Cricket Putting Lumia 650 On Sale Starting Friday 10/07/16 (It's Back!!!)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cricket Putting Lumia 650 On Sale Starting Friday 10/07/16

Thanks for the heads up, RumoredNow! Could you shed some light on how this works? Is this essentially a contract? Or is moving a number to Cricket simply moving a number to Cricket?

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up, RumoredNow! Could you shed some light on how this works? Is this essentially a contract? Or is moving a number to Cricket simply moving a number to Cricket?

Thanks!

Porting your number in is just that... Moving your existing number to Cricket's service. Cricket won't ever sell a phone without activating it onto their network. Add in the hard SIM lockdown policy and it explains why they can sell many different phones at very low prices. They make their money on the service, the phones are the sweet candy that lures you in. :winktongue:

It is prepaid, no contract service. You can port your number away any time you like, but Cricket is betting you will like the prices and service so much you will stay with them. They have very competitive pricing and great coverage in most of the US. You can check that coverage here: https://www.cricketwireless.com/map.html

Data speeds are capped at 8mbps for LTE, 4mbps for H+. I find it plenty fast enough for my use and I traveled all over the western US last October with no service issues.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Porting your number in is just that... Moving your existing number to Cricket's service. Cricket won't ever sell a phone without activating it onto their network. Add in the hard SIM lockdown policy and it explains why they can sell many different phones at very low prices. They make their money on the service, the phones are the sweet candy that lures you in. :winktongue:

It is prepaid, no contract service. You can port your number away any time you like, but Cricket is betting you will like the prices and service so much you will stay with them. They have very competitive pricing and great coverage in most of the US. You can check that coverage here: https://www.cricketwireless.com/map.html

Data speeds are capped at 8mbps for LTE, 4mbps for H+. I find it plenty fast enough for my use and I traveled all over the western US last October with no service issues.

So hypothetically speaking, you could move your number over, use the phone for a few months, then port the number else where and there would be no additional penalties or charges? The phone would be yours, you just couldn't use it on any other carrier except Cricket?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

So hypothetically speaking, you could move your number over, use the phone for a few months, then port the number else where and there would be no additional penalties or charges? The phone would be yours, you just couldn't use it on any other carrier except Cricket?

Well... What you would want to do then is get the $70 plan the first month and that qualifies for an unlock. 6 months of any service or 1 month at $70. https://www.cricketwireless.com/legal-info/device-unlock-policy.html

So if you port in at a store waiving the activation fee because you are porting over from anyone other than AT&T your cost would be $70 for the plan and the tax on the phone (I think you still pay the tax...)

There is no penalty or fee to port your number away, but like all prepaid carriers there is no refund for unused service if you leave during a billing cycle.

Note that at all times, with any carrier, to port a number it needs to be active. If the number is suspended for not paying the monthly service fee you can't port it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've been happy with Cricket for like 18 months. I have no plans to port away. So I can't get a free 650. :crying:

However, I'm seriously considering a $50 Lumia 650 + $25 Upgrade Fee. I won't worry about the Unlock until 6 months down the road and that would be unlocking just because I can. Group Save on Cricket saves me $100 a month on my 5 lines and I just can't find a better deal when I shop plans. If you have multiple lines, moving them to Cricket will likely save you $$$ and every line ported in can get a great price on a new phone. It isn't just Lumia. Something is always on sale if you port in. Check their site for current phone deals.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Gotta do this thing...

Going into Cricket today for a Lumia 650 and a Mozo Glam case in clear w/ gold trim. Probably will even get an overpriced screen protector from them just to round it out.

#NeedPhoneFixBAD

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Hahaha @RumoredNow, I just switched carriers to get that free Lumia 650 deal =D

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

i tried to get this friday but they didn't have any. they said they are being sent so should get it soon. called saturday like they said and still didn't have. my service with net10 ends in 26 so if they don't have any in the store monday i think i will have to move number from net10 at&t sim card to the net10 tmobile sim card then move number to cricket online to get phone free. the website won't let me do it because it thinks i am using at&t but the store will do it if they had the phone. who knew it would be so much work to give a business money for service.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

ok they got the phone. i am resting it now because they wouldn't listen to me and let me do oobe when they turned it on because they needed to make a test call. i just wanted to set it up like a new phone instead of whatever settings they did turning it on. idiots.

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

Hey Rumored - We've both used used 640 & 830. Please let us know how the 650 performs compared to those. I'm getting the new phone itch again, and this is quite a bargain

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey Rumored - We've both used used 640 & 830. Please let us know how the 650 performs compared to those. I'm getting the new phone itch again, and this is quite a bargain

It's not an 830. That phone is under-appreciated, IMO.

I am happy enough with my 650 that I gifted my 640 to my mother-in-law. She needed the larger screen and now we have her old 635 running their hotspot for their house. I'm also happy enough with Lumia 650 I made it my daily driver and have retired my Lumia 1520.3 to dedicated duty as a Camera and Travel Aid. I'm still looking for the Cerulean phone to be my next daily, but I can live on the 650 indefinitely.

650 Pros vs 640:
  • 16GB internal storage. I don't think I'll ever go after an 8GB device again. It just doesn't cut it anymore. I like my Apps and Maps on internal for stability and speed. Can't live on 8GB any longer.
  • Made for W10M so you get exclusive features like call recorder and the potential for tap-to-pay. Plus it would appear to have front line support. I will say I'm not sure Cricket will pass on the firmware for DTtW though.
  • For an OLED screen it seems to do just as well in Sunlight as an LCD. I'm more pleased with the screen than I thought I'd be as an IPS guy. Crisp and nice color saturation without being garish.
  • The rear camera takes very nice pics. They may be better than 640's. That just may be the advanced version # of Microsoft Camera since I last held a 640 though. The ffc is definitely better if that matters to you.
  • Super slim, light weight and pocketable.
650 Cons vs 640:
  • Battery life is not the best. I easily get 1 day as a moderate user on 650. I'll never get 2 days out of this phone like 640 routinely gave me.
  • Jury is still out, but I don't think we will ever see the proliferation of extra backs and accessories that 640 enjoys.

Would I make the same move again? Absolutely. 650 to replace a 640 seems like a good move. 650 to replace an 830? Only if the 830 was being problematic.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

was at cricket canceling insurance and they said price will go back up in a week. i thought $50 was the new price now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

was at cricket canceling insurance and they said price will go back up in a week. i thought $50 was the new price now.

Try #3 this app. Sucks.
Hope this deal lasts past 12th. I want to port a number for free 650.

Tomorrow, Thursday November 3rd is the last day it is free with port in.

November 4 it goes $49.99 no matter what. New port in from anyone but AT&T still waives the $25 Activation Fee, AT&T ports pay the $25 Activation and Cricket customers pay $25 upgrade fee.

So $50 or $75, depending...

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

think i made a mistake. told people how i like windows phone and stuff and there was free phones at cricket if you change numbers and 2 friends got lumia 650. now i am going to have to be the one to update and set stuff up because i am the only one that knows this stuff. why did i have to say anything.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

think i made a mistake. told people how i like windows phone and stuff and there was free phones at cricket if you change numbers and 2 friends got lumia 650. now i am going to have to be the one to update and set stuff up because i am the only one that knows this stuff. why did i have to say anything.

Aw, but at least now you know other people with Windows phones :grin: It feels hard sometimes to be the lone soldier.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

Ok, made jump last night with porting three lines to cricket. What a hassle though had to make two extra accounts to get the three lines and three lumias. My account doesn't roll until 11th so I hope I can get all three accounts merged as I was told on customer service.
Should have phones by Tuesday.

If all this works out i will move home phone line for a free fifth line at cricket.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

Seems like you might be able to get 8gb for $50 plan and apparently you keep it till you change to another plan. I got my phone before they were doing 8gb but they added it for me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss