Annoyances that MSFT isn't taking mobile serious

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
This whole windows 10 mobile lifecycle since last November has been really painful. It's clear MSFT isn't putting a serious effort on Mobile. If they are from a financial standpoint, then they have a really bad development team.

Just another example of their incompetence....I read that the latest Redstone 2 update had a fix of mobile hot spot not working at times and having to reboot the phone to get this to work. This was a bug in the original Windows 10 release, and they fixed it. What really shows how bad their development teams are is that it wasn't "cherry picked" to the other branches of code. As a developer worth anything, you know to fix issues in the current production branch, and propagate them to any forward branches. You would think a company who epitomizes software development would enforce this.

Methinks the inmates are running the asylum on the windows 10 mobile side.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
This whole windows 10 mobile lifecycle since last November has been really painful. It's clear MSFT isn't putting a serious effort on Mobile. If they are from a financial standpoint, then they have a really bad development team.

Just another example of their incompetence....I read that the latest Redstone 2 update had a fix of mobile hot spot not working at times and having to reboot the phone to get this to work. This was a bug in the original Windows 10 release, and they fixed it. What really shows how bad their development teams are is that it wasn't "cherry picked" to the other branches of code. As a developer worth anything, you know to fix issues in the current production branch, and propagate them to any forward branches. You would think a company who epitomizes software development would enforce this.

Methinks the inmates are running the asylum on the windows 10 mobile side.

Well it is easy to criticize when you are on the outside and you can easily see all of the mistakes. However, it might be a completely different version of events happening inside of Microsoft. And I know they definitely have been having several big shakeups especially in mobile, so is pretty easy to understand why some of the issues keep cropping back up. On another note, code can be very tricky. You think you have a bug fixed and you add a new feature or tweak something slightly and suddenly the issue you thought was fixed is back in full force. It is not as easy as one might think to keep a bug permanently fixed.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well it is easy to criticize when you are on the outside and you can easily see all of the mistakes. However, it might be a completely different version of events happening inside of Microsoft. And I know they definitely have been having several big shakeups especially in mobile, so is pretty easy to understand why some of the issues keep cropping back up. On another note, code can be very tricky. You think you have a bug fixed and you add a new feature or tweak something slightly and suddenly the issue you thought was fixed is back in full force. It is not as easy as one might think to keep a bug permanently fixed.

Thats why we have software engineering principles and design guidelines, if they are just hacking lines of code, debugging and fixing might be difficult, but not so much if they have followed modularization and object oriented design. in short its inexcusable.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thats why we have software engineering principles and design guidelines, if they are just hacking lines of code, debugging and fixing might be difficult, but not so much if they have followed modularization and object oriented design. in short its inexcusable.

Even using principles and guidelines you can run into all kinds of problems. And modularization and object oriented design do not alleviate any of the coding issues. They are to help organize the code. It's not a solution for avoiding bugs or other issues. Every tech company has issues with their software, Microsoft is not the only one. It just happens to be the only company that is mostly universally hated and when they fail everyone gets up and jumps up and down, dancing, high-fiving each other because their favorite company to hate on failed at something else.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, fixing a bug can break something else, but when you see a specific bug fixed in production, and then it crops up as finally fixed in the future branches, that is poor software development lifecycle management. They also did a horrible job porting windows 8.1 features to windows 10. I don't know how you could release the next major version of software with less features than the previous version....that's like software development 101.

I love MSFT, but stop making excuses for them. They should be the best software development shop in the world, and they are clearly worse than many regular software development companies out there.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, fixing a bug can break something else, but when you see a specific bug fixed in production, and then it crops up as finally fixed in the future branches, that is poor software development lifecycle management. They also did a horrible job porting windows 8.1 features to windows 10. I don't know how you could release the next major version of software with less features than the previous version....that's like software development 101.

I love MSFT, but stop making excuses for them. They should be the best software development shop in the world, and they are clearly worse than many regular software development companies out there.

Look, you don't have to agree with me and that's fine. Continue going on with your opinions. But my opinion is that it is easy to criticize when you are on the outside looking in. We have no idea what is going on internally. Expecting software to be perfectly usable with no errors simply because they are a major software development company is pretty ridiculous. Especially once you take into consideration what has happened to the team responsible for Windows 10 Mobile. There's not that many developers left involved with it and it has gone through several management changes. All of that can and does affect the code (as we can all tell).

I'm not making excuses for them, I am being realistic. Knowing everything that I know about the mobile department at Microsoft they are actually doing pretty well. Getting rid of QA really did not help anything and is a mistake from my view. And about less features in Windows 10 Mobile compared to Windows Phone 8.1, if I remember correctly it was a complete rewrite (again) of the OS. So of course it is going to be released with less features. Also, it did not help that they gave themselves such a short window to complete it (another mistake in my opinion) and you could tell because the dates kept slipping. But that is a double-edged sword because then you have everyone complaining because they haven't release yet, but if they do release then you have everyone complaining that it's not finished. They opted for the latter and look at what happened.

In other words it does not matter what Microsoft (or any software company) does there will always be complaints. I'm only suggesting that looking at everything put together of what we know about the mobile department and they are doing some amazing work. Try counting on one hand everything that does work, not to mention what Continuum can do

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Continuum is a joke, a gimmick...I was so excited to use it on my projector in my basement to watch some college football on Watch ESPN....oh yea 90% of the apps don't work in Continuum mode...so I can write emails, surf the web, and reply to text messages with a keyboard. It's a gimmick.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
A tad off topic but... IMO they (MS) are not taking W10 in general serious if my trial and tribulations are any indication, after the AU for PC I ended up with a mountain of work ahead and already spent too many hours/days trying to resolve issues instilled upon several PCs by these updates. This is totally inexcusable if my percentage of success is any indication, really feels like there's a backwards movement going on since the inception of 10.

Back on track... Gave up on Windows Phone a few months ago but still have my L830 for toying with, OS has become very uninspiring now although we do wish the outcome had been different. Don't worry about the "less" part because "soon" the rest will follow LOL... Or maybe not ;).

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is a joke, a gimmick...I was so excited to use it on my projector in my basement to watch some college football on Watch ESPN....oh yea 90% of the apps don't work in Continuum mode...so I can write emails, surf the web, and reply to text messages with a keyboard. It's a gimmick.

I agree, for the time being. But everything good has to start somewhere. Remember how bad the first iPhone was compared to its rivals at the time? It didn't even have copy/paste until ios 3.0 i think. Now look at it.

If anything, Continuum is what Microsoft is betting the bank on. If they don't get it right, it's going to be bad. It will improve.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Depends on what you use it for. Were you not able to open ESPN from Edge using Continuum? For me, Continuum is doing everything I want for now and hoping that it gets better. I know the limitations of it and for that I have a Surface Pro 3 to fall back on. Continuum definitely has room to improve and I really hope they go all in on it.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree, for the time being. But everything good has to start somewhere. Remember how bad the first iPhone was compared to its rivals at the time? It didn't even have copy/paste until ios 3.0 i think. Now look at it.

If anything, Continuum is what Microsoft is betting the bank on. If they don't get it right, it's going to be bad. It will improve.

Their last shot will be getting full windows 10 in mobile phone. It's a shame Intel stopped Atom development, maybe the next Intel chips are mobile phone worthy from a power management standpoint.

I don't see why in 2-5 years your laptop is your phone for 90% of work. Only a handful of professions would need the power of a stronger laptop/PC. I also love the ASUS portable screen, that is a great idea, pack that up with your phone, Bluetooth keyboard, and you have a laptop replacement when needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077