Problem with Lumia 950 and Wireless Display Adapter

No6

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
The Adapter works flawlessly with my Surface Pro 3 but it ignores the phone completely. The firmware has been updated using the Surface and still no success. Can anyone shed some light to this, good or bad? The device is quite useless to me if the phone (plus the wife's) can't communicate with it, since I can always connect the Surface to the TV by means of a simple cable and save a few dollars.

Any nudge to the right direction is appreciated.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The Adapter works flawlessly with my Surface Pro 3 but it ignores the phone completely. The firmware has been updated using the Surface and still no success. Can anyone shed some light to this, good or bad? The device is quite useless to me if the phone (plus the wife's) can't communicate with it, since I can always connect the Surface to the TV by means of a simple cable and save a few dollars.

Any nudge to the right direction is appreciated.

Do you have wifi turned on, on the phone(s)?

No6

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Update: Wife came home from work, I tried connecting her phone to the Wireless Adapter again, and this time it connected. Mine still doesn't connect and I'm the geek in the family. So, I can't figure out what's different, I set up both phones myself when we got them, and they have identical setups.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Update: Wife came home from work, I tried connecting her phone to the Wireless Adapter again, and this time it connected. Mine still doesn't connect and I'm the geek in the family. So, I can't figure out what's different, I set up both phones myself when we got them, and they have identical setups.

Although most people really hate this option, have you tried a hard reset?

No6

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I reset the phone and now it connects. I which I knew what went wrong, restoring a backup reverts back to not being able to connect.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I got this adapter in a bundle with the purchase of my lumia 950xl (Microsoft foldable keyboard was also included). I had this problem too with my phone connecting but not showing anything on a Haier 32" TV.

What I did is I connected it to a 42 inch Samsung tv and it worked. Updated the adapter's firmware and got it working on both TVs.

I'm glad you got it working with a reset. now you can enjoy continuum.

What I like about continuum is I can always watch youtube while using the phone. Also, you can always switch to screen mirroring from display settings when your phone is connected.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I got this adapter in a bundle with the purchase of my lumia 950xl (Microsoft foldable keyboard was also included). I had this problem too with my phone connecting but not showing anything on a Haier 32" TV.

What I did is I connected it to a 42 inch Samsung tv and it worked. Updated the adapter's firmware and got it working on both TVs.

I'm glad you got it working with a reset. now you can enjoy continuum.

What I like about continuum is I can always watch youtube while using the phone. Also, you can always switch to screen mirroring from display settings when your phone is connected.

What is screen mirroring? Maybe it's just me, but that's the first time I've heard that

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
When using an external screen like in this case, you have the option if either continuum (i.e. Independent screen) or just mirror you phone's screen. That's what it means, and in the phone's screen configuration when you're connected you can change it.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Reason I asked is there is a hd10 screen mirror device which uses NFC to connect, does your adapter need internet connection to work, ie home network or does is communicate directly with the wireless display adapter, considering my options. Thanks.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried plugging the USB into a different port? If you don't have a different port plug the usb into your surface just for it to get power and test it. And make sure you are not on an insider build.

EDIT: Oh you fixed it.

Yah that's why I never recommend restoring backups. The backup can actually mess up your phone, it's sort of absurd but I guess that's why MS is in no rush to promote windows mobile.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
When using an external screen like in this case, you have the option if either continuum (i.e. Independent screen) or just mirror you phone's screen. That's what it means, and in the phone's screen configuration when you're connected you can change it.

Thanks daimv! that's the answer.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I did not know this! Where is that option at? Definitely going to try that out

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
When connected to an external display via continuum, on the touchpad screen tap the (...) -> Display settings -> Advanced settings -> Mirror what's on my device.

Last edited:

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Try using a Microsoft HD-10 Miracast adapter. I was using it during the w8.1 days, now that I have a L950, continuum works with it well and wirelessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3