Had an emergency, Had to use Continuum

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So, I have a nice comfy office, in the garage, complete with concrete floor, unpainted drywall and 2 cat litter boxes. Was just getting ready to join meeting, when my device rebooted and went into an update. I panicked. Then I remembered....I have the doc, I have cables, I have a monitor, I have a keyboard and mouse....why not. So I connected to Continuum

The setup took about 3 minutes. the hardest part was switching the monitor port settings. I connected, logged ot the meeting and used the spreadsheets I needed. It worked. No one knew I was on Continuum. The spreadsheet usage was a touch slow...and having to toggle back and forth in the meeting between my device and Skype..but it did work.

I'm not sure this can be a full time thing yet...especially with Skype not continuum supported, but it worked in a pinch.

PS

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So, I have a nice comfy office, in the garage, complete with concrete floor, unpainted drywall and 2 cat litter boxes. Was just getting ready to join meeting, when my device rebooted and went into an update. I panicked. Then I remembered....I have the doc, I have cables, I have a monitor, I have a keyboard and mouse....why not. So I connected to Continuum

The setup took about 3 minutes. the hardest part was switching the monitor port settings. I connected, logged ot the meeting and used the spreadsheets I needed. It worked. No one knew I was on Continuum. The spreadsheet usage was a touch slow...and having to toggle back and forth in the meeting between my device and Skype..but it did work.

I'm not sure this can be a full time thing yet...especially with Skype not continuum supported, but it worked in a pinch.

PS

"2 cat litter boxes" :) lol, sounds very comfy

On the continuum note I think that is pretty cool that it worked for you! I'm definitely looking forward to windowing so the toggling isn't such a huge deal. I personally get the most out of Continuum when I'm traveling (hooking up to TVs at hotels is so simple - Netflix, movies, etc). I do wish they would somehow provide slightly faster usage but I'm using the Wireless display adapter so I know that increases latency.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I haven't actually needed Continuum yet, but I have taken it on a couple of shakedown cruises. Doing work on a 49" SONY TV screen with a full keyboard and mouse on a lapboard in my easy chair is WAY too comfortable. I don't see how this can possibly contribute to increased productivity, but it feels like it could definitely lead to increased comfort and good will during periods of normal productivity.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Summer_Moon
Originally Posted by alodar101

PS

On the continuum note I think that is pretty cool that it worked for you! I'm definitely looking forward to windowing so the toggling isn't such a huge deal. I personally get the most out of Continuum when I'm traveling (hooking up to TVs at hotels is so simple - Netflix, movies, etc). I do wish they would somehow provide slightly faster usage but I'm using the Wireless display adapter so I know that increases latency.
. I think your point is clear. Its easy to setup and use. It works on the fly. I no longer have issues working in this manor. This is a nice addition to my readiness.

mrmobileperformance

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Pack an HDMI cable.

Sent from mTalk

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, what do you mean by Skype not supported in Continuum?
I've tried a skype call on my 950 (production build), connected to my 55" samsung tv by miracast. Skype UWP was full screen on the tv, and it used correctly my 950 FFC for the video.

Some features from the PC UWA are missing, like translation etc. but it works well over continuum.

Interested in knowing what you meant (to add suggestions in the feedback hub ^^)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Got to admit I have a bit of trouble with Microsoft's strategy at times, come up with something like Continuum at the same time as you withdraw from marketing. A bit like bringing out the 950 and XL when the software wasn't ready, then when they get the software ready they pull the phones..................

I have told a couple of people about it, they shrug their shoulders, shown one person and he went out that day and bought a 950XL.

I think Continuum is one of those better than sliced bread moments, and along with Skype SMS using your Windows phones allowance's and "Use anywhere" apps (Not the same as UWP's apparently) but only the selected few are allowed to know about it.

Crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos