Lumia 950 XL: should i replace my screen or throw the phone ?

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello

Ive had the 950 xl for about 7 months and last week i dropped the phone and all the screen is cracked sensors are off screen is off and all cracked but the phone is still working i can hear the sound of the notifications and when i plug the charger but when i connect it to the pc it only make the charging sound and the pc dont get the phone as a usb device.

is there a problem other than the screen like sensors IRS scanner or other sensors and front camera could there be another problem in the phone other than just broken glass
or i can just replace the screen and everything will be ok
note: when i dropped the phone it got tilted like 20 degree from half and the battery onside but its still working

thanks20161011_004107.jpg

Last edited:

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello

Ive had the 950 xl for about 7 months and last week i dropped the phone and all the screen is cracked sensors are off screen is off and all cracked but the phone is still working i can hear the sound of the notifications and when i plug the charger but when i connect it to the pc it only make the charging sound and the pc dont get the phone as a usb device.

is there a problem other than the screen like sensors IRS scanner or other sensors and front camera could there be another problem in the phone other than just broken glass
or i can just replace the screen and everything will be ok
note: when i dropped the phone it got tilted like 20 degree from half and the battery onside but its still working

thanks

Oooooh that's kind of a tricky question there. There is no telling what all may have broken. If you are approaching this from a DIY fix angle then it will probably be a trial and error scenario until it's fully fixed. Did you get any kind of protection warranty from Microsoft when you purchased it? It really probably needs to go to customer service center to be fixed.

On another note, I really hope it does not have an IRS scanner :)

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Oooooh that's kind of a tricky question there. There is no telling what all may have broken. If you are approaching this from a DIY fix angle then it will probably be a trial and error scenario until it's fully fixed. Did you get any kind of protection warranty from Microsoft when you purchased it? It really probably needs to go to customer service center to be fixed.

On another note, I really hope it does not have an IRS scanner :)

check the photo i just uploaded in the first post
I read on reddit now that in order to read the phone files on pc phone need to be unlocked from IRIS ;) or pin ...
i think the sensors led are related to screen
can anyone confirm

in my country there is no Microsoft store the retailer can still get me a new screen but i need to check if im not going to fix an already broken phone

mixaogion

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I read on reddit now that in order to read the phone files on pc phone need to be unlocked from IRIS ;) or pin ...
can anyone confirm

in my country there is no Microsoft store the retailer can still get me a new screen but i need to check if im not going to fix an already broken phone
In my painful experience, it can be costly to replace the screen. The cheapest quote I got was $215 (shipping included), probably doesn't make much sense when you can buy a brand new phone for $400, or get a used one for less than $350.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
can anyone confirm

Based on your picture it really looks like it's just the glass covering the screen. But the screen does not turn on right? So there may be other damage, rather hard to tell until you get it apart and look.

I'm not sure how the screen comes if you order one. It might be a kind of all in one unit that includes the sensors, I'm really not sure. I bet you could probably just replace the screen and everything would be good, but like mixaogion noted it can be expensive (plus no real guarantee it will fix it) and a brand new one may be a better option.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
if you buy a lcd assembly with fram (includes the outer glass, lcd, and frame already assembled), then it's just a matter of taking some things off the old one, and putting them on the new. really isn't too hard - I've done it a few times. I doubt that the sensors and such are damaged by a screen-breaking drop.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is why i got the Microsoft complete. They just exchange it in this case. Though not sure how this will work now that they are clearing lumia stock.

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Based on your picture it really looks like it's just the glass covering the screen. But the screen does not turn on right? So there may be other damage, rather hard to tell until you get it apart and look.

I'm not sure how the screen comes if you order one. It might be a kind of all in one unit that includes the sensors, I'm really not sure. I bet you could probably just replace the screen and everything would be good, but like mixaogion noted it can be expensive (plus no real guarantee it will fix it) and a brand new one may be a better option.

i ordered a new screen from a retail store it should cost around 200$ . I cant let this phone die

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
i ordered a new screen from a retail store it should cost around 200$ . I cant let this phone die

Let us know how it goes. It's not too hard to do - just go slow. Don't force out the motherboard - this one has that liquid cooling feature, and if I remember correctly, it kind of runs down the side. Take your time, and slowly unscrew, unclip everything, and put it back together slowly.

I have replaced probably a few hundred screens on all sorts of Lumia models (HTC One M8, iPhones, LG's, on and on), and no matter how bad they looked outside, I haven't seen too much inside damage unless there is water damage or maybe bending.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Like what gordonfink said, let us know how it goes! You can't take too much time to repair it so just be careful and do things slowly without forcing anything. You don't want to break anything else during the process. Good luck!

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
after two months im still unable to find a new screen my phone is in the box in the closet still broken sorry for laaaate update :(:
been using note 3 for the last two months from note 4 to 950 xl back to note 3

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I cracked the screen on my 950 XL on Christmas day. The new phone now only costs half the price of when it was first launch. I called up the service center and asked about the repair cost. I was informed that the screen+display cost half the price of a new phone and I still need to pay for labor. I tried searching on eBay and the screen+display cost about the same as what the service center quoted.
Is it possible to just to change the front screen and use back the old display. Have anyone successfully separated the screen from the display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos