2 foot drop for 950xl onto soft floor causes fried screen, cracked LED

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Put this square in the "this phone is made of paper" bucket. Had my 950xl knocked out of my hand where it fell bout 2 feet onto a squishy laminate floor. It fell flat on the face of the phone. I picked it up not thinking anything would be wrong (it didn't even make a sound) - and to my horror I found the screen was now just activating a single flashing line across the top of the device and there were multiple small fractures in the LED - not the glass. My ICON fell from MUCH greater heights and always survived. This is the first real drop for this phone - and ONE drop killed it. Guess I am about to go look at an X3. At least it is supposed to be able to survive normal falls.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your phone broke. I lost a 950 to a drop. The screen itself broke, but not the digitizer.

A few years ago, you would see videos of people doing drop tests to see how survivable a phone is, but it was always silly. No drop is the same. You may hear of someone who drops their phone down a flight of steps and pick it up and it works fine, but like your situation, a small fall that seems survivable breaks a phone.

I don't think it speaks to the fragility of a particular phone as much as each drop is unique. If it falls on concrete, or the phone hits on it's edge of the glass, you have a better chance of a break. Not to mention any phone can suffer damage from a fall even if it appears that it doesn't. Years ago, I wrote on this board how dropping my Lumia 920 ended up detaching the antenna cable inside the phone, resulting in me needing to tear the phone apart and reconnecting the antenna.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your phone broke. I lost a 950 to a drop. The screen itself broke, but not the digitizer.

A few years ago, you would see videos of people doing drop tests to see how survivable a phone is, but it was always silly. No drop is the same. You may hear of someone who drops their phone down a flight of steps and pick it up and it works fine, but like your situation, a small fall that seems survivable breaks a phone.

I don't think it speaks to the fragility of a particular phone as much as each drop is unique. If it falls on concrete, or the phone hits on it's edge of the glass, you have a better chance of a break. Not to mention any phone can suffer damage from a fall even if it appears that it doesn't. Years ago, I wrote on this board how dropping my Lumia 920 ended up detaching the antenna cable inside the phone, resulting in me needing to tear the phone apart and reconnecting the antenna.

Yeah, and sometimes something else other than the screen might get broken or displaced. For example, the camera lens might get tilted to an angle or the speaker might get damaged.
My 640XL has survived falls from different situations and heights. Nothing broken so far, I think.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Put this square in the "this phone is made of paper" bucket. Had my 950xl knocked out of my hand where it fell bout 2 feet onto a squishy laminate floor. It fell flat on the face of the phone.
Ugh, that sucks. I had a 1520 tip over from leaning on its side, so it "fell" at most 2 inches, also flat on its face on a wooden floor. Completely and utterly shattered the front glass, just amazing. I guess it's a matter of hitting it just right. :(

For reasons like this I usually get MS Complete, but since they now only cover one incident with a $100 deductible, it's not worth it. Maybe HP has a better protection plan, worth a look.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Took it into the Microsoft store this morning. They couldn't even pull up whether or not I had Complete care on it (can't remember if I bought it when I got the phone - I buy too much sh!t). One of the techs came out to take a look at it and said the cost to repair would be the PRICE OF THE PHONE! What? He didn't even know what the price of the phone was when I asked - so he is just going to quote whatever the cost of a new phone would be. I ended up just buying an X3. Got the x3 home, restored the backup, ran the update, and found the x3 decided to replace my 950xl backup without as much as a prompt - so if I don't like this phone and decide to return it for another 950xl, I can't go back to my last backup! WTF?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Got the x3 home, restored the backup, ran the update, and found the x3 decided to replace my 950xl backup without as much as a prompt - so if I don't like this phone and decide to return it for another 950xl, I can't go back to my last backup! WTF?
Yeah, the backup situation on WP need work imo. I've complained about it before.. Well, at least: congrats on your new phone, hope you did manage to successfully restore to the x3. If so, a new 950XL should also be able to restore from the new backup as well.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I was in my buddies backyard not too long ago and had my 950 xl in my front shirt pocket. We started playing with a soccer ball and I jumped up and it flew out of my pocket and landed flat on the ground where the concrete walkway was made. To my surprise i only got 3 tiny scratches that are barely noticeable unless you look at the perfect angle with screen off. So I think it's really just bad luck with how things fall.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Phones are either in a case or have cracked screens. I prefer to use a case, which is why I could care less what a phone looks like. I don't care how careful someone is, accidents happen to everyone--everyone!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Lucky ones, as mentioned by others, a phone can break from a nothing fall, another one of the same model will survive a much bigger drop.

Mine 950XL is now in a leather case and my wife has a nice leather case waiting for her for her birthday next week when she gets her 950.

Dropped my 1520 from my motorbike (Not moving) onto the road surface, plastic case broke on one corner, phone survived, case took the blow.

PS my boy is giving her the case, and then we are waiting until she tries to fit her 830 in it and discovering it doesn't fit before I give her the 950 :angel:

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
There is no two ways about it, the 950xl is too fragile.

I've broken the screen twice.

The latest time was this past Saturday. It fell less than 2 feet from a bench onto the ground and the digitizer and screen just stopped working.
At first there was not even a crack on the screen and then slowly a hairline crack went across the middle of the screen and as it did the screen went black.

The phone was in a heavy duty case with a rubber base and a hard plastic outer cover and also had a tempered glass screen protector on it.

Now if I want to fix it I'll have to fork out another $200 and mail it off to Palco because no one local knows how to fix these.

Its ridiculous.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list of shattered screens. It seems if there's any impact that touches the black metal rim around the screen, then the screen cracks or shatters. I had a tempered glass screen protector and a case and a less than 1 foot "fall" shattered my screen underneath the screen protector. The only other mark on the phone was a small dent in that black metal rim.

At least Palco is trustworthy and does good work...would rather pay $200 rather than $400 for a new phone.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list of shattered screens. It seems if there's any impact that touches the black metal rim around the screen, then the screen cracks or shatters. I had a tempered glass screen protector and a case and a less than 1 foot "fall" shattered my screen underneath the screen protector. The only other mark on the phone was a small dent in that black metal rim.

At least Palco is trustworthy and does good work...would rather pay $200 rather than $400 for a new phone.

What phone model are you talking about exactly?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the backup situation on WP need work imo. I've complained about it before.. Well, at least: congrats on your new phone, hope you did manage to successfully restore to the x3. If so, a new 950XL should also be able to restore from the new backup as well.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Yeah, I filed a bunch of feedback items on this, never got a single reply.
Saying it "needs work" is putting it pretty nicely. The problem is compounded by the lack of any real alternative too, no other way to really back things up.
Anytime I was doing a reset or similar, it was agonizing, wondering if my backup was going to work, or if I'd be spending a couple of hours re-constructing everything...

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Odd there are complaints about the backup for Windows Phone.

When I broke my 950xl screen I turned a old 640 back on and restored from latest backup. Went off without a hitch, and the backup even contained my local app data so I did not lose a thing!
Yesterday I got my hands on a 1520 and did a restore to it, backup went off equally as smooth. The 640 had already done a backup and the 1520 restored from that one flawlessly.

What exactly is causing y'all grief with the backup/restore process?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is causing y'all grief with the backup/restore process?
See my thread about WP backup. It's not a very active thread, so I guess most people are happier than me. :)

I guess the summary is that many app developers haven't bothered to enable the new style backup and restore compatibility, so while restore mostly works, for many apps it doesn't. More of the WP10 settings are restored these days, but there are still things that you have to redo.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So I experienced a number of scenarios, where almost nothing restored, and others where quite a few settings restored, and almost no apps (as mentioned a lot developers haven't updated to WP10 restore, and probably won't).
Once on my wife's 950, I did a reset (it got all kinds of messed-up, couldn't call, phone was almost hard-hung), and it only restored the background and a couple of other items. My guess is that the backup had gotten overwritten during the corruption, and the restore was the corrupted settings. Ended up starting from scratch, spent a lot of time trying to get everything back to "normal", and then she fiddled for a bit, nobody was very happy about it.
On another occasion, I kept getting the "dim screen" issue, at wake, so I ended up doing a hard-reset. Again, it appeared as if my restore came from a corrupted set of data, as almost nothing restored, apps tried to install, but failed, more or less I had to set up from scratch again.

I've had several hard resets, when running slow-ring, that were varying degrees of successful, I always had to go and re-set-up the power settings, for example, and a few other things, at a minimum.

After AU, I did another hard reset, when things got really bad on my Release Preview ring build, and it took me several hours to get things back, virtually nothing restored. That was probably the beginning of the end for me, the instability, not knowing if a reset was going to take hours to rebuild, etc.

Compare that to my 6P, where I had to do one reset (coming back from Android 7.0 preview to RTM), and it took me about 5 minutes, back to 100% restored.

In the W8M days, the restore process was like my current Android one, it was pretty much 100%, you just got back to exactly where you were. A couple of my hard resets were close, with the exception of some settings, but it seems like they should be moving back to the 8.1 restore-reliability, not away?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12