How is X3 camera after update?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing I have noticed most reviewers state before the update was that the x3 flash would blow out most shots and that the camera was locked at 10mp (even though it is a 16mp cam). Has anything changed since the update?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
One thing I have noticed most reviewers state before the update was that the x3 flash would blow out most shots and that the camera was locked at 10mp (even though it is a 16mp cam). Has anything changed since the update?
The camera is 10mp in 16x9 and 16mp in 4x3.

Not sure why.

P10M1DL.jpg

Sent from mTalk

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
That is normal......16:9 crops the top and bottom, so it does no use the whole sensor area.....4:3 is the standard ratio, mainly a hold over from the film days and prints.......photo originally posted by xandros9.....
2T9W8CW.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
at this point in time even after the update my 650 takes better quality pictures and is faster at processing the pictures. I will revisit the X3 once the bugs and camera are worked out.

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Any chance they'll put back in the QR reader functionality? I would love to be able to use the WhatsApp desktop client again (worked with my L640).

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Flash was fixed with the firmware update. It's not perfect, doesn't do the cool Lumia stuff (post-edit control), and it can blow out when close/light materials are nearby, but it can also do some decent photos.

Pics from today: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

K22MDL

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Let's face it, the camera/or software (who knows) is very very poor for a phone in 2016. I can't honestly remember that far back to compare the camera to. It's that bad. :unhappy:

I chuckled when someone posted that this is a business phone and things like camera quality isn't high up on the priority list. At the moment it is usable but only just. If you can get the thing to focus that is. And don't even think about using the flash.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Let's face it, the camera/or software (who knows) is very very poor for a phone in 2016. I can't honestly remember that far back to compare the camera to. It's that bad. :unhappy:

I chuckled when someone posted that this is a business phone and things like camera quality isn't high up on the priority list. At the moment it is usable but only just. If you can get the thing to focus that is. And don't even think about using the flash.

Do you own this phone? Because I don't see many people who do own and use it complain. If so, post your samples.

Here are mine taken yesterday for the review: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So no, don't include me in the "us". The camera quality is average and the FF camera for video outperformed an iPhone 7 Plus (Mark Guim, our videographer agrees on that too).

The camera is slow to focus but HP reportedly have an update coming out to fix that. They will get there, but their hands are tied as to how much they can do with the OS. Microsoft and Nokia cheated a bit by not using their own SDK for the camera, which is why things like the 1020 happened.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an X3 since ~ 2 Weeks and the Camera is OK but if i Compare it with my now ~ 3 Year Old 1520 the 1520 Outperforms the x3 nearly at all Pictures.

So it's not 100% Wrong to say the Camera is a bit Poor for a 2016 800$ Phone even with Business as Target Audience (i work in Mobile Device Support for a Big Company ).

Still the Camera is not as Bad as some think/tell but it is really slow to Focus and in the Dark the Focus Sometimes does not Work at All. (Tried to take a Picture of Frankfurt Skyline this Weekend and hat to use Manual Focus to even get the Device to do any Picture)

But i am otherwise Happy with the Device (Bettery is Outstanding, hell it is the best i ever used!) and Look Forward to see what Improvements HP can do to it by Firmware Updates in the Future.

K22MDL

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you own this phone? Because I don't see many people who do own and use it complain. If so, post your samples.

Here are mine taken yesterday for the review: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So no, don't include me in the "us". The camera quality is average and the FF camera for video outperformed an iPhone 7 Plus (Mark Guim, our videographer agrees on that too).

The camera is slow to focus but HP reportedly have an update coming out to fix that. They will get there, but their hands are tied as to how much they can do with the OS. Microsoft and Nokia cheated a bit by not using their own SDK for the camera, which is why things like the 1020 happened.

Yes, of course I own the phone, would you like the serial number?!! Not sure what you meant by don't include me in the us...

Your images are good, no question. However even the most basic of cameras on phones these days will take good images outdoors in daylight. If your X3 focuses quickly then maybe you have a special - 3 other members of staff also have X3's and their's are all the same. Very slow to focus and a noisy artefact ridden image when used in doors.

Facebook stops and restarts, messenger function isn't even available on W10 (we use both heavily for work promoting the business). I was a very early adopter of Windows phones, the last being a Lumia 1520. That, as far as I can see in the time of X3 use, is still a far superior device to the HP. The speaker audio (B&O or not) is nothing to get excited about, again the 1520 is as good, the cheap horrible chrome plastic speaker bezel is a total nonsense on a phone in this price category. Wait until you bump it and crease the cheap chrome film. What were they thinking?

Roll on the Windows Surface phones hopefully modelled on the Surface range of notebooks because in my opinion, the HP X3 just doesn't cut it. But there again what did Microsoft actually do with Nokia anyway?

Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
640xl takes better and faster back to back photos than x3. Forget rapid fire, indoor photos on x3 ( enter the, its business phone excuse bc oh, businesses never need high quality photos...)

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro