WM in general and lockscreen security in particular

Charliest

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I am new to the Elite X3 as well as to WM in general. As a long-time Android user, I welcome several aspects, a couple of which I'll mention. Importantly, WM is much more unified than Android. Every Android implementation differs widely from every other one. WM seems to be considerably more unified than Android. Along with this, bug fixes, updates and new features are much more transparent. It is a pleasure to see precisely what is addressed when a new build emerges. With Android, it is a crap shoot. This is a result of the fragmentation allowed by Google.

On to my specific query. One thing is driving me nuts. Every time I pick up the phone, I need to unlock it. I would love to see an option that allows the phone to stay unlocked for a specified number of minutes. Better yet would be an implementation of Smart Lock. This allows one to select from a variety of conditions (such as location, which I use extensively) that will keep the phone unlocked. I am using fingerprint unlock and see no way to accomplish this. Any suggestions?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So, it's an ability available to OEMs to implement i.e. the Lumia 950/XL can both do this with 5, 15 min, etc. increments.

The Elite x3 doesn't do this for two reasons (1) Enterprise security so the device is always locked, no risk for the employee changing that (2) They argue that between fingerprint and iris unlock the device is pretty seamless to make it a non-issue. Obviously, opinion differ on that, but that is what they said.

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the OP that I wanted an option to require unlocking only after a predetermined number of minutes and I also wanted more than a 5 minute autolock. But as it turns out the finger print sensor is so well placed that my index finger is always on it when I pick up the phone, so it starts unlocking before I overtly tell it to unlock. So I agree with Daniel too.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Yep, the placement of the fingerprint sensor makes its a non-issue when you think about the security advantage. The only time its annoying is when its flat on a table so you cant use the fingprint sensor and the iris scanner cant see you, but at least then you can hit the power button and view the lockscreen notifications. Though glance is much better...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss