X3 or wait for Surface Phone?

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Since the "Surface Phone" is at best a rumor, it depends what you are currently using. If you are using a 950, I would wait. If an older phone, it would depend on how it's working.

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Even if there is mention of a Surface phone at the event next week (which most MS watchers seem to agree there will not be), the phone would be coming mid next year at the absolute earliest (and much more likely late next year. Assuming they don't cancel it like they cancelled the Surface Mini). If you can wait that long for a new phone, I guess you could wait.

Personally, I really want a Surface Phone, but that didn't stop me from buying the x3, and I don't regret it at all.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Can u tell me the pros and cons in your view? Do u have a smaller secondary device?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
there is a plethora of threads that peeps have posted in this section, I suggest you go through them, also Daniel has posted a video on the pros of the X3... :wink:

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Pros, and cons of what? Since the only info we have about "Surface Phone" is super high end components with a business focus, all conjectures at best, it would be hard to recommend the X3. However, since we have the x3 in hand the pros would be it's a real thing verses a pipe dream.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Thought just popped into my head. HP introduces the X3; info on the Surface phone sort of cools off. Latest info from the in the know peeps say the Surface phone won't see the light of day until late '17.

The recent blog with HP hints at a consumer version of the X3 is coming? What if MS gave HP a year lead to get the business X3 up and running. Then both introduce the Surface/X3 consumer in '17. MS doesn't have to build anything; just hop on the tails of an OEM.

Is this a totaly off base thought? I wonder.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Tell me if you think this is a reasonable plan. I am going to try (again) to make the switch to Windows as my daily driver. The X3 looks great but it is expensive and the camera is not so great (according to reviews). I already own the Alcatel Fierce for Windows and it is a very cheap phone (I think I paid $139 for it). Should I just used that for awhile and see if the OS works for me or should I invest in a 950XL or go for it with the X3?

I am afraid that after a few weeks with the Alcatel, It might ruin my opinion on the OS...

Love to hear your thoughts!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Tell me if you think this is a reasonable plan. I am going to try (again) to make the switch to Windows as my daily driver. The X3 looks great but it is expensive and the camera is not so great (according to reviews). I already own the Alcatel Fierce for Windows and it is a very cheap phone (I think I paid $139 for it). Should I just used that for awhile and see if the OS works for me or should I invest in a 950XL or go for it with the X3?

I am afraid that after a few weeks with the Alcatel, It might ruin my opinion on the OS...

Love to hear your thoughts!
Hmm, that's hard. Since you can find 950XLs for a good price, I would suggest trying it (if you can buy from a place that allows returns like B&H Photo) since you said that the camera is important. Before you do that, I'll suggest you do the free route (since you already own it) and try the Alcatel for at least a day and see how that goes, app wise first.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I would do what is right for me at present, if I'm needing to make a purchase immediately. If I don't need need to purchase a phone just now, then I would wait until either I am forced to or am really wanting to mak the decision.

We do not have the standard data that evaluating purchases required, such as the possible product's price, its guarantee and support level. If I needed something that I didn't currently have, then I would go ahead and make such essential solutions as I need, unless I can make appropriate compromises.

To defer life, on the basis of others' conjecture, is to devalue it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
At this point in time there is no 'Surface Phone' and at the moment, from one comment from Marry Jo, she stated late 2017 or early 2018 for a MS device that might be 'Surface Phone', whatever that means.

So if you're into 'waiting' you'll be at least a year or more from now. Up to you if you want to wait that long.

Can we move away from the idea that MS wants to build hardware? OEMs is what MS wants.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Go X3. For now the Surface phone remains a rumor surrounded with an aura of vaporware. I've been hearing about it since I joined the community, and it never panned out.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if you really want to be safe, wait until after the holiday season. So if any other company's have a windows phone in the work there's a good chance that when they would want them to be out buy. Then if you still are on the line wait until middle of Q1 2017.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Tomorrow Whartonbrooks may announce a phone at the MS event. Maybe they will give details on timing. There's also the new Alcatel phone coming out with VR which is looking sweet but I think the free VR will be t-mobile only. Either way that looks like a really nice phone and likely smaller than the HP X3 if you don't like the 6" screen. I love my 5.7" screen, chances are I'd love the 6" if it's as compact as my 950XL.

Like another poster said surface phone may not come till early 2018. And we don't know what it will be. We just know it will be a device with cell service.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Wait wait wait. One thing with any Windows phone is that the price always seems to drastically drop in less than 12mo. If you are in dire need for one, go ahead. But keep in mind; No Zeiss lens, No tap to pay, if dual sim is needed you will have NO signal come Jan 1st on AT&T if that sim is your non primary. Great phone, but they are still refining it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05