Lumia 950XL display became very dim (not related to brightness setting)

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My phone display will randomly start dimming (very dim such that everything is barely readable). I tried to lock/unlock, or change the brightness setting (I disabled auto brightness) and changing the brightness to high, but that didn't do anything. The only thing is to reboot the phone. Lately this has been happening daily. Any idea what is causing this? Hardware failure or software?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
most likely a hardware issue with ambient sensor or entirely with your display . Perform a soft reset to check if that fixes it also tell us whether you are an insider or not, and have you dropped your device recently? If nothing helps take your device to the nearest authorized service center for a inspection.

If you need additional help or want to reply to this thread , learn how to join windows central.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
most likely a hardware issue with ambient sensor or entirely with your display . Perform a soft reset to check if that fixes it also tell us whether you are an insider or not, and have you dropped your device recently? If nothing helps take your device to the nearest authorized service center for a inspection.

Yes, I have tried soft reset, and I'm not using any insider version (just normal AU), and I've not dropped the device. Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue, am considering whether a hard reset or signing up for insider release might help resolve this.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
No , insider previews will break more things than solve anything. You should take the device to an authorized service center for an inspection.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I sometimes get that. It gets dimmed and the display settings don't do anything. However, if I lock and unlock it fixes it. It's something to do with a specific task you may be doing that triggers it. I just haven't been able to correlate it as it is pretty rare for me.

You could try release preview if .321 wasn't released to production yet. See if it's fixed. Otherwise hard reset and absolustely no backup restore to see if there is something about your setup doing it.

I wouldn't say it's hardware related, especially since reboot fixes it. Also if I cover my sensor with my finger it doesn't do the same thing, so can't say it's the sensor really.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a similar problem today. My lock screen was black no glance screen. Double tap didn't work either IR light was on. I hit the power button and my password and did get to my start screen. But it was so dim I could hardly read it. I double checked my settings but my brightness was all the way up. I did a soft restart and everything was back to normal. It is the first problem I have every had with my 950 XL. No big deal.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem today. My lock screen was black no glance screen. Double tap didn't work either IR light was on. I hit the power button and my password and did get to my start screen. But it was so dim I could hardly read it. I double checked my settings but my brightness was all the way up. I did a soft restart and everything was back to normal. It is the first problem I have every had with my 950 XL. No big deal.

I am also experiencing this from time to time. Has to be some kind of SW bug.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. Screen dims irrespective of brightness settings, unlocking the phone when double tapping or pressing the power button activates the IR light, but not the screen, and when logged in the screen is so dim that I can hardly see. Locking/unlocking seems to fix the issue sometimes. Also, when I press the camera button when the phone is locked, I get the buzz to show that the camera is activated, but the screen is black and blank. Pressing the power button then shows the camera output on the screen and the camera then functions. Weird. Tending towards software as the potential culprit.

rb2468

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 950XL. UNTIL.....
I removed the battery, sim, SDRAM then cleaned contacts and reassembled. Has worked perfectly for 2 months now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes