Navigation buttons burn in on screen

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Lately I've noticed that even when the back, home and search bottom along the bottom isn't on that there is a burn in. It's quite infuriating. Anybody else suffering from this?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Windows 10 Mobile, but can you hide the nav buttons when not in use?
Yes but its manual.

OP, thats just a downside of the type of display used in the 950. (OLED or AMOLED) Longevity/burn-in resistance and consistent power usage is traded for deep blacks and colors that pop as well as using less power when mostly black or otherwise dark colors. (See: Samsung Galaxy phones, the Nexus 6P, Lumia 735, Blackberry Q10 etc. for other phones that use this tech.)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Aside from being mindful of screen on time and swiping away the navigation bar when not being used, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent screen burn in? I mean like wallpaper colors, brightness settings, etc? Thanks.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
This phenomena is not called "burnin" but "image retention" which is common to Oled and Plasma screens. It is not permanent, and relatively easily cured, depending on the strength of retention.
Firs help is to turn the mobile off for about half hour.
If this does not fix it, then get an (full screen) completely white image and keep on display for half hour.
If the retention is still seen, then get a full screen video of specially composed white and color noise and play it for half hour.
Such videos are usually coled "image retention fixers" or such like examples:

Example1
example2
example3

Unfortunately, if it gets to "burnin" then that is permanent and cannot be fixed. To avoid it use automatic brightness settings and choose appropriate color background for navigation Bar to reduce contrast between white letters on black background.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Aside from being mindful of screen on time and swiping away the navigation bar when not being used, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent screen burn in? I mean like wallpaper colors, brightness settings, etc? Thanks.

It's not a matter of prevention, its a matter of keeping its effects to a minimum until you can replace the phone or display.

This phenomena is not called "burnin" but "image retention" which is common to Oled and Plasma screens. It is not permanent, and relatively easily cured, depending on the strength of retention.
Firs help is to turn the mobile off for about half hour.
If this does not fix it, then get an (full screen) completely white image and keep on display for half hour.
If the retention is still seen, then get a full screen video of specially composed white and color noise and play it for half hour.
Such videos are usually coled "image retention fixers" or such like examples:
-snip-
Unfortunately, if it gets to "burnin" then that is permanent and cannot be fixed. To avoid it use automatic brightness settings and choose appropriate color background for navigation Bar to reduce contrast between white letters on black background.

I've seen image retention on some LCD's like a 640 stuck on glance but its straight up burn-in here as the subpixels actually wear over time and use.
I've had a Q10 and 950 with serious, permanent, burn-in that those solutions did not do anything to. (I did run the Q10 on one of those things for several hours.)

We need a transparent navigation bar which changes its color automatically

Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that the icons on the navigation bar are still white and in the same location.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Would autohide nav bar be difficult to implement ? (Autohide taskbar on desktop)
Some apps (eg: iFruit app for GTA V) hide navigation bar and status bar forcefully so I guess it is possible to set a timeout, if Microsoft decides to do something about it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would autohide nav bar be difficult to implement ? (Autohide taskbar on desktop)
Some apps (eg: iFruit app for GTA V) hide navigation bar and status bar forcefully so I guess it is possible to set a timeout, if Microsoft decides to do something about it.
Not at all, but it'll be awkward having to swipe to bring it back up all the time for relatively little benefit.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Blame the game, not the playah. But in all seriousness, this is a problem with OLED screens really. What we need is some technology advancements that stop this from happening.

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I am sure this problem can be avoided by a software fix.

1 Transparent navigation bar
2 Make the white color of three icons changes according to the ambience/automatically changes its color periodically.

The windows team at Microsoft should have a better idea than mine.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I am sure this problem can be avoided by a software fix.

1 Transparent navigation bar
2 Make the white color of three icons changes according to the ambience/automatically changes its color periodically.

The windows team at Microsoft should have a better idea than mine.

The problem with the hardware is that OLED screens degrade with use, and not so slow. So an "ideal" solution that scrambled all kinds of colors all around all the time so that the burn-in is distributed more or less equally across the whole screen still doesn't prevent the degradation. It just allows for it to fade more uniformly.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
A much bigger problem for OLED screens than Nav Bar is the stationary Glance Screen set to ON all the time while charging. If one uses GS and keeps the phone on charger during the night, sooner or later will get Image Retention.
For that reason on WP 8.1 the clock moved to a different position every minute. W10M just does not care about GS image retention...

Sad that such features, after one year, are still unavailable. To avoid GS image retention one should place the phone down with the screen on a non reflective flat surface, or put a piece of cloth over proximity sensor, to turn GS off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs