It is dumb to name this phone the same as an Android phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There will be some angry people who buy the wrong one, now or down the road. I'll give odds some have already ordered the Android version directly from Alcatel thinking its a Windows phone.

That kind of stuff has already happened with phones with much more unique names.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Get one!
:grin:
I'm thinking about getting a 24 hour test drive from T-Mobile next week without paying a restocking fee if I don't like it by claiming I thought I was getting the Android version and refusing to accept an exchange from a company so stupid to sell two phones with the same name. ;)

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Pretty sure the m8 Windows and m8 android were able to coexist just fine. This will too. Besides t-mobile doesn't even sell the android version

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure the m8 Windows and m8 android were able to coexist just fine. This will too. Besides t-mobile doesn't even sell the android version
There were posts in these forums about a customer getting the wrong M8, going ballistic and the sales rep getting chewed out royally despite him making it very clear to the customer it was a Windows phone. Not fine. It's stupid because it is totally unnecessary. It doesn't matter if a store sells only one because people hear about a phone then ask stores if they sell them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There were posts in these forums about a customer getting the wrong M8, going ballistic and the sales rep getting chewed out royally despite him making it very clear to the customer it was a Windows phone. Not fine. It's stupid because it is totally unnecessary. It doesn't matter if a store sells only one because people hear about a phone then ask stores if they sell them.

I basically agree with you that it is confusing for some customers. I remember the thread about the customer getting a Windows Phone when he wanted Android. I think most smartphone users have no clue about the OS or what it is called. Maybe his friend had an M8 and he liked it and decided to get one, having no idea if his friend's M8 ran Windows Phone or Android.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's far more likely that the opposite will happen, i think.

Could work out in Windows favor :wink:
Yeah, could grab some market share for uninformed buyers. But if that was the idea, and they were going to name it the same as another phone (which by the way shares basically nothing but the case), they should have named it iPhone 8 or better yet iPhone 9. ;)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, could grab some market share for uninformed buyers. But if that was the idea, and they were going to name it the same as another phone (which by the way shares basically nothing but the case), they should have named it iPhone 8 or better yet iPhone 9. ;)

I agree with you. It should have another name. But not much can be done about it.

It is helpful that the packaging is pretty clear that it's the "Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows 10."

CwV8EiDXUAAYK_I.jpg

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
wow sounds like it would get some unintentional buyers... but those buyers won't even know the difference... should be happy either way.

"My buddy says idol4s is good"
"Here you go!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon