Periodic episode of constant reboots and significant battery drain

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening since Sunday, October 30, 2016. One time on Sunday, again on Monday, and now two times today, November 1. HP Elite X3, US-AT&T, 200GB Sandisk MicroSD (not used for storage currently), Windows Insider Fast, current built in 14955.

Right now it has been rebooting for about 45 minutes, probably the longest it has happened before. The device is running the latest firmware released by HP (0002.0000.0014.0100), installed via WDRT on Saturday, October 29, 2016.

I know not too many people have the device but I just wanted to see if there was any chance anyone has run into this issue before.

Dan, if you're reading this I think you have at least two :) - have you seen this occur? I'm trying a device reset right now (started by doing the button combination on boot).

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just finished resetting the device and the only thing I'm doing differently is not restoring from backup (clean install + no restore).

With all these problems I'm not sure why I'm still trying to like this device haha. Even though the 950XL isn't perfect, I don't recall having an issue like this.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm on build 14393 with latest firmware. That's slow ring again.. I originally put fast ring on the device and had to wdrt. Been rock solid with this build.

I put 951 in my 950xl but haven't done much.

Sent from mTalk

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on build 14393 with latest firmware. That's slow ring again.. I originally put fast ring on the device and had to wdrt. Been rock solid with this build.

I put 951 in my 950xl but haven't done much.

Sent from mTalk
Yeah, it may be having problems because of the new fast ring builds, I know it's still early in the cycle. I'll give this clean install a shot and if I run into the same problem I'll probably reset and go down to slow ring also

Christian_1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same issue last weekend. I noticed that it happened only when I was using my HP folio case. Back to release version now with wdrt. I'll wait for a more stable release before going back to fast ring.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the exact same issue last weekend. I noticed that it happened only when I was using my HP folio case. Back to release version now with wdrt. I'll wait for a more stable release before going back to fast ring.
Do you remember if you had performed a fresh install on your device or whether you restored from a backup?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
it looks to me like its trying to complete an update (sometimes they can take a LONG time to complete) but you keep intrerupting it and now that you have, it keeps going into a boot loop...

Christian_1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
When the phone was not in the folio case, it never rebooted. As soon as I used the folio case, the phone constantly rebooted. I tried to remove it from the case again (had to use the maps in my car) and it never rebooted. But, after a day, I decided to put it in the folio case. As soon as I closed the cover and reopened it, the phone rebooted.

This is pretty annoying. I didn't want to purchase another case for something that should be fixed in future releases. I simply went back to production release using wdrt.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, this is indeed juicy. AFAIK, there is a mechanism (magnet?) in the Folio case, switching it off and on. I would say, triggering that might be the source of the problem. HP needs to be aware and fix it.
What I would really like, was a possibility to contact them directly. And now, Feedback in the Device Hub is not working for me, as Device Hub is crashing for me on the latest Fast Ring Build (14959).

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
it looks to me like its trying to complete an update (sometimes they can take a LONG time to complete) but you keep intrerupting it and now that you have, it keeps going into a boot loop...
Definitely not an update issue for me, but I can see why it might appear that way. The device had been reflashed using WDRT just 30 hours before the issue first occurred. In that time, it was enrolled in fast ring, successfully updated to build 14955 (newest build at the time) and all apps, etc. were updated.

I've since fixed the issue by again re-flashing with WDRT, the only difference this time is I did not restore from a backup (previous backup from this same Elite X3). I simply started fresh, and the phone has been fine for 3 days, now on build 14959.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The folio case/magnet theory is interesting... I sometimes carry the Elite X3 around the house along with another tablet that also has a magnet built-in for the same reason - I wonder if it was triggering something... I carried both devices around the office yesterday though and didn't see the same occur.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Chsoriano, thanks for coming back. I am also considering starting fresh - since the 950XL is still not reset, it is not going to become any easier. Where did you come from (what device, build)?
Then, what is better, WDRT, sign in, rebuilt, update? Or WDRT, update, hard reset, rebuild? I would suppose, the latter. Do you agree?

Cyclogriff1972

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I was having the same issue with the new firmware update and running fast ring using the folio case. Every time I close the cover the phone would reboot. Does not do it on preview release so staying there for the time being.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Everybody having the issue with the folio case, please DO submit feedback via the feedback hub. we are so few here with the X3, that literally every single feedback counts.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The x3 I own came new out of the box two weeks ago running Build: 14393.321, FW: 0002.0000.0014.0100. I activated on AT&T, no backup restore done, and recently updated to the build 14393.448 when released this week. Was fine until today. In the past 4 hours my x3 has crashed 4 times. The last time it crashed it shutoff completely. Two of them occurred while being at the lock screen 1st and 3rd crashes one of them I'm sure it hung while unlocking with the fingerprint reader. The other two were while using it, once while in Microsoft messaging (2nd crash), and the other while pulling down the notifications (4th crash). I am about to do a soft reset from the phone before going to WDRT since the tool would dump me back to 14393.321.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Try the button reset combination, towards the bottom on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10768/windows-10-mobile-reset-my-phone

That's what I did when my X3 was in a boot loop. Luckily I haven't had the problem since I first started this thread.
Thanks, have not looked up if HP's button combo. Is it the same as the Lumia? I ended up hitting reset from settings about. Then once set up none of my installs/purchases would show up in the store. I tried several methods to get that fixed, then finally wiped it with WDRT. Interestingly it did the same thing with the store apps not showing and was build 14393.321. But after using WDRT, Reset Protection showed up, which was odd that I had not had that before. Anyway after upgrading back to .448 my store purchases in My Library showed up.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I followed the same button combination in that article... This worked for me, but I had to because I couldn't do it through Settings (constant reboots)

1. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10 to 15 seconds).
2. When you feel the vibration, release the buttons, and then immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
3. Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)

atomic 47

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever resolve the reboot issue? I just purchased and X3 from Microsoft store and it started doing it right away if I didn't have very good signal strength?
Have updated the OS as suggested by HP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)