Not SIM Unlocked

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately, I was told by Alcatel that the T-Mobile version for retail won't be SIM unlocked. Mine is evidently a pre-production device and not locked down.

So, while it can run on AT&T (and run just fine AFAICT) you can't just pop in a foreign SIM on day 1 with the T-Mobile version.

I still have hope Microsoft will sell it unlocked at some point. Clearly it has the bands.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Who knows T-Mobile may lighten up on their unlocking policy.
I'm remaining positive this device will show up as an unlocked version eventually.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Even when you pay off the phone, they can sometimes be stubborn with unlocking.
Last time I checked, you had to have the phone active on T-Mobile for 40 days. And I think there is a maximum they will do for one person in a year period. I never had any real problems getting my 925 or some relatives' T-Mobile 520s, 635 or 640 unlocked after 40 days. But I think Guytronics or RumoredNow has had problems getting them to unlock phones that met the 40 day criteria. As for the number of unlocks in a year, I almost had a problem when they claimed they sent me an unlock code and then when I asked them to resend it they tried to make that count as an additional request within the year.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Last time I checked, you had to have the phone active on T-Mobile for 40 days. And I think there is a maximum they will do for one person in a year period. I never had any real problems getting my 925 or some relatives' T-Mobile 520s, 635 or 640 unlocked after 40 days. But I think Guytronics or RumoredNow has had problems getting them to unlock phones that met the 40 day criteria. As for the number of unlocks in a year, I almost had a problem when they claimed they sent me an unlock code and then when I asked them to resend it they tried to make that count as an additional request within the year.

Hmm interesting. I'm going to try to get my 640 unlocked, but wait, the SIM has to be in it, right? If so, I don't want to do it. lol.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm interesting. I'm going to try to get my 640 unlocked, but wait, the SIM has to be in it, right? If so, I don't want to do it. lol.
T-Mobile gives you a procedure that requires a non-T-Mobile SIM in the phone. But if you search you can find a procedure that doesn't care what, if any, SIM is actually in the phone. I think T-Mobile gives the procedure that requires a different SIM just as a disincentive for people who want to do a preemptive unlock. I remember the first unlock I did many years ago and they did not want to give me an unlock code unless I convinced them I was planning to travel where T-Mobile wasn't available. I'm guessing they would still do it without the travel excuse but keep dragging it out sort of like how OnStar will NOT let you cancel their service unless you listen to a 15 minute lecture about how you will surly die without the service (slight exaggeration). But later T-Mobile unlocks I was involved with didn't involve any convincing them it was "needed".

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried unlocking a 3 month old Alcatel One Touch XL I had purchased from T-Mobile a while back.
T-Mobile directed me to contact Alcatel which went nowhere.
Alcatel said they had no way to allow unlocks for that phone model.

Two parties pointing fingers at each other with zero results.
Same old thing from T-Mo for me...

As far as I can tell T-Mobile might allow an unlock after 6 months if your on a data plan and happen to talk to a support person in a good mood.
I've had five phones branded to T-Mobile and have one successful unlock with them.
Wish I knew the secret.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I tried unlocking a 3 month old Alcatel One Touch XL I had purchased from T-Mobile a while back.

As far as I can tell T-Mobile might allow an unlock after 6 months if your on a data plan and happen to talk to a support person in a good mood.
I've had five phones branded to T-Mobile and have one successful unlock with them.
Wish I knew the secret.

Reason never to buy a US carrier locked phone #2397 - having to fight to get an unlock even though you meet the carriers stated criteria for said unlock.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Reason never to buy a US carrier locked phone #2397

Goes without saying.
I haven't bought a carrier locked phone for a while now.
That one touch XL was it for me...I will no longer play in that game.

Thank goodness there are so many other options now.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Wish I knew the secret.

I'd put my money on a significant number of untrained CS people. I got lucky. You didn't. If a rep told me NO or was resisting, maybe try another. Clearly your T-Mobile rep was totally clueless if he thought a phone manufacturer would have anything to do with a carrier lock. if for no other reason than the phone maker could care less and would cheerfully unlock the phone if they were involved. The lock is to T-Mobile and T-mobile is the only one who can unlock it.

Actually there may be another variable. I always use chat if a company provides it so I have a record but a side effect MIGHT be chat reps are a little better because you have a record of what they said. I don't know if you used phone or chat. So it might be worth using chat rather than phone. It may be harder to get a chat. I needed to talk to a TM rep over a 911 call problem my father claimed to have and found chat was not available a lot of the time. It disappears as an option when they are too backed up. Phone gets backed up too but they don't turn that off.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Goes without saying.
I haven't bought a carrier locked phone for a while now.
That one touch XL was it for me...I will no longer play in that game.

Thank goodness there are so many other options now.
Yeah. I think this carrier lock reversal just tipped the balance back to the 950XL for me. You can get a new unlocked international 950XL for less money than the Alcatel. I would like to have the newer processor, extra memory slightly larger screen, wi-fi calling and usable Hello of the Alcatel, but I'm thinking the slightly larger screen, Glance, better camera, replaceable battery, no tray and NO carrier lock is probably better.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to resist recommendations.
Believe me I have read about all methods or tried many times and usually turn away completely frustrated.
I knew the recommend to try Alcatel was BS, yet tried anyway.

I maintain a data plan with T-Mobile because of fast LTE, low cost, tethering and generally ok service.
Unlocking has always been a sore spot with me.
My solution:
Buy brand new unlocked devices with as many US bands as possible.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not to resist recommendations.
Believe me I have read about all methods or tried many times and usually turn away completely frustrated.
I knew the recommend to try Alcatel was BS, yet tried anyway.

I maintain a data plan with T-Mobile because of fast LTE, low cost, tethering and generally ok service.
Unlocking has always been a sore spot with me.
My solution:
Buy brand new unlocked devices with as many US bands as possible.

Best solution ever!

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
In my area T-Mobile have better service than other want specially w/Band 12 (700mhz) I can talk inside on my apartment and you can see many other neighbors talk out side (low signal) of this home, plus WiFi Calling that is really amazing you can take any phone call with a high clarity like no other, If you change for Alcatel Idol 4 with T MOBILE you cannot go back with ATT or Verizon specially for the Price I have 4 t-Mobile cell lines with al youtube videos, spotify music and other full streaming with no data charge plus 2 Gig for month and I'll never spend my 2 gb, unlimited call txt and Internantional call to Mexico. Now I have ALCATEL ONE TOUCH XL work just well great battery (day and half) decent screen 5.5" camera is not good but with a program JUMP from T mobile I'm going to change this phone for the new one with any charge, only I have to pay the new phone like $18 for a month... So talk with the someone on the T mobile store, not from internet website. But if you want to pay more just do it w/att or verizon

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Reason never to buy a US carrier locked phone #2397 - having to fight to get an unlock even though you meet the carriers stated criteria for said unlock.
Not true of all carriers. Tons of people got the L640 unlocked from AT&T. I bought three of them when they were selling for $30 and AT&T unlocked all of them, no problems or hassles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb