[Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I am having an issue with talk texting. When I use the microphone and try to dictate text all I get is 'Try again '. Does anyone else experience this ?

When I get a text through my Bluetooth, Cortana will read it and I can respond through the Bluetooth. Do I have to adjust my settings ? I shouldn't have to though because talk text works fine on my 650 and 950.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
These issues listed sound like software rather than the Idol. Bluetooth used to be a fort? on Windows. Lately it seems like a sore spot. As for Kacchan's rotation issues, I would suggest putting it through WDRT if the firmware is out yet. It seems like the gyro may be out of whack and reverting to factory settings might provide an answer as to whether it's the sensor or software.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
These issues listed sound like software rather than the Idol. Bluetooth used to be a fort? on Windows. Lately it seems like a sore spot. As for Kacchan's rotation issues, I would suggest putting it through WDRT if the firmware is out yet. It seems like the gyro may be out of whack and reverting to factory settings might provide an answer as to whether it's the sensor or software.

I have a replacement coming in the mail. So I'm hoping maybe the new phone will be better and maybe these things with the touch sensitivity may be better

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

The issue with the microphone for talk text seems to be working now. Weird.

I have to say I really have no need of a phone this powerful, but having the Alcatel for 11 days now it is notably the fastest Windows phone I have ever used. Even my 950 doesn't load Windows central as fast. Thanks to the Alcatel's SD820.

I also noticed I haven't had any issues lately with 'phantom' Cortana. Maybe the system is settling in I don't know, but this device has been a pleasure to use overall since day 1.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
After using this device exclusively for the past 10 or so days I'll say that this has been the most pleasurable experience with a Windows device since I had the Lumia 925 on T-Mobile.

Windows 10 runs very smooth on this device with the Qualcom 820.
Cell signal/reception is excellent. This device seems to have good cell antennae.
Call quality with T-Mobile's HD Voice is outstanding ... clear ... on my end and those on the other end that I talk to.
Wi-Fi calling works without a hitch.

Battery life is outstanding.
Camera is a bit slow ... but more than adequate in quality. Yes it's not PureView ... but it's not horrible.
Bluetooth connectivity with my Ford Focus ST Microsoft SYNC works great.
The front (and rear) speakers are outstanding. Loud and clear.

The display is very good for sure ... no complaints whatsoever even in daylight.
I'm very satisfied with this device.

I do wish this device were available carrier-free/unlocked globally. Alcatel hit a home run with this one (my opinion).

Last edited:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I do wish this device were available carrier-free/unlocked globally. Alcatel hit a home run with this one (my opinion).

Agree 100%.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After using this device exclusively for the past 10 or so days I'll say that this has been the most pleasurable experience with a Windows device since I had the Lumia 925 on T-Mobile.

Windows 10 runs very smooth on this device with the Qualcom 820.
Cell signal/reception is excellent. This device seems to have good cell antennae.
Call quality with T-Mobile's HD Voice is outstanding ... clear ... on my end and those on the other end that I talk to.
Wi-Fi calling works without a hitch.

Battery life is outstanding.
Camera is a bit slow ... but more than adequate in quality. No it's not PureView ... but it's not bad AT ALL.
Bluetooth connectivity with my Ford Focus ST Microsoft SYNC works great.
The front (and rear) speakers are outstanding. Loud and clear.

The display is very good for sure ... no complaints whatsoever even in daylight.
I'm very satisfied with this device.

Yay, I was looking forward to your thoughts! Sounds like it was worth it the wait for sure.

Agree 100%.
From what I'm reading from you all, it really sounds like it. I also agree.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I received mine today. I'm really impressed by the phone, including looks, build, and performance. I will give a detailed review after I've used it for a few days, but I'm already convinced that this is a quality device

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like an excellent device. I hope it soon will come unlocked so I can give it a try. You know, since I'm a Windows 10 fan.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Here's my review:

The Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows (that's a mouthful) is a beautiful, even elegant device. Seeing it in pictures doesn't do it justice. It is the sleek device that many were hoping the Lumia 950/XL would be. I believe the fit and finish is not only equal to Nokia's Lumias, but exceeds them in quality. There are no sounds of creaking from this phone. It feels good in hand, although it is a bit slippery.
Powering it up you find a bright, crisp screen that is readable in sunlight. I know some were disappointed that it doesn't have a QHD screen but, with the exception of the VR goggles, it's completely unnecessary here and results in better battery life.

In use the phone is responsive and apps open fluidly. In the time I've had it there have been no freezes, crashes or overheating. Having the power button on the upper left-hand side has taken a little getting used to, but I've decided that I actually prefer it there. DTTW works with a very slight delay and DTTS works flawlessly. I'm finding myself using those to wake the phone or put it to sleep more than the power switch.

Call quality is excellent, better than my Lumia. The parties on the other end report that voice is clear on their end, too. Reception is also very good. I'm getting more bars at my home location than I did with my lumias. I had read that some people thought the phone didn't have visual voice mail, but I can report that it does.

Oh those speakers! I would challenge anyone to find a phone with better speakers. It's a real pleasure to listen to music without headphones. It's a real treat hearing them on speakerphone. There's minor distortion at full volume, but that's to be expected.

Sixty-four GB storage. Check.
Expandable memory. Check.
Four GB ram. Check.
The specs are excellent!

Regarding the camera: I have posted some picture samples in the Videos and Pictures thread. I'm satisfied with the pictures that the camera takes, especially since I think the camera app will improve under the Creators Update next year. I do wish the camera had OIS for video. It does have digital stabilization, but as a video professional I'm all too aware that digital stabilization is no match for optical stabilization and can actually degrade the video. For me personally, though, it's not a deal breaker because I never go to an event or take a trip without a point and shoot or DSLR If I want video I take one of my pro camcorders. The camera does a good job otherwise and is completely acceptable for casual pictures and video, although I will also use it on trips. Some have questioned the location of the camera button, but I find that I like it where it is. Regardless of one's feeling about the location, I think we can all agree that it's refreshing to see an OEM include a camera button at all. I know many reviewers have said that the camera is mediocre. Obviously those conclusions are subjective, but I would put the camera in the "Good" category. It's not at the level of the Lumia cameras (although one wonders if it could be at that level if MS would share some of that tech with OEM's), but it holds it's own.

Clearly, for some people, there are some cons. I don't think I need to talk about apps since we all know about that situation and, for me personally, I have every app I need (and if apps matter to you, maybe it's time to move to one of the other OSes). My pay checks are direct deposit and, on the occasions that I receive a check from someone, I don't find it difficult to stop by the bank. It is curious that Alcatel chose to not include NFC but, once again, that doesn't affect me because I have never used it and, unless I'm forced to, I never will. It's not that hard to pull my credit card out of my wallet. But, again, it's a shame they didn't include it for people that do want to use it. It's an odd omission. Wireless charging would also have been nice, but would it have increased the price? Finally, the non replaceable battery. I'm okay with that because the design wouldn't have been as attractive if the battery was replaceable. And, frankly, I've never needed to replace a battery. By the time it gets to that point, I'm ready for a new phone. I know some people carry spare batteries so I understand the desire to have it be replaceable, it's just not an issue for me.

Alcatel has done a fantastic job with this phone. I think they are poised to pick up where Nokia left off - IF. IF there are sufficient sales. And, sadly, that's a huge IF. If not, we may find ourselves with very little to choose from in Windows phones. With that in mind, if you've been looking for a new phone and considering the Idol 4S, and you are okay with the few missing features, don't hesitate to make the purchase. It's a gorgeous, well crafted device that is a pleasure to use (and look at)!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Your observations pretty much mirror mine. It would be nice if T-Mobile could push enough of these to generate some interest. Maybe an Idol 4S 2 with OIS and wireless charging.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Your observations pretty much mirror mine. It would be nice if T-Mobile could push enough of these to generate some interest. Maybe an Idol 4S 2 with OIS and wireless charging.
I agree. And they've definitely left those items you mentioned on the table so it would be the perfect upgrade for 4S 2 (add NFC, too). I also hope that at some point Alcatel decides to make it available worldwide unlocked. That could also give it a boost.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The things that keep me from buying one for myself are: the camera, trays for SIM and SD, and non-removable back which translates to no user replaceable battery or alternate after-market backs. But since my 1520 also has trays and a non-removable back, those aren't absolute deal breakers. But since the 1520 is still a great phone, I'll stick with it until it dies or there is an alternative that does have a removable back. If there is none, I will buy one of these for myself and be happy with the extra speed and OLED screen. Lots of good things about it. If I didn't own a 1520 now, this is what I'd buy.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What is the screen resolution of idol 4s FHD or 2K......If 2k and amoled meets it worth of price and for VR too

The Idol 4S for Android has WQHD (1440 x 2560) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 534ppi.

But the Windows version got FHD (1080 x 1920) on a 5.5" AMOLED for 400ppi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte