Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Guys and Gals...

Alt camera apps, please. Can we see samples from Camera360 Sight, ProShot and others? Especially on 3rd party devices, I've found that some of these 3rd party apps can make a dramatic difference. Microsoft Camera algorithms (and formally Lumia Cam) seem to be aggressively tuned for camera module hardware that 3rd party phones aren't using...

Done. Check my photos again...added Camera360 Sight & ProShot.

For my money...either one of those 2 apps is 1000x better than the MS Camera app. I'm not going to pick a winner of those 2...they both look great and pretty true to life.

I did have to reboot my phone after installed ProShot and it didn't want to work right away...(I would click to take the picture and app would hang with Vibration stuck.) That seems to have resolved itself.

Both vastly improve the camera and remove any doubts I had about this phone!!! The shutter speed is also fixed!

Need to get that Boom key changed over now.

argenys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

For my money...either one of those 2 apps is 1000x better than the MS Camera app. I'm not going to pick a winner of those 2...they both look great and pretty true to life.

I did have to reboot my phone after installed ProShot and it didn't want to work right away...(I would click to take the picture and app would hang with Vibration stuck.) That seems to have resolved itself.

Both vastly improve the camera and remove any doubts I had about this phone!!! The shutter speed is also fixed!

Hopefully this means we can see a fix from Microsoft in the non distant future.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Wow, the Pro Shot photo looked nearly identical to the 950. I'm sold. Thanks for posting, I would love to see more!

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Full size image of my small kitchen (lit with 2 ceiling mounted LED 60W light bulbs ... 40W lightbulb over the stove). ProShot in Auto/C-AF mode.4:3 ratio. No flash.

ProShot_20161113_200239.jpg

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
boy seeing some of the pics on here really do good especially if you use some other app :) Nice job guys on them photos some look very on pair with the Lumia 950/XL suprising really. :)

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

What resolution does pro shot and camera 360 shoot in.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Guys and Gals...

Alt camera apps, please. Can we see samples from Camera360 Sight, ProShot and others? Especially on 3rd party devices, I've found that some of these 3rd party apps can make a dramatic difference. Microsoft Camera algorithms (and formally Lumia Cam) seem to be aggressively tuned for camera module hardware that 3rd party phones aren't using...
I'm really glad you suggested this. It puts the camera in a whole new light. It looks much more competitive now. From the pics we've seen since your suggestion, I think Alcatel should have made a deal with Proshot and made it the default camera app!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What resolution does pro shot and camera 360 shoot in.

On a 20MP sensor Lumia 1520:
Camera360 Sight allows selection of 5MP or 16MP JPG in 16:9 (same as Camera, except it is one or the other, not both)
ProShot allows 4MP, 5MP, 8MP or 16MP JPG in 16:9 (more choices than Camera, again, choose just 1 output)
ProShot for W10M also allows RAW or JPG use of the sensor along with JPG or TIFF file for output (mix and match)

I see no reason why it would differ greatly for the Idol 4S with a 21MP sensor.

I'm really glad you suggested this. It puts the camera in a whole new light. It looks much more competitive now. From the pics we've seen since your suggestion, I think Alcatel should have made a deal with Proshot and made it the default camera app!

Thanks. I first noticed this on BLU Win HD and again on HD LTE and Moly W5. On Lumia people tend to ignore the alt camera apps. I find them useful on Lumia and crucial on 3rd party devices. I keep trying to get the word out on this, but I'm not the only one. I think dorelse simply forgot about it from his time on BLU.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I first noticed this on BLU Win HD and again on HD LTE and Moly W5. On Lumia people tend to ignore the alt camera apps. I find them useful on Lumia and crucial on 3rd party devices. I keep trying to get the word out on this, but I'm not the only one. I think dorelse simply forgot about it from his time on BLU.

Yep, never even crossed my mind to try them. The Blu phone is sitting in a drawer somewhere...put it back to 8.1 and left it there...but that's a different discussion.

Now...if we can only figure out how to get the default camera changed, heck, even if we could change the Boom key to a different camera app. Is this going to be in the registry somewhere? And...are there tools to get down into that layer?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no option to set defolt camera app under settings -> devices -> default camera app?

Option is there, however, its a dead option, it only ever allows you to select the default camera app of 'Camera'...(ie...that's the only choice you'll ever get...)

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Option is there, however, its a dead option, it only ever allows you to select the default camera app of 'Camera'...(ie...that's the only choice you'll ever get...)
I'm curious. If you have, say, ProShot open, will the camera key function to take the shot or do you have to use the on screen? I'm asking because I didn't know if not being able to change the default just affected the ability to open the camera with the key, or makes it completely useless.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious. If you have, say, ProShot open, will the camera key function to take the shot or do you have to use the on screen? I'm asking because I didn't know if not being able to change the default just affected the ability to open the camera with the key, or makes it completely useless.

Boom key does take the picture...so essentially, all that's really broken is launching the camera via the Boom key (camera button)...not the worst I suppose. Though I would expect every app to call the Camera, vs. ProShot until MS fixes this bug.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Essentially, we need to know the {AppGUID} of the camera app we want to use.

If we knew that string, it could be placed into the registry as the default camera app.

Here's the location...now this all assumes that the devs haven't left out the code that would register their app as selectable in the devices/default camera drop down.

This doc is for Win10, but still gave me enough breadcrumbs to figure it out...well I think I figured it out anyway...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn701939(v=vs.85).aspx

nCt3H5M.jpg

UltWhv9.jpg

ARlZhr7.jpg

Sent from mTalk

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It would definitely be nice to be able to make it default, but I'm glad you can use the camera key in the other photo apps.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, tried editing the key above to the app guid, no luck. I change the key and save it, its not staying...so, no dice there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss