Excessive battery drain on 14965.1001

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh drat. After VERY good and stable standby drain on 14959, 14965 once again has standby issues with the same set of apps. I left the house with a full battery, spent a couple hours in a movie theater (possible poor signal) and when I left the theater I noticed the phone was warm in my pocket and the battery gauge was at about 50%. This is AFTER an upgrade to 14965 and a FDR (with restore). Between leaving the house and noticing the phone was warm, I did not use the phone at all except to unlock it to set it to vibrate only. The only thing running in the background is Google calendar sync (set for every two hours).

I really want to like Windows Mobile (and in fact I do) but if I can't count on it to sit quietly in my pocket when it should be doing nothing, the phone is mostly useless.

Paul

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I really want to like Windows Mobile (and in fact I do) but if I can't count on it to sit quietly in my pocket when it should be doing nothing, the phone is mostly useless. l

If you really do, then stay away from insider experimental and test builds.

Btw, post your complains about test builds here on Insider Program

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I am fully aware this is not a production build. What is troubling is that standby drain has gone from very good to very bad. That should not happen. Or if it does it is not a good sign.

As for posting on the feedback hub, I have mostly given up. The signal to noise level seems extremely low, and MS doesn't seem to be listening to anything I have ever posted. Especially if they rely on upvotes on the same issue to command attention and most people can't adequately describe a problem to make it clear it is the same issue as mine.

I post here to see if my issues are unique to me or not.

Paul

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Why should anybody running on production build care about battery drain on some Alfa build?
I, personally, couldn't care less...

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So your idea is to ignore any issues or bugs because this is not a production build? What is the point of insider builds if not to identify bugs in "alfa" builds BEFORE they are released to production?

OK, back to useful information.....

I had a look at the battery stats and something does not make sense. The prime offender seems to have been Cortana. She was the highest of the listed drains and accounted for most of my battery drain (most of it in the background) over the most recent 6 hours. I don't recall the actual number but it was close to 50% when I first looked. But if I looked at the most recent 24 hours, she used something like 2%. Since the battery went from nearly 100% to about 50% in maybe 3-4 hours, that doesn't really add up does it? Plus, I did not invoke her at all in the most recent 6 hours, so her drain should have been zero. So something must have triggered her in my pocket and she stayed active? Or perhaps there is something draining the battery that is not reported..... that could skew the numbers. Android reports actual % of battery capacity per process, which makes it easy to identify an unreported drain (if the percentages don't add up to the total drain, something is missing). Windows simply reports % of total per process, so there is no way to tell if something that is not on the list is contributing to that drain (the percentages will always add up to 100%).

Anyone else have Cortana run amok like this? At least I have a possible culprit.

Paul

EDIT: Is it my imagination or do these last two builds boot faster than previous builds?

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
So your idea is to ignore any issues or bugs because this is not a production build?

Yes exactly, I use my L950 every day for work and depend on it. For me it is not a toy for testing and finding bugs in alpha builds.

I live from selling my skills and my brain doesn't allow me to do alpha/beta testing on MY equipment for the richest software company in the world - for FREE!

Last edited:

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes exactly, I use my L950 every day for work and depend on it. For me it is not a toy for testing and finding bugs in alpha builds.

I live from selling my skills and my brain doesn't allow me to do alpha/beta testing on MY equipment for the richest software company in the world - for FREE!

So..... anyone who doesn't think like you is.... wrong? I am retired and my 950 is not my "real phone". I bought it for a very good price on Ebay and it IS specifically for testing and finding bugs.

But it occurs to me I might have mis-identified this forum. While this IS a forum for the 950, is it perhaps NOT a forum for discussing the 950 on NON-production software? OK, off I go.....

Paul

Oh, and the "testing for free" thing...... I don't mind that part of it. It is partially what I used to do for a living and I enjoy it to a point. What I DO MIND is the fact that once identified, bugs hang around for a VERY LONG TIME. And if only a small number of people notice them, even if severe they may never get fixed. I also am often shocked that the software gets released with bugs that are obvious and in your face. Like all the update issues on the WI forum. The first page is almost exclusively update errors and bugs. That's not good.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Why should anybody running on production build care about battery drain on some Alfa build?
I, personally, couldn't care less...

Because, production builds ARE having their issues too and they're not just far a few between nor miniscule. So you happen to be one of the lucky ones, good for you, others aren't so fortunate and it's something MS needs to get a handle on. Jeez, production builds for PCs is no fountain of youth either which is a double whammy for many of its users.

And as for the "FREE" part, everybody thinks MS is doing US a favour by providing alpha/beta software, again, for US to test, me thinks it's the other way around and maybe the Guru of software should be thankful for those willing to test/participate and do the work they chose not to.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
And as for the "FREE" part, everybody thinks MS is doing US a favour by providing alpha/beta software, again, for US to test, me thinks it's the other way around and maybe the Guru of software should be thankful for those willing to test/participate and do the work they chose not to.
In a perfect world, we are doing each other a favor. MS gets the benefit of a large base of people reporting issues on a huge range of configurations. A much broader base than any in house testing program. We testers get the benefit of seeing new features ahead of time as well as participating in the process of squishing bugs.

Unfortunately, in the real world, the only bugs that seem to get the attention of MS are the obvious ones with many upvotes. If I happen to notice a serious issue but no one else upvotes it, I doubt it will ever get fixed. I'm just one tiny voice in a VERY big crowd. They can't even get something basic and CRUCIAL to work right..... the update process itself. And judging from the traffic on the Insider Preview forum, it is getting worse, not better. For example, while I actually have NOT had issues on my phones, one or the other of the last two cumulative updates have killed three of my five PCs running the PRODUCTION build. I got them going again, but only because I am PC literate. And two of those rescues eventually required a total format and reinstall. That is SO not acceptable.

Sorry.... rant over. ;)

Paul

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
one or the other of the last two cumulative updates have killed three of my five PCs running the PRODUCTION build

Ditto for the "kill" part LOL... Just had an incident last night that borked a tablet an hour and half after a complete fresh install, it had been running 10 for months prior but was just too sluggish and to alleviate upgrade woes we'd, well you know. I've had way too many incidences of said kind along with many induced errors, devices being disable or rendered useless, functionality of the OS becoming crippled and so on, a good 99% plus HAVE NOT fallen into the easily fixed, typical solutions category with the end results usually being, you guessed it, a complete refresh.

In comparison, have performed many updates in the past few months on other platforms and in no way, shape or form has the experience been as dismal compared to what its been with Windows 10 for phone aaand PC, nor has the processes being as lengthy or so drawn out.

IMO MS has really bombed in its ability to retain stability/consistency across the board with their latest abominations, use whatever excuse one wants but I've seen better from this "SOFTWARE GIANT" bar none.

Pity the millions that are not tech savvy and that's where MS is failing, many think only the geeks are dealing with such and that is far from the case.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Pity the millions that are not tech savvy and that's where MS is failing, many think only the geeks are dealing with such and that is far from the case.

That's the part I simply don't get. Cumulative updates killed two of my desktops AFTER they were reformatted and reinstalled! In other words, there was NOTHING different unusual about them.... no leftover insider builds. They were essentially the same as any other PC out there. And MS killed them. I'm thinking the Geek Squad has to be doing a land office business right now. And yes, I do have multiple backup images for each machine.

At this point I'd bail on Windows in a heartbeat if I could run all of my essential programs on Linux but there are a couple that don't like wine and don't have a Linux analog. I wonder how the business world is dealing with Windows 10.

Paul (hijacking his own thread)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa