Using lumia as my daily driver from blackberry priv

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone , started about 2 weeks ago using the Lumia as my daily driver and packed the priv away ,

Everything my priv could do I sort of found a way to get a work around and I'm okay with that .

Few things I'm not so happy about is the following .

1. Small app gap for some important apps I use such as bbm which is my main IM as me and the wife use it only . Ebay as well , wanted to search for a spare battery for my xl and I tried finding ebay on the store and came out blank . But these are not major but more a slight inconvenience as I have my work phone which is a Samsung a3 to jump in now and again to assist . Can't believe I'm complaining about this because I used to be a blackberry 10 user and we all know how bad there app situation was .

2. Bing not near to google . That's a fact . No maps integration to searches , news don't pop up ,I miss the instant google search bar but bing holds up on searching etc ,nothing major as it can be fixed with updates .

3. Keyboard not as good as blackberry vkb . This just me being fussy as my blackberry keyboard would autocorrect me perfectly . Lumia keyboard was a bit short on this , not all the time but here and there ,

4.battery life sucks . Period . I get through the day with light usage , medium usage and this thing is done by lunch time so I had to invest in a wireless charger for my office so it sits on it the entire time , not that the priv was much better but with medium use I got through the day with about 20 percent left at 7 pm. As I am typing this I just used 8 percent up ! Ridiculous !

5. Phone heats up for nothing ,
As I'm texting this my phone is warm and abit toasty to the touch and this is a light activity , that's the 810 for sure , got a rubber matte cover to help ease the heat but I still feel it .

6. Laggy performance here and there , As I'm typing this my device has this poor keyboard lag ! Really ? C'mon Microsoft , this isn't down to the 810, its down to poor software ,almost everything in this is os in beta !

Things I love.

1. Best home screen from all the operating systems.
2. Glance screen is phenomenal .
3. Windows hello is amazing .
4. Camera is out of this world . People go on about the pixel but this is on a serious level of brilliant , I'm yet to take a bad picture . Front camera is awesome as well, maybe that's me coming from the privs horrible 2 mp front camera but this is excellent .

Lots of innovation here but so poorly executed !

Would I use this as my daily driver ?

Yes , I dont use my phone that much as my laptop is always on my desk and I don't need to be so mobile alot and all the apps I needed are in the store and the os is stable and performing okay . It hits all the points i need in a device except battery life .

If you going to be using your phone like all the time and are a gamer and like fancy apps and are on the techy side that wants to root and play Pok?mon go obviously this isn't for you . You'd be fooling yourself almost not to be using ios or android.

I'm a 23 year old working professional and I really need a productivity device that just gets things done,

Will use the Lumia and pack the priv away permantly , even for the short comings I'm very pleased with my xl as I prefer something different to the industry norms .

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked if your on the latest OS build? It should be on .448

Also, in Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics > Set Windows ask for feedback to Never and Send your device data to Microsoft to Basic.

Also turn off Background apps for non-essential apps. You may keep Microsoft Apps running in the background for the best experience and personally they don't seem to negatively impact batt life for me.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone , started about 2 weeks ago using the Lumia as my daily driver and packed the priv away ,

2. Bing not near to google . That's a fact . No maps integration to searches , news don't pop up ,I miss the instant google search bar but bing holds up on searching etc ,nothing major as it can be fixed with updates .

Hmm.... Weird. I find the Bing results really good.
Especially compared to the iPhone/SIRI which can't even return the proper business information.

Are you using the Cortana interface?
If no, do you have it turned on? LOL

Cortana will of course integrate maps into your searches and when I just bing things I often find maps that way too.

I also noticed lately there are new features in Bing that are pretty sweet such as being able to click SAVE on videos that Bing finds so you can watch them later.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
There is in fact NEWS built into the Cortana app which will pop up when you open Cortana app (Just by touching the search key on the bottom of the phone once) but there is also a NEWS app, which is likely preinstalled, that you can customize and use as well.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Everything my priv could do I sort of found a way to get a work around and I'm okay with that .

Few things I'm not so happy about is the following .

1. Small app gap for some important apps I use such as bbm which is my main IM as me and the wife use it only . Ebay as well , wanted to search for a spare battery for my xl and I tried finding ebay on the store and came out blank . But these are not major but more a slight inconvenience as I have my work phone which is a Samsung a3 to jump in now and again to assist . Can't believe I'm complaining about this because I used to be a blackberry 10 user and we all know how bad there app situation was .

3. Keyboard not as good as blackberry vkb . This just me being fussy as my blackberry keyboard would autocorrect me perfectly . Lumia keyboard was a bit short on this , not all the time but here and there ,

4.battery life sucks . Period . I get through the day with light usage , medium usage and this thing is done by lunch time so I had to invest in a wireless charger for my office so it sits on it the entire time , not that the priv was much better but with medium use I got through the day with about 20 percent left at 7 pm. As I am typing this I just used 8 percent up ! Ridiculous !

5. Phone heats up for nothing ,
As I'm texting this my phone is warm and abit toasty to the touch and this is a light activity , that's the 810 for sure , got a rubber matte cover to help ease the heat but I still feel it .

6. Laggy performance here and there , As I'm typing this my device has this poor keyboard lag ! Really ? C'mon Microsoft , this isn't down to the 810, its down to poor software ,almost everything in this is os in beta !

Things I love.

1. Best home screen from all the operating systems.
2. Glance screen is phenomenal .
3. Windows hello is amazing .
4. Camera is out of this world . People go on about the pixel but this is on a serious level of brilliant , I'm yet to take a bad picture . Front camera is awesome as well, maybe that's me coming from the privs horrible 2 mp front camera but this is excellent .

Lots of innovation here but so poorly executed !

Would I use this as my daily driver ?

Yes , I dont use my phone that much as my laptop is always on my desk and I don't need to be so mobile alot and all the apps I needed are in the store and the os is stable and performing okay . It hits all the points i need in a device except battery life .

If you going to be using your phone like all the time and are a gamer and like fancy apps and are on the techy side that wants to root and play Pok?mon go obviously this isn't for you . You'd be fooling yourself almost not to be using ios or android.

I'm a 23 year old working professional and I really need a productivity device that just gets things done,

Will use the Lumia and pack the priv away permantly , even for the short comings I'm very pleased with my xl as I prefer something different to the industry norms .

reason for poor batt and heating up is because you just set up your phone almost 2 weeks ago, did you update (not insiders) to the most recent builds? perhaps your phone is still getting itself sorted out... and follow what others have said about turning certain apps off in the background.. I'm a heavy user and I still have 30% batt at the end of the night... also where I work I have REALLY bad cell reception and I know my phone is struggling to catch that reception so it takes a strong toll on my batt and I still have some left at the end of the night... you will see you batt situation will sort itself out soon

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
reason for poor batt and heating up is because you just set up your phone almost 2 weeks ago, did you update (not insiders) to the most recent builds? perhaps your phone is still getting itself sorted out... and follow what others have said about turning certain apps off in the background.. I'm a heavy user and I still have 30% batt at the end of the night... also where I work I have REALLY bad cell reception and I know my phone is struggling to catch that reception so it takes a strong toll on my batt and I still have some left at the end of the night... you will see you batt situation will sort itself out soon

Hi,

Yip I'm on a poor carrier, switching over to vodacom because I don't get more than 3 bars of network and that's pathetic.

With regards to bing search,

I like their searches yes I do, but Google organises it much better.

Like in headings etc.

Didn't try cortana search with maps. But on Google if you type a search in and it's a place itl give you a tab to click onto maps which bing lacks. Nit picking really.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The reason for the poor battery life, in my experience, isn't an issue with having only set the device up. Certain apps, and Edge is the worse offender, sucks the battery life and makes the phone unreliable without a battery pack.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Yip I'm on a poor carrier, switching over to vodacom because I don't get more than 3 bars of network and that's pathetic.

Like in headings etc.

Didn't try cortana search with maps. But on Google if you type a search in and it's a place itl give you a tab to click onto maps which bing lacks. Nit picking really.

Now I'm curious, what are you searching for that does not bring up a map in Bing but does in Google? The Bing searches I do does bring up the maps suggestion, but perhaps it's something specific that it does not recognize as a location?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Now I'm curious, what are you searching for that does not bring up a map in Bing but does in Google? The Bing searches I do does bring up the maps suggestion, but perhaps it's something specific that it does not recognize as a location?

I wonder if the maps suggestion thing may or may not work the same in different regions.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The reason for the poor battery life, in my experience, isn't an issue with having only set the device up. Certain apps, and Edge is the worse offender, sucks the battery life and makes the phone unreliable without a battery pack.

I've never had to use a battery pack and I consider myself a heavy user, and I always have about 30% left over at 11pm when I put it back on the charger... I use edge all the time! Maybe back in the early days when edge first came out it was resource hog, but not nowadays... and you find you're having trouble then turn it off in the background apps settings...

KhurramSzd

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Like in headings etc.

You can set google search as default

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
After I reset my phone a month ago I decided to let Windows Mobile manage the background tasks for Edge, each time I look the % usage is 0% for background and it's when I use Edge that the phone gets hot.
The reason for the reset was that my phone wasn't always like this, I've spoken to colleagues and some of them have the same issues and others not (with the same kind of usage) and for me that's more worrying as I'd expect everyone to have the same issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad