950XL or Alcatel 4S for Windows???

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I already ordered the Alcatel and now that I am seeing some reviews I am questioning my decisions to buy it? The reviews are saying that it is a good phone but the camera isn't anywhere near as good as the 950XL and everything else is just on par with the 950XL... I would love to hear what you guys think about it?

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
From what I have seen in reviews I would say that the processor in it is slightly newer and might not run as hot.
The body might look a little more fancy in some ways and less in others. I always run a case so that don't matter.

The 950XL is still better with the camera lens quality and the two stage camera button is better than the one they added to the Alcatel which is also placed in an awkward position. If I understand correctly, the camera button on the Alcatel is just a button that is programmed to activate the camera and take photos. But it is in the middle rather than at one end so your hand will block your screen when you go to use it!

One reason I got a 950XL was because I had a Lumia ICON and a Luimia 1520 and loved the dedicated camera quality and 2 stage camera shutter button. (Half press for pre-focus, full press to take photo).

Also the 950XL has one of the highest resolution screens out there putting it at over 500 PPI
The Windows version of the Alcatel is just a 1080 screen.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I tried out the X3 at the microsoft store and that 820 chip, in continuum is noticeably better than my 950XL.

I don't think you have much to worry because you're only really concern about pictures but at the same time, not really that concerned. Think you'll really like it overall

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
If pictures are a concern, don't get the Alcatel. Otherwise, go that route. The Idol has better battery life, performance, and speakers than the Lumia. However, the camera is garbage.

Sent from mTalk

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If pictures are a concern, don't get the Alcatel. Otherwise, go that route. The Idol has better battery life, performance, and speakers than the Lumia. However, the camera is garbage.

Sent from mTalk
The camera isn't garbage its ok at best. There are reports that proshot camera makes comparable photos to the lumias. The camera app in general on Windows is crap.

Overall the Idol has a better processor, better battery life, fingerprint scanner, slimmer, better design, more ram more built in storage (64gb device memory) 8mp front camera with flash, and 21mp rear camera.

The 950 has the better camera, wireless charging, NFC (idol doesnt have this) and a iris scanner.

Me personally I think the idol is the better buy, the newer processor, and more ram alone are my personal reasons for opting for this over the 950, add to the fact the 950 is a year old and the Lumia brand is over after the end of the year, who knows how support will be as far as warranty going into the new year. Just a couple things to consider

Sent from mTalk

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The lag on the camera is what gets me. Slow to take photos, and, even when looking through the camera app, It's always a second or so behind.

Sent from mTalk

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The lag on the camera is what gets me. Slow to take photos, and, even when looking through the camera app, It's always a second or so behind.

Sent from mTalk

Oh interesting, I didn't notice comments about slow performance of the camera yet... same when you use proshot cam or camera360 whatever iteration they are on now?

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Still feel 950 xl is the device to have.

I even feel it's better than the x3

The x3 won't work for everyone because of it's size, 950/XL and Idol 4s are great phones no doubt, also taking into account, some $$ savings also that can go towards something else or phone accessories.

Last edited:

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Well my first night with the Alcatel went very well. The screen is beautiful and the build is amazing. It is very much like the Samsung S7. The glass is very slippery and the back is a HUGE fingerprint magnet. I will throw some case on it and it will be fine. I am going to give the camera a good going over today to see what I can find out.

My first impression is that I will really like this phone! It is hard to overstate how well it appears to be built

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Well my first night with the Alcatel went very well. The screen is beautiful and the build is amazing. It is very much like the Samsung S7. The glass is very slippery and the back is a HUGE fingerprint magnet. I will throw some case on it and it will be fine. I am going to give the camera a good going over today to see what I can find out.

My first impression is that I will really like this phone! It is hard to overstate how well it appears to be built

Curious as to the sound quality through the front-facing stereo speakers. Ever since I had an Asus Fonepad Note 6 a while back, I've been obsessed with having a big-screen phone with good front-facing speakers. Surprising how few good ones there are. Even the Elite X3 is supposed to not have that great sound (for music at any rate).

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I am going to give the camera a good going over today to see what I can find out.

Try Proshot when you test the camera. It really does add more detail and contrast to the photos. I think it moves the camera up from average to good.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to your camera impressions. Be sure to take editguy's advice! ProShot is totally worth it.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This is definitely T-Mobile's best Windows phone offering since the 925 and surpassing the 925 in it's design and performance by a long shot IMO.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Curious as to the sound quality through the front-facing stereo speakers. Ever since I had an Asus Fonepad Note 6 a while back, I've been obsessed with having a big-screen phone with good front-facing speakers. Surprising how few good ones there are. Even the Elite X3 is supposed to not have that great sound (for music at any rate).

The sound quality of the speakers on a phone call is amazing, loud and crystal clear. Have not listened to music yet

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to your camera impressions. Be sure to take editguy's advice! ProShot is totally worth it.

I will use Pro-Shot

Last edited by a moderator:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Curious as to the sound quality through the front-facing stereo speakers.
Prepare to be blown away by those speakers.

The camera isn't garbage its ok at best. There are reports that proshot camera makes comparable photos to the lumias.
It's not garbage but it's a major letdown. Pro Shot helps, but it don't make it no Lumia. Unless you're referring to a Lumia 435.

I've had the 950 series and now this Idol. Performance-wise, the Idol is on another level. Better battery life, smoother transitions and no heat throttling. The Idol kills the 950s in the looks department and that's not even debatable. The sounds this rig makes are some of the best I've ever heard (The Acer LJP is a very close second).

Did I mention the camera is close to useless? For a high-end device, mind you.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
The only reason I got the Lumia is for the camera. The os is good enough for daily usage, but there are times when android is better.

Build quality is nice to have, but i wouldnt want to fork out for a windows mobile. But like heycori said, if you can get one for cheap (not rrp, definitely not on release day), you are a winner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea