X3 Overheating

josephan

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my X3 since the early days of it's release. The device has never run hot on me before, until about a week ago. It was on my desk and when I picked it up it was very warm. The back was warm as well as the glass on the front. The battery was also run down from a full charge to about 40% in only about 5 or 6 hours. Today, the same thing happened. Picked it up and the case and glass was shockingly warm. Checked the running apps and nothing really stood out. Outlook, podcast, Skype Preview and phone dialer. Turned it off and temperature seemed to be increasing even with it off. I let it sit a minute or two, then rebooted and it started to cool down. Battery level went to 40s again on about 6 hours since full charge. I'm suspecting Skype Preview might be running the processor in a loop but I'm really not sure. Anyone else having any similar problems? (I'm running the released OS, not Insider)

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Go into Settings > System > Battery > Battery usage by app and see what the top apps are. This should tell you if it's an app working the processor.

Also, where on the device is it heating up? Is it near the top (camera)?

josephan

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I will take a look at the running apps if it happens again. As cool as the X3 runs, I was in a little bit of a panic when I found the device that warm and I was just trying to get it to cool down. I guess the trouble with the Samsung Note 7 has put the possibility of a melting phone in my mind. The phone was warmest below the fingerprint sensor but I can't say it was isolated to that area so I can't say for sure. At the point I found it, the glass was uncomfortably warm across the entire front face so whatever the source, the heat had dispersed at that point. Hopefully it was a unique combination of processes. Thanks for you input.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I had seemingly apparent overheating when using wireless continuum which another user pointed out being a likely result of switching between wireless modes due to internet being on 5Ghz but continuum being on 2.4Ghz?

Beyond that my phone occasional gets hot seemingly randomly. you can tell when it is hot as the keyboard becomes unresponsive (visually) to input and there is a massive delay before it decides to start making your text appear. Apps usually go unresponsive too but by this point i usual cycle the screen off and on and it tends to resolve.

Heat I would say is around the camera region up, not down, and there wasn't a massive drop in battery noticed from me.

personally I think it's OS /driver related, or something a bit funky with their wireless hardware.

josephan

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My X3 started heating up again and I took a temperature gun to it at got 97F near camera and fingerprint sensor and 95F lower down near HP logo. I was not running continuum. This morning I powered down, put it on the dock and came back two hours later to find it hot again. 101F at top 97F at logo and battery was showing 26% charge after two hours sitting on the dock. I think I'll reinstall OS and see if that helps.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My X3 started heating up again and I took a temperature gun to it at got 97F near camera and fingerprint sensor and 95F lower down near HP logo. I was not running continuum. This morning I powered down, put it on the dock and came back two hours later to find it hot again. 101F at top 97F at logo and battery was showing 26% charge after two hours sitting on the dock. I think I'll reinstall OS and see if that helps.
I'm curious, it sat on the dock while charging for 2hrs and was only at 26%? Was that from a <5% charge or something? I've noticed only two high hitters in my battery usage under settings. It's only ever been Skype preview (when it was installed) and Edge.

From time to time I'll hit a poorly coded web page that will chew my battery up. Or could be edge itself. Either way I kill all the tabs and kill edge. Soft reboot when necessary.

When skype preview offered the sms relay option I jumped right on it, until I noticed I had crashed 4 times in one day. I then proceeded to hard reset my phone. Then found I could no longer get my app library to show up in the store. Long story short I used the wdrt to wipe and reload it, got back to the current production build and I'm a lot better off. But I have not started skype preview or will know if it was ever purely the cause. In fact I actually uninstalled it for now.

sent by mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99