are these phones working properly?

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Seems that people still have issues with these phones nearly a year after release. With the upcoming Black Friday deal I find it hard to turn down the opportunity to get a 950xl, 950 and dock for a little more than the Alcatel 4s. When they dropped to $30 I purchased 4 640s and my family continues to use 3 of them. They've all worked just fine without any significant issues. My wife still uses 8.1 and thinks her touch screen is starting to have issues. I still have the 4th phone available to replace the one she is using. I don't "have" to upgrade and I definitely don't want to upgrade if the 950xl and 950 have never fully worked out the issues. I don't have a huge issue with battery and heating issues since I originally had 920s that always had that issue. Only my phone is on release preview and I don't want to use Fast ring (would consider slow) for the 950s. Thanks for any comments.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I have the 950. It has gotten better month by month but still buggy. Be prepared to hard reset about every other month to work out the bugs.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I have only factory reset my 950XL once, and that was after the last major update.
My biggest problem has been with satisfaction after paying the full price at release. I will never do that again.
The only residual problem is with the BT not working smoothly if Wi-Fi is on, but I have the same problem with my Android HTC M9.
If you are a Windows Phone fan, and are comfortable with the price, and lack of Otterbox or LifeProof case, I think you would be happy.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the latest production build for my 950XL and it has this occasional brightness bug where it stays dim until I restart it. Also Bluetooth seems flaky as sometimes it cuts out. Apart from that I love the phone and OS.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
People only tend to post online when they are having problems. You generally should be fine with a 950xl today and I've been a day 1 950xl user so I've been through those tough times haha. I was confident enough to get a 950 for my wife a while back.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
My gf got a 950 the end of May. We did a hard reset immediately and it's been solid since. Been doing the production updates as they're released and any small issues, i.e., occasional delay when waking, have been fixed with soft resets.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for a year. I purchased it right when it came out and paid the insane price. The phone was just horrible at first. After anniversary update things got great. Now I have not had any issues at all on it since some build starting with .3xx. .448 has been running great too. 0 issues no factory resets.

950 XL here. The xl is definitely better than the 950. My guess is more optimized too since Satya apparently uses one hehe.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I got a 950XL when they were first released in Thailand. Despite a few issues, especially with insider builds, which is obvious, the performance has definitely improved.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Bought the 950 XL brand new in May. Haven't had any serious issues. Not even one hard reset. Always stayed on production builds. Definitely a lot of small bugs that were fixed by the anniversary update. Battery life has been average , so I am considering a hard reset for that reason only. If you can get one for a decent deal, I say have at it!

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a 950 XL DS running insider peview release as my daily driver and a 950 running fast ring insider previews. Let me tell you these machines fly. I have only had to do one soft restart on my 950 XL in the last month. In my opinion they are both running better than ever. If I were you upgrade you wont be disappointed. My 950 XL DS is hands down the best smartphone I have ever owned. My Note 5 has been regulated to be the backup to the backup now.

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
So here you go. I didn't get the phone when they first came out, but I have been a Windows10 user since it first came out. I fell in love with it immediately and Microsoft just keeps making it better. After the November update, I made the plunge and went to a 950 in March of this year. There were definitely still some bugs, but not enough to really bother me -- I knew what I was getting myself in to.

I was formally an iPhone and Android user, but honestly, never fell in love with either platform - I've been back and forth a few times. I think my main issue is I'm not on social media and aside from the once-in-a-blue-moon game I might get, the platforms are obviously designed around app markets and that kind of stuff. I was never a big fan of Windows8. It just seemed cluttered to me and less than intuitive. So anyhow, after falling in love with Windows10 from the start, I figured it's time to give the Mobile version a shot.

So the 950 was promising when I first got it. The one thing it couldn't do was receive SMS texts on my desktop. That was super disappointing because that's all I really want. I love my desktop and would love to not have to stop what I'm doing to reply to something with my phone. They fixed all of that with the anniversary update. Slowly they get the little bugs here and there worked out. I'll also say, the settings menu was just dreadful when I first got it. I couldn't find anything in settings. There was no rhyme or reason as to where they put things. After the Anniversary update though, they re-organized it beautifully.

I bought my 950 knew I was getting a less than perfect system, but quite honestly, having seen where it was earlier this year and where it is now, I'm quite proud of Microsoft. My 950 was finally running beautifully, so I said, "time to get a 950XL". I've had a 950XL for over a month now and it runs flawlessly. I have zero issues. Skype Preview is still a work in progress, but I've seen that come a long way and really have no issues with that anymore either. I can use it as my primary SMS app now.

Additionally, if you're looking to get a good price on an 950XL:

https://www.onedigitals.com/products/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-32gb-4g-lte-black-unlocked#

That's where I got mine from. A steal in my opinion. I am fully dedicated to the Microsoft eco system and they have met every expectation I've had along the way. Again, the key factor for me is I don't care about apps. For the little knick knacks I do care about, I've been able to find an app in the Store.

No hard restarts on either on my phones. Both are in the Insider Release Preview Ring.

I'm excited to see what they develop next. Personally, I think it's kind of cool to be on the front lines as they develop Mobile. It's not for everyone, but it suits my needs and I'm quite frankly in love. Not something I could ever say about iPhone or Android, but then again, they didn't seamlessly integrate into my PC either.

And lastly, a lot of people complaint about the back feeling plasticky. I didn't find it to be that much of a problem, but I can see where they're coming from based on what the initial price point was for these phones. Try this:

Products ? Mozo Accessories

It definitely changes the feel of the phone.

bill broad

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought 950xl a week ago on Amazon...dual sim international....initial set up was quirky...but has been fine...no resets of any kind... I use many different phones ,but always come back to windows....hopefully the issues others wrestle with are not on newer production units.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans