Should I Pick up a 650 on Sale?

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
So I am looking for some recommendations.

The 650 is currently $99 CAD right meow and I was thinking of picking one up because all like 5 of my Windows Phones are absolutely thrashed. So I was wondering if any one would recommend it as a good secondary device (Can't see it replacing my OnePlus X as a daily) for checking the progress of Windows Mobile.

Really what I want to know is if it is a good representation of the platform as it is or is the phone to underpowered for me to get any fun out of. Additionally, I did just lowball some people about used Lumia 930s and would be inclined to go that route if any of them go for it.

Thanks for your thoughts

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't game so I can't comment on that. The 650 is definitely a good device, but it is slower opening web sites such as Windows central or any website with heavy graphic content .

The 650 is fairly snappy though overall given the 212 processor in it.

I would say it makes a good daily device for light to moderate users. I am keeping mine as a secondary backup. Still take it out every now and then and use it for a day or so.

I say go for it. You have nothing to lose. It is a fine low to mid range phone and on top of that it looks premium too.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I ordered the Lumia 650 from the Microsoft store Thursday. I plan to replace my 640.
I'm looking forward to the 16GB and OLED screen. The 8GB limitation on the 640 has caused problems with the OS updates, and I've found it's micro sd card usage to be unreliable at times-I don't know if the card, card reader, software or the supermoon have been the problem!!
Planning on getting a Samsung Memory 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card for the new phone. Any comments or suggestions on the card choice?

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I recently got a 650 to replace my 635. I don't game either so the 650 works great for me. The windows central application totally sucks on my 650. Every time I try to post or reply in the forums it doesn't post, just disappears.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
So I picked one up. I figured I can return it if I don't really like it.

So far it is struggling to update. So hopefully the update makes it faster.

Thanks y'all

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I just picked one up to replace my 635 which I had replaced with a BLU WIN HD LTE which I did not like and is currently on the chopping block. Just getting it set up now. Looks nice - There's a great unadvertized sale price on the Otterbox at the Microsoft store. If you have a store close by, it may be worth a visit.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Just for the heck of it I picked up the 650 as well, just waiting on delivery. Considering the price ($99 CAD) we're betting it wasn't a bad decision if recent reviews are any indication. It'll be competing against my 830 which we're using right now because, wait for it, we are a "switch-a-holic", phones, cases, themes you name it, never satisfied leaving well enough alone LOL. Of course my inner soft spot for the platform does play somewhat of a role here too ;).

Getting back to my 830, for some odd reason, and to my delight, it decided to "martin up" and surprisingly enough it's functioning quite well on build .448, far from perfect yet very tolerable. That may be a good sign for my 650 and we're anticipating as much.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
So for those here wondering.

I did pick up the 650 and got it all updated to the latest production build. First impressions are mixed. The design is good; I really like the look and feel. The performance is not that great. Most reviews say it's snappy around the OS but i'm definitely not seeing that. There seems to be a lag doing almost anything. Also, the keyboard. Not sure what the problem is but it is very hard to type accurately.

Good to be back. Calls are crystal clear and work quite well haha.

Thanks guys

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Only performance issues I have with mine on Cricket (att service) here in USA is the windows central app. Stutters when scrolling in forums and rarely let's me post. Most posts disappear when I hit reply.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So for those here wondering.

I did pick up the 650 and got it all updated to the latest production build. First impressions are mixed. The design is good; I really like the look and feel. The performance is not that great. Most reviews say it's snappy around the OS but i'm definitely not seeing that. There seems to be a lag doing almost anything. Also, the keyboard. Not sure what the problem is but it is very hard to type accurately.

Good to be back. Calls are crystal clear and work quite well haha.

Thanks guys

Sorry to hear about your lag and keyboard issues. I may be off the wall here but did you try a soft or hard reset after initially setting up your phone? Sounds strange but from my experienced and reads doing such almost seems to be a prerequisite for Windows Phone and 10 to ensure better stability.

Since I"ll be pitting the 650 against my 830 I'm hoping there's only one direction it can go, UP, realistically not expecting huge improvements yet its got to be somewhat better.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your lag and keyboard issues. I may be off the wall here but did you try a soft or hard reset after initially setting up your phone? Sounds strange but from my experienced and reads doing such almost seems to be a prerequisite for Windows Phone and 10 to ensure better stability.

Since I"ll be pitting the 650 against my 830 I'm hoping there's only one direction it can go, UP, realistically not expecting huge improvements yet its got to be somewhat better.

I did not do a reset. It may be worth it though. I would definitely say it's better than my 830. The screen is like 5 times better for the same resolutions. Better feel in hand and design. About the same speed as 830 on W10 (although it has been a while since I used my 830).

Should I put this on the Insider Program? It has the Anniversary update so I can't seem to find anyone talking about improvements from the latest builds.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I did not do a reset. It may be worth it though. I would definitely say it's better than my 830. The screen is like 5 times better for the same resolutions. Better feel in hand and design. About the same speed as 830 on W10 (although it has been a while since I used my 830).

Should I put this on the Insider Program? It has the Anniversary update so I can't seem to find anyone talking about improvements from the latest builds.

Yeah the first Anniversary update is like 2 updates behind. You don't need to join Insider to get those. There's an improvement for the Wifi issue and I believe that there's also a slight battery improvement in the update too. I'll have to locate the actual article that Windows Central wrote about it.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...3-448-redstone-1-non-insider.html#post3576327

It's also up to you if you want to join Insider. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to see how things go with the phone first before doing that.

James_Pauls

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the first Anniversary update is like 2 updates behind. You don't need to join Insider to get those. There's an improvement for the Wifi issue and I believe that there's also a slight battery improvement in the update too. I'll have to locate the actual article that Windows Central wrote about it.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...3-448-redstone-1-non-insider.html#post3576327

It's also up to you if you want to join Insider. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to see how things go with the phone first before doing that.

Oh that's the build I am on. Obviously I need to keep up with Windows Central more cause I am falling behind on the insider knowledge. It's been at least a year now that I haven't been using a Windows Phone as my daily driver.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely say it's better than my 830. The screen is like 5 times better for the same resolutions. Better feel in hand and design. About the same speed as 830 on W10 (although it has been a while since I used my 830).

That gives me a bit more reassurance so happy to hear.:smile: For the price point doubtful there's much else out there that could compete especially on the 16GB of storage and camera front. If the opportunity arises will do a comparison between the 650 and my 830, seen a few but were date and a little inconclusive although 650 did appear to have the edge, eager to find out for myself.

I'm planning on leaving mine "as is" for now and just as Llibra mentioned, see how things go.

If you haven't guessed still waiting for mine to arrive :unhappy:, hopefully in the next couple of days :excited:

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I've had a lot of Windows phones and the 650 is a great phone and certainly the lower cost one to have, if you're not expecting to have really intensive use from it. Performance is good, the design and size are great and it's got most Windows 10 benefits - apart from continuum, should you want that. Its very small and thin size, though in a strong housing, also means it's comfortable to carry around, more so than many larger handsets.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had a lot of Windows phones and the 650 is a great phone and certainly the lower cost one to have, if you're not expecting to have really intensive use from it. Performance is good, the design and size are great and it's got most Windows 10 benefits - apart from continuum, should you want that. Its very small and thin size, though in a strong housing, also means it's comfortable to carry around, more so than many larger handsets.

If it can do the basics (calls, email, texting, web browsing) then it should be more than decent, throw in what appears to be an above average camera (for price point), dual SIM, unlocked and now it becomes a steal IMO.

Hear "thin" being mentioned often but also "light" as well, curious how that's going to feel... Always adorn my phones w/cases so thin/light it won't be for long lol. How it handles W10 compared to my 830 will be interesting to see since it was supposedly designed around the new OS. Also a tad concerned about battery yet at the same time being that it's replaceable the point is somewhat muted, finding one may be another story though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb