I tried to update my unlocked Lumia 640 to Win 10 today. It was caught in the reboot loop for about an hour. So I tried the hard reset and that did nothing. I then tried using the Device Recovery Tool.

During that apparently the phone went into the restart loop and now the phone is dead, except when I hold the down volume and power button for 2 minutes. Windows sees the phone as a QHSUSB_BULK Device but the emergency flash fails? It starts a log and then just stops working for some reason, I can't understand. Although I did notice that once during the flash the phone disappeared from the USB listings.

I have tried the emergency flash after leaving the battery out for an hour as suggested on some sites. I have tried with no sim card. I have tried with no sd card. I have tried without either card. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the recovery software...?

Since it is unlocked I didn't try it with the sim that came from AT&T as I don't want the phone to be locked with AT&T again.... Even though I have still have the original code sent from AT&T, but have no idea if that would unlock the phone again?

So is there some trick I have missed or do I start shopping for a new phone?
    Last edited by JR Mann; 12-05-2016 at 06:50 PM.
    12-05-2016 05:51 PM
    You have managed to hard brick your device.

presence of a SIM wont effect the firmware flash in any way. Sometimes memory cards do , but you have already removed it.

in my opinion you will have to visit Microsoft care to fix this.
    12-05-2016 11:39 PM
    You have managed to hard brick your device.

presence of a SIM wont effect the firmware flash in any way. Sometimes memory cards do , but you have already removed it.

in my opinion you will have to visit Microsoft care to fix this.
    I was afraid I had hard bricked it.... thanks for confirming it.
    12-06-2016 12:55 PM
    Before you give up, try the Nokia recovery tool: http://m.windowscentral.com/nokia-so...ne-81-and-more
    12-06-2016 05:19 PM
    Maybe a little late but I got this exact problem+ cause of it and even around the same time as you (coincidence?) they told me when in this state (Q-husb bulk) the bootloader got ****ed up. Only thing to save the phone is to physically shoot a new bootloader into the motherboard of the phone. (that's what they did with mine )
    02-21-2017 08:24 PM
    Originally posted by arjan wolthuis
    Maybe a little late but I got this exact problem+ cause of it and even around the same time as you (coincidence?) they told me when in this state (Q-husb bulk) the bootloader got ****ed up. Only thing to save the phone is to physically shoot a new bootloader into the motherboard of the phone. (that's what they did with mine )

And because of the -bulk state. The emergency flash doesn't work because it can't find were the bootloader is located in the UEFI.
    02-21-2017 08:27 PM