Found out the hard way: HP Support is awesome!

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
tl;dr: HP Support was awesome and overnighted me a new device w/in 10 minutes of calling me.

Got my phone on Thursday last week. Awesome device, love everything about it. However, on Monday night it shut off and would not boot. I was a little freaked not knowing how / when I'd get it fixed. So I slipped my SIM back into my 950 and figured I'd find out soon enough.

Tuesday morning I created a support ticket with HP. Within 30 minutes my phone rang - it was HP Support reaching out to me regarding the ticket. The woman I spoke with was familiar with Windows 10 Mobile and the HP Elite X3 (very refreshing). She asked if I was comfortable "re-installing the OS" with a desktop tool. I asked if she meant the WDRT, and if so I'd already tried it. Since the phone wouldn't boot, there was nothing to identify on the USB port so it never connected. And thus I couldn't get it to work.

She said that that made perfect sense, so she'd send a new phone and I should send the old one back 5 days after I get it. The phone came "by 10:30" via FedEx overnight and I got it this a.m. Set it up and everything is working great. Obviously time will tell, but my experience so far was nothing short of awesome.

Just thought I'd share this positive feedback about HP's support since they deserve the mention and those of you wondering what to expect can find out in a much easier way than I did ;)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What kind of support contract are you in on? Just curious because I have not opted for additional coverage yet...

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What kind of support contract are you in on? Just curious because I have not opted for additional coverage yet...

That's a good question, and I should have mentioned that in my post: Just warranty. I simply entered the serial number (which was listed in the shipping email "your HP order H***** has shipped", as well as on the packaging). This email also has the link to customer service where you enter that number and it tells you it is under warranty. I do not have any additional coverage with HP. That's one of the reasons I was so happy w/ the customer service!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That's a good question, and I should have mentioned that in my post: Just warranty. I simply entered the serial number (which was listed in the shipping email "your HP order H***** has shipped", as well as on the packaging). This email also has the link to customer service where you enter that number and it tells you it is under warranty. I do not have any additional coverage with HP. That's one of the reasons I was so happy w/ the customer service!
Ok. I was thinking (and hoping) you had just the year manufacturer warranty. That's great that even just having the device you're issue was handled in that way. I have always loved and preferred the elite support over the other hp products.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft support was also awesome! I recently returned my x3 after only a week of spotty usage and they opened a brand new bundle just to give me a new phone. New one works like a charm so far and I didn't have to wait for shipping. Glad to see everyone's being pretty hassle free with this device.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
HP support is pretty good.

But that is also pretty standard warranty procedure for big companies these days.

Microsoft, last time i checked would even ship you a replacement surface device before you send yours back for repair, just so you have a device to continue using as most of these places won't actually fix and send your original device back, they just give you an already repaired device that had a similar issue.

The real question is, was the replacement a brand new device or a repaired return, and has it been covered under warranty or returns policy?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Likely this will be "YMMV" especially if ones live out in the sticks, like me... My 650 encountered a hardware issue 3-days into owning it, although Microsoft's support was pleasant to deal with just getting to the point of shipping it back for evaluation wasn't what I'd consider as being a smooth process. To top that off, due to their ONE return option (slowest shipping possible) for returns/exchanges along with the up and coming holidays, I'll be lucky to see results by early January. Not really a heart-warming feeling with the only saving grace being, I have multiple phones to fall back on but if I didn't?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Good support is always a nice thing, but I do wonder how they feel about the whole project now. There have been 2 FW updates already and they are exchanging the phones no questions asked. Looks like there might have been some ****-up during designing and/ or manufacturing the phone. You do not want this kind of issues, especially when you are targeting businesses with it.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Good support is always a nice thing, but I do wonder how they feel about the whole project now. There have been 2 FW updates already and they are exchanging the phones no questions asked. Looks like there might have been some ****-up during designing and/ or manufacturing the phone. You do not want this kind of issues, especially when you are targeting businesses with it.

I wonder about this too. When I spoke to HP support he didn't exactly seem eager to send me a replacement right away, but more concerned with the issues and how we can fix them. He said he would be discussing the issues from this forum as well as the HP support forum with his team and escalate them if necessary.

He said he certainly would send me a replacement but wanted to attempt solving the issues first. Good on them, glad they're taking time to help.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I ended up having a good experience as well. My SIM tray had issues, and they finally sent me a new one after a little hesitation in replacing my phone. They overnighted it while I was in Las Vegas, got home and it was waiting underneath my floor mat on the front porch :) Pretty cool stuff and a great experience in the end. If anyone else has SIM tray issues and needs the replacement FRU # let me know, because they didn't seem to realize it was available as a replacement part at first.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My situation is a little bit different. The success story here is with new systems. I have a Stream 8 and need to re-flash to 8.1 or a disk image to flash to 10. Since it's a legacy product, HP want roughly $80 to re-flash either one. I'm trying to sell the table for $70 so buying the image does not make sense. There is no where I have found to download either image online.

Boo hoo but certainly understandable.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
My situation is a little bit different. The success story here is with new systems. I have a Stream 8 and need to re-flash to 8.1 or a disk image to flash to 10. Since it's a legacy product, HP want roughly $80 to re-flash either one. I'm trying to sell the table for $70 so buying the image does not make sense. There is no where I have found to download either image online.

Boo hoo but certainly understandable.
If you have a USB stick (at least 4GB, blank) and an adapter to plug it into the port on the tablet, you can download Windows 8.1 or 10 here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fen-us%2Fsoftware-download%2F&token=M46e1g2B
This works for all Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 systems with the product key embedded on the system board (most systems with the OS preinstalled) or systems with a Windows 10 digital license. Otherwise you'll need a product key to activate Windows.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If you have a USB stick (at least 4GB, blank) and an adapter to plug it into the port on the tablet, you can download Windows 8.1 or 10 here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fen-us%2Fsoftware-download%2F&token=kWortSzy
This works for all Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 systems with the product key embedded on the system board (most systems with the OS preinstalled) or systems with a Windows 10 digital license. Otherwise you'll need a product key to activate Windows.

Thanks so much. I will try this tomorrow. If I try tonight after the long day and it doesn't help, I'd probably use the Stream 8 as a boomerang and not care if it came back. LOL thanks again.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720