Better photos at night. How?

angel1998

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi WindowsCentral again!!
I own a Lumia 640DS(not XL) and my problem is that, when i take a photo in the morning-sunny day it's has taken with good quality....
But when im taking photo at night with middle-low light its taken with noise(as normal) and the colors is not so good..(im not remember the right word to describe it better!)
All that in auto mode!!
When i'll change the iso to 100-200 the colors its even better as compared with before in auto mode, but the picture it will be shaky as steady as my hand will be!!
Thank for answering me and sorry for any mistakes..:eek:rly: :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you get a tripod or make sure the phone is not moving or shaking when taking a photo you can have longer exposures which are beneficial.

If you use flash, you can sometimes adjust the lighting later if you use HDR mode which may be a good idea.

But a lot of it is also the phone's inherent camera hardware and it may not be up-to-the-task in low-light which has been traditionally a tough nut to crack for phone cameras.

Moved to 640.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
In general, all cameras require longer exposure settings to get better night shots. The unfortunate aspect is that longer exposure times require no shaking meaning a tripod is almost a must. In addition, you must keep in mind that the camera on this device is not top notch therefore its ability to catch great night shots is very limited. Dealing with photography means that your sensor (whether it is CMOS or CCD) has a lot to do with better night shots. For the most part, even your most basic point and shoot cameras ($100 or less) will do better as they are dedicated devices with focus on better sensors and post processing. Smartphones try to pack a wide stay of features and that means it is at a cost.

Sent from mTalk

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
It will sound ridiculous but it's not, get some extra light, be steady and add some gamma with any photo editor in your computer.

There are some other pro options to make a blurry low light picture better, and even to capture it better than normally, but it will depend of each particular situation.

Last edited:

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Turn Rich HDR on that way you will be able to determine after taking the picture whether you want the picture with or without flash or somewhere in between.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
If you want to snap quick photos, HDR mode will help you a bit but if you have a little time to spare, use the pro mode and set shutter speed high enough that pics don't come out shaky (for me 1/30 works) and set ISO as low as possible (usually 100 works for me) so pics are properly lit. Results may vary according to the lighting conditions but usually they are much better than usual. It still won't give you amazing low light shots, but you will get the best this camera can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss