Lumia 650 or Lumia 830

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I'm currently using a Verizon Lumia 735 as my daily driver and I'm looking into making a side grade to a Lumia 650 and Lumia 830.

The primary reason being the Verizon Lumia 735's Mobile Hotspot feature seems like it's locked by Verizon. I just got a postpaid plan and I am unable to create a hotspot.

So looking at the two possible daily driver replacements, they seem pretty much even. So I'd like to get additional thoughts on this matter.

650 vs 830
Looks
> It's a coin toss, both devices look good.
Screen
> AMOLED vs LCD
Storage
> both 16gb
RAM
> both 1GB
CPU
> Reportedly, the 650 has better CPU speeds but a weaker GPU
Camera
> Windows 10 Mobile turned Lumia 735's half decent camera into a bland one, not sure how it affects Lumia 830. The camera samples of the Lumia 650 are looking decent so far.
Battery
> 650 might be weaker in this regard though I'm not sure.

In addition, I've been reading reports about the 830's camera being faulty with some saying that they are unable to a launch the camera and receive a "Something went wrong" error.
^ This may be deciding factor.

Anyone moved from an 830 to 650 or have owned both? Pls share thoughts.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I had an 830 and now have the 650. The 650 is a very decent phone and as the OP stated the 650 is newer and runs win 10 out of the box.

Just a note: My 830 had screen flickering issues which I think was a known issue with this model.

Better to go with the 650 which will run win 10 better and has a decent camera for a budget device.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Just a few thoughts: the 830 has wireless charging, the 650 not.

Although the standard camera on the 830 has deteriorated after WM 10 by downloading and using
Camera360 Sight the camera has improved considerably and finally the 830 uses Carl Zeiss optics.

I've been using the 830 for close to 2 years now, updated to WM 10 and don't have any issues whatsoever.
So it's going to be a difficult choice. Good luck!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, I'm currently using a Verizon Lumia 735 as my daily driver and I'm looking into making a side grade to a Lumia 650 and Lumia 830.

The primary reason being the Verizon Lumia 735's Mobile Hotspot feature seems like it's locked by Verizon. I just got a postpaid plan and I am unable to create a hotspot.

So looking at the two possible daily driver replacements, they seem pretty much even. So I'd like to get additional thoughts on this matter.

650 vs 830
Looks
> It's a coin toss, both devices look good.
Screen
> AMOLED vs LCD
Storage
> both 16gb
RAM
> both 1GB
CPU
> Reportedly, the 650 has better CPU speeds but a weaker GPU
Camera
> Windows 10 Mobile turned Lumia 735's half decent camera into a bland one, not sure how it affects Lumia 830. The camera samples of the Lumia 650 are looking decent so far.
Battery
> 650 might be weaker in this regard though I'm not sure.

In addition, I've been reading reports about the 830's camera being faulty with some saying that they are unable to a launch the camera and receive a "Something went wrong" error.
^ This may be deciding factor.

Anyone moved from an 830 to 650 or have owned both? Pls share thoughts.

Only had the 650 for few days and it felt so much nicer than my 830, display is awesome, looks premium (if no case), lighter, felt a tad snappier and battery wasn't all that bad although we didn't have it long enough to gauge actual stamina fully. Front facing (selfie) camera is better, 5 MP vs 0.9 MP, charging port is on bottom vs 830s top, dual-SIM, factory unlocked, slightly faster processor @ .1 GHz and forward facing speaker. The other bonus (if there's such a thing w/WP/WM) it comes natively w/W10M and was designed with that in mind..

You do lose a few things (as already mentioned), no wireless charging, camera only 8 MP compared to 10 MP, no OIS, no dedicated camera button and GPU is the lesser Adreno 304 vs Adreno 305.

Both have displays that are in the 5.0" range, metal frames, removable plastic backs and batteries along with expandable storage. Same internal storage and ram.

The 650 definitely gets my vote if you can live w/o those features the 830 has over the 650.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'd go for 650: newer phone and was launched with w10. Also for me it's nicer to handle.

Agreed, i think the 650 would be the better choice. it's got a nice OLED display and 720p should be sharp enough. Around 295 PPI. i also like it more because it was released this year. Not always a good decision to purchase a device thats made in 2014.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb