To's and Not To's with my 950

Mikado_Wu

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, after chilling with a 640 for the past year I upgraded to a 950 over the Christmas break. While I defiantly missed the Wireless charging from my 920, open apps does not show a huge difference. That said the Camera is awesome.

With that here are some questions?

I bought the phone out right, though it is an ATT model. Can I and should I break it from ATT's control?

On my 920/640 I ran with the insider program. Is there any real reason to continue to do so? I am also removing all my computers from Insider program as well, as I no longer see the benefit of it and the creative update brings no interest to me.

I have noticed an issue when I push the power, that the screen freezes and I can not swipe to unlock. Usually if I pause for a few seconds and try again it works. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Is there anything else I may be missing?

Thank you all....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Before anything, I would suggest checking for updates and installing all of the pending app updates in the store.

If you mean sim unlocking it, it's up to you. If you wish to sell it later, it would be better to get it unlocked from AT&T but if you are on there, no need to do so unless you want to. Microsoft controls all software updates and AT&T controls the firmware ones and that will not change with a sim unlock or not.

Microsoft releases an official update every month no matter what, so unless you want more updates, no need to join Insider. I recommend seeing how you like the phone by itself first.

Additionally, you can try turning on double tap to wake to see if that's a workaround for your issue.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Wait you're saying the 950 doesn't have wireless charging? Because mine does, in fact that's one of the things I miss on my Android phone.

I use the same charging pad I used for my 920. Still works perfectly!

Mikado_Wu

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wait you're saying the 950 doesn't have wireless charging? Because mine does, in fact that's one of the things I miss on my Android phone.

I use the same charging pad I used for my 920. Still works perfectly!

No No, the 640 did not have the Wireless charging. Yes the 950 has it and I am using the same plates from my 920 as well. That said, I am still looking for a a good wallet case for the phone. After reading a lot of reviews on the Mozo case have not seem to impress the population as a whole. The Terrapin case I purchased seems well made, for now, but charging through the case does not always work.

Mikado_Wu

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Before anything, I would suggest checking for updates and installing all of the pending app updates in the store.

If you mean sim unlocking it, it's up to you. If you wish to sell it later, it would be better to get it unlocked from AT&T but if you are on there, no need to do so unless you want to. Microsoft controls all software updates and AT&T controls the firmware ones and that will not change with a sim unlock or not.

Microsoft releases an official update every month no matter what, so unless you want more updates, no need to join Insider. I recommend seeing how you like the phone by itself first.

Additionally, you can try turning on double tap to wake to see if that's a workaround for your issue.

Thank you for the Advice, I did turn on double tap per your recommendation.

As for the Sim unlocking, does ATT still control the firm if unlocked? If so, you are right and I will leave it locked as I plan on keeping this phone till it is dead.

Updates, Yeppers I did that before I even put in my sim card. While the Windows Updates came through and installed quickly I was surprised on how slow the Windows Store App updating process was. 30 Apps updates, all preinstalled ones, took almost 3 hours over WiFi. Is this normal? Once these was complete, additional apps installed far more quickly.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the Advice, I did turn on double tap per your recommendation.

As for the Sim unlocking, does ATT still control the firm if unlocked? If so, you are right and I will leave it locked as I plan on keeping this phone till it is dead.

Updates, Yeppers I did that before I even put in my sim card. While the Windows Updates came through and installed quickly I was surprised on how slow the Windows Store App updating process was. 30 Apps updates, all preinstalled ones, took almost 3 hours over WiFi. Is this normal? Once these was complete, additional apps installed far more quickly.

You're welcome.

Yep, that makes the difference between a factory unlocked phone and a carrier phone.

Yeah, since it is a lot, it takes some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo