What is the best build for the Icon?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey gang, I am hanging in there on my 3rd Nokia Icon waiting for the Surface Phone as long as I can. I am currently on build 14393.693,*and I have a couple of issues that haven't gone away with this latest build in the Release Preview branch. One is that my phone screen turns off when a call is answered, and it's often several repeated power button pushes to get it to turn on. It's also a problem when I am done talking but the*other*party doesn't hang up right away. I can't get to the*end call button, sometimes for 5-10 seconds.
Another is that Bluetooth in my car "picket fences" the audio. This*started happening 2-3 weeks ago, and often I have to put*the call on speaker instead, at which point problem number 1*gets in the way. Not something you want when you are driving, but I have to be able to work too.

To all the other folks still rocking an Icon, is there a newer build that is more stable? I do understand that this is all pre-release software, but that's the world we live in unless we want to move to iOS or Android. I just can't risk lowering my functionality below where I am now.

So let's hear it: What's the best build of Windows 10 for the Icon? *

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can't really pick and choose builds so ultimately it doesn't matter. You can get more dangerous and switch to Slow or Fast ring but I don't think that'll end well.

I suspect your proximity sensor might not be working right since that in-call behavior is consistent with that issue.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... that's what I meant. Do I move to the slow or fast ring, grab a new build and then pop back to release candidate? I take it from your comment that you are NOT a fan of the newer builds. As for the prox sensor, I am not sure. I checked the feedback hub and others were having the same issue, not clear that they were all on the Icon hardware-wise. That would be a bummer.

I have considered taking another phone (I still have another working Icon - just with a cracked screen) and moving it to a faster build to see how I liked it, but I use text a lot for business and don't want to end up with some texts on each phone when I need to scroll back and see what someone said. Wish there was a way to backup texts in the cloud. That would be a killer feature.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been on release preview builds and have really never had a major issue...I do notice between builds different battery drainage issues and my phone will get hot with some builds but other than that my icon is still rockin....if I have an issue with an app I delete the app and reinstall it and that seems to clear things up on the app end...never thought I would say this but the app gap everybody talks about is getting to me I can do most of what I want by using edge if the app isn't available but the gap is getting bigger and bigger and some apps I would like to use I can't do with edge. not enough yet for me to justfy dropping a lot of coin on a new phone just yet

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean about the app gap. I can usually get by with work-arounds, but more and more the functionality of other devices is being multiplied by smartphone apps that aren't available for windows phone. Cars, cameras, etc... I feel like I am falling behind on the app learning curve. Surface phone alone will not fix that, but hopefully it will start to build some momentum behind the platform. If it exists, that is. I'm still hanging in as long as I can...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean about the app gap. I can usually get by with work-arounds, but more and more the functionality of other devices is being multiplied by smartphone apps that aren't available for windows phone. Cars, cameras, etc... I feel like I am falling behind on the app learning curve. Surface phone alone will not fix that, but hopefully it will start to build some momentum behind the platform. If it exists, that is. I'm still hanging in as long as I can...

Don't use a phone for what it may or may not become, get a phone that meets your needs, not forcing your needs to fit the phone.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been on release preview builds and have really never had a major issue...I do notice between builds different battery drainage issues and my phone will get hot with some builds but other than that my icon is still rockin....if I have an issue with an app I delete the app and reinstall it and that seems to clear things up on the app end...never thought I would say this but the app gap everybody talks about is getting to me I can do most of what I want by using edge if the app isn't available but the gap is getting bigger and bigger and some apps I would like to use I can't do with edge. not enough yet for me to justfy dropping a lot of coin on a new phone just yet

I feel your pain...I went through this back in the Fall of 2015. Pretty much when it was confirmed Verizon wouldn't get or allow use of the 950xl on their system. Sad too because I ended up with a review copy of the 950xl but never could use it as a phone. My wife did for a while (she's on AT&T) and loved it. But the app gap is real. I went through the Note 5 to the Note 7 and after the Note 7 debacle, I settled on the Moto Z Force Droid. I use Arrow Launcher and make it as Microsoft Centric as I can (I use Cortana over Google Now) and yes, I miss the UX and Live Tiles but I had to go with a phone that met my needs. And the Camera is equal to the best that Lumia ever put out.

I fire up my ICON and 950xl to keep up with Insider Builds but it is no longer a daily driver.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
So I am back here asking if the new creator's update release candidates are stable enough on the Icon yet. I have been having real problems with Bluetooth on a production build 10393.726. It works for music okay but is undependable for voice, leaving me having to use speakerphone in the car - which is problematic.

I would like to upgrade if I know that this problem is fixed in the newer builds - and is stable on Icon.

My other wish would be a usable camera app. If I haven't restarted my phone in the last couple of hours, I am virtually assured of missing the shot and ending up with the dreaded "Something went wrong" message. On 8.1 this was a devastatingly good camera. Now I find myself carrying around a DSLR for the photos I need.

Is anyone on the slow or fast rings that can tell me good things? I am down to my last Icon and need this as a daily driver, so I can't take too many chances, and I am having a hard time finding any more icons online so I don't have a test phone atm.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually pretty optimistic about the latest fast ring build (15047) on my Icon, but in the interest of full disclosure, my Icon is no longer my daily driver (cough:android...sorry). With what testing I've done with it, however, everything seems to be working quite well. Well enough so I might actually take it out to play in the wild for a couple of days, and its been a few builds since I've even considered that. Haven't experienced any camera errors, Groove working fine, Edge working......well, like Edge (not my favorite browser, but fine). Bluetooth pairing seems good so far. In the 15047 insider thread, someone is having problems with their Icon on this build, so you might want to check that out. Mission critical daily driver without a net?? I don't know for sure that its there yet, but it might be worth a shot.

whoswhoo

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I am on the latest build and 80% of it is just fine. I however am also struggling with the proximity sensor not working. However, it will randomly starting working one day. But then the next build breaks it... SO after this next update I'm going to a factory reset again on this one. To see if that helps correct the issue.

Or maybe Verizon should allow the HP Elite so I can move on to that monster battery life phone!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
For what its worth I'm on the anniversary build non insider now and my icon works great, Bluetooth in car with voice I use to send text, email's, phone with no problem's. The only thing I do I check for updates every day and if there are any after downloading i power off my phone.other than that I never turn off 24/7

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I am on the latest build and 80% of it is just fine. I however am also struggling with the proximity sensor not working. However, it will randomly starting working one day. But then the next build breaks it... SO after this next update I'm going to a factory reset again on this one. To see if that helps correct the issue.

Or maybe Verizon should allow the HP Elite so I can move on to that monster battery life phone!

I'm on slow ring 14393.953 and it is draining my battery extremely fast. Last build was fine and worked well. Is there a way to roll back to a previous build?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Creators Update, and I am pretty sure that I can say I haven't had a single problem with the last several builds. I took my phone off of the fast ring right before the first RS3 build came out, so I can't say whether RS3 would come to it or not, other than having read the reports of course that Microsoft says it will not. I'm quite happy with Creators update on it.

I can only think of one thing that has bugged me. When searching with Cortana, it leans toward autocomplete options, rather than what you type if you're using the Swype style entry. For example, Swype the first word, and if the second word has an autocomplete suggestion, there are times that entering another swype word will do nothing, and you have to type letter by letter. There was another time that I swiped the second word, and it put in its own suggestion, even though it wasn't even close. This is the only thing that I've found to be bothersome so far.

Battery life is great, although I do have to say that a couple months ago I replaced the battery, since I've had my Icon since launch day. It was getting pretty bad, but replacing the battery, I've not had any problem getting through the day with CU.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm on Creators Update, and I am pretty sure that I can say I haven't had a single problem with the last several builds. I took my phone off of the fast ring right before the first RS3 build came out, so I can't say whether RS3 would come to it or not, other than having read the reports of course that Microsoft says it will not. I'm quite happy with Creators update on it.

I can only think of one thing that has bugged me. When searching with Cortana, it leans toward autocomplete options, rather than what you type if you're using the Swype style entry. For example, Swype the first word, and if the second word has an autocomplete suggestion, there are times that entering another swype word will do nothing, and you have to type letter by letter. There was another time that I swiped the second word, and it put in its own suggestion, even though it wasn't even close. This is the only thing that I've found to be bothersome so far.

Battery life is great, although I do have to say that a couple months ago I replaced the battery, since I've had my Icon since launch day. It was getting pretty bad, but replacing the battery, I've not had any problem getting through the day with CU.

Sadly, that will be the very last update for the ICON. :(

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
OK ... fast forward to today August 1, 2017 and my company is still using Verizon Lumia ICONS "until" something better comes along.

We are on 1607 14393.1480 "production" - NOT Insider - and everything has been working fine for many months now. I know that Microsoft "did NOT include" the ICON (Lumia 929) on Creators update ... or did they?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can get Creators Update on Icon if you go into the Insider builds. I'm on 15063.502 right now. I took my phone out of Insider (or, actually I'm still on insider, but only on "Just fixes, apps, and drivers" setting) after updating to Creators. It is my understanding that we can not get builds for whatever is next for Mobile, but I haven't actually tried it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs