Camera button & touch screen questions

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't often take photos with my phone, but when I do, I much prefer using a dedicated camera button than tapping the phone screen. I didn't see it mentioned in other reviews on this phone. Does the camera button have a two-step function - halfway to focus and full press to snap the picture? Or does it just have a single button press to shoot the picture?

I currently have a 950, but I have some battery issues and the phone gets pretty hot if used for about 5 to 10 minutes straight, so I'm interested in the Idol 4S. I've been using Lumia flagships since the 920 except for about a year where I used a 640 XL, With that phone, the biggest features I missed were Qi wireless charging and the dedicated camera button, so with this phone, it appears I'd mainly be missing the wireless charging.

One other feature that the Microsoft branded Lumias seem to be missing from the older Nokia models is super sensitive touch. I have some old leather driving gloves that never gave me issues when using Lumia 920, 820, or 830. The 640 XL and the 950, on the other hand, are completely unresponsive with gloves on. I don't understand why Microsoft would abandon that feature. Even with my thin running gloves that have touch-friendly finger pads, I have to turn my finger just right to get the 950 to respond. Does the Idol 4S work with gloves, or at least respond well with gloves made to work with touchscreens?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
No two-step. But I still*enjoy having a dedicated button. I'm okay with the camera, but you might feel a letdown coming from a L950.
The touch is a little sketchy with rubber gloves (but does work), but works great with cloth gloves. I don't have any leather gloves (not much need in Arizona) so I can't help you with that.
Other than that, I have to say that as to build quality, battery life and function, I've never owned a phone that performed better or that I liked better.
If you had told me a year ago that an Alcatel would be my favorite phone ever, I wouldn't have believed it. But it is.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Camera button & touch screen questions

Yes, It does have glove mode. I just didn't have leather gloves*to try. I have mechanic's gloves with nitrile and it does work, but you have to keep strong contact. It works great with cloth gloves and I suspect it works fine with leather gloves, but I have no way to test that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786