Lumia 640 (US T-Mobile RM-1073) Slow Wi-Fi Connection

Spidey1976

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
** Solved Itself?**

This is also cross-posted in the Microsoft Community Forums...

During the last few months my phone has been experiencing a minor problem. Sometimes when I turn off wi-fi the phone will switch itself into airplane mode for a second and then reboot itself.

I decided to do a full reformat of the device; therefore, I connected it to the Windows Device Recovery Tool and reinstalled the firmware completely.

Since then, the wi-fi download speeds are very slow. I've tried different networks and the same results are everywhere. I added a bunch of apps to reinstall last night (62 I believe) and by the time I woke in the morning, there were still 48 pending. *I have 30mbps cable internet running through an AC router* We have multiple devices and only my L640 was slow. I also tried at my mom's house (60 mbps on an AC router) and at work (15 mbps on a N router) with the same results. Some apps downloaded and installed quickly while others took 15 to 45 minutes each.

Today I reconnected to the WDRT and reformatted again, hoping that something just didn't write properly last time, but I've had the same results. It took nearly 5 hours to update 22 apps after reinstalling WP 8.1 (Lumia Denim).

Some other posts around the web said to disable cellular data and others said to disable location services. Neither of these has made any difference.

Has anyone else used the Windows Device Recovery Tool on their T-Mobile L640? I'm hoping that there may be a setting that will put this back in full service.

Last edited:

scottakoons

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
This may not be a solution if you have a genuine Wi-Fi issue, but with experimentation on recently restoring from fast, to 8.1 then to release ring, my apps stalled out overnight until I checked my Microsoft account in the settings menu. After I opened it (did not have to change anything), the downloads from the store resumed and finished in a matter of minutes. Can't explain it, but will check my account as a routine when upgrading from now on. Hope this helps.

Spidey1976

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I may have experienced the same. I re-flashed WP 8.1 with the WDRT again and it seemed a lot better. There are still a couple of games that take forever (even though they're only about 56mb), but most of the apps and games have re-downloaded at a decent pace. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb