Will I miss my 1520

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
So my 1520 finally broke down on me. Seemed like the 950 XL was the best replacement, it's in the mail, will arrive tomorrow. I can't help but feel like I will miss my 1520, I loved the 6" screen, I am one of those guys that would use a 7" phone if they made a good one as I am 6'11" , weigh about 350 lbs and I have very large hands and big pockets :) Anyway, does the .3" really make a difference in screen size, or will I not even really notice it? I also just loved my 1520, never had another phone I liked so much, I need some reassurance that the 950 XL will be just as good lol.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It does make a difference which is why I stuck with my 1520 for so long. But my 1520 is dying now too and the 950xl is the next best thing. It will be an adjustment to the smaller screen and overall size and weight but performance should help offset that. I will probably be getting one soon myself.

obrotund

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi brother. Same as you re shifting to 950 XL from 1520. My 1520 is the best phone I ever had and due to a 'special offer' from my techie son, I decided to get the 950 XL before they disappeared forever. 1520 is sitting snugly in a bottom drawer waiting for re-birthing. Love that phone.
However, relax, the 950 XL is super cool and is just like the 1520 only (of course) smaller. Love it. Really like Nokia/Microsoft/Windows phones and the 950 XL is a gem. Works Windows 10 smoother and updates regularly without any drama. And .... best camera on a phone ever.
Good luck
(Can still purchase 1520 online (new) if struggling with separation)

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi brother. Same as you re shifting to 950 XL from 1520. My 1520 is the best phone I ever had and due to a 'special offer' from my techie son, I decided to get the 950 XL before they disappeared forever. 1520 is sitting snugly in a bottom drawer waiting for re-birthing. Love that phone.
However, relax, the 950 XL is super cool and is just like the 1520 only (of course) smaller. Love it. Really like Nokia/Microsoft/Windows phones and the 950 XL is a gem. Works Windows 10 smoother and updates regularly without any drama. And .... best camera on a phone ever.
Good luck
(Can still purchase 1520 online (new) if struggling with separation)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will clarify, "technically" my 1520 still works but has become unreliable, I've had to replace the screen twice now, microphone and soft key lights stop working occasionally, so yes it will go in "the drawer" until it is called upon to serve back-up duty. I thought about buying a new 1520 but didn't want to spend more money on such an old phone :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
950XL was an acceptable replacement for me although I did not buy the 950XL because I wanted to replace the 1520; long story posted elsewhere.

Pluses for the 950XL: (1) if you don't need a protective case, you have lots of options for replacement backs, (2) real on-screen blacks due to OLED, (3) brighter screen (may be just due to Nokia having to dim the regular LED screen in the 1520 to get close to black), (4) MUCH faster charging, (5) owner replaceable battery if you keep the phone long enough to wear it out, (6) no trays which prevents SIM or SD card removal while in use and costly repairs from jams while changing SIMs or SD cards, (7) smaller physical size.

Pluses or minus depending on your preferences: (1) side button layout - I like the power between the volume buttons so I can take one finger screen shots, (2) on-screen navigation buttons instead of real buttons that waste real-estate, (3) higher screen resolution, (4) MS Hello if you can get it to work, (5) Continuum if you want it.

Minuses for the 950XL: (1) MUCH worse battery life, (2) smaller screen size, (3) possible OLED screen image burn-in.

I may have missed some.

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
950XL was an acceptable replacement for me although I did not buy the 950XL because I wanted to replace the 1520; long story posted elsewhere.

Pluses for the 950XL: (1) if you don't need a protective case, you have lots of options for replacement backs, (2) real on-screen blacks due to OLED, (3) brighter screen (may be just due to Nokia having to dim the regular LED screen in the 1520 to get close to black), (4) MUCH faster charging, (5) owner replaceable battery if you keep the phone long enough to wear it out, (6) no trays which prevents SIM or SD card removal while in use and costly repairs from jams while changing SIMs or SD cards, (7) smaller physical size.

Pluses or minus depending on your preferences: (1) side button layout - I like the power between the volume buttons so I can take one finger screen shots, (2) on-screen navigation buttons instead of real buttons that waste real-estate, (3) higher screen resolution, (4) MS Hello if you can get it to work, (5) Continuum if you want it.

Minuses for the 950XL: (1) MUCH worse battery life, (2) smaller screen size, (3) possible OLED screen image burn-in.

I may have missed some.

Thanks for the tips. So, I received the device today. Sadly I can report that yes, I am going to miss certain aspects of my1520. The 950 XL seems very snappy, screen is very impressive but also feels kind of cheap, I wish it had a little more weight to it. I am for sure going to need to add a case to it for some bulk, which is a bummer because I'd like to throw a Mozo back on it. I'll play with it some more today, maybe I'll change my tune a bit.

Sean Burcham

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm still rockin my 1520, but am kind of unsure if I should upgrade to the 950XL. Could you let me know how you like it after a week or so of day to day use? I would be pretty interested.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
So my 1520 finally broke down on me. Seemed like the 950 XL was the best replacement, it's in the mail, will arrive tomorrow. I can't help but feel like I will miss my 1520, I loved the 6" screen, I am one of those guys that would use a 7" phone if they made a good one as I am 6'11" , weigh about 350 lbs and I have very large hands and big pockets :) Anyway, does the .3" really make a difference in screen size, or will I not even really notice it? I also just loved my 1520, never had another phone I liked so much, I need some reassurance that the 950 XL will be just as good lol.

Sorry to hear about your device. I remember seeing 1520 in stores and i was like 'thats so big'. At the time i was comparing it to my Blackberry Q5 with a 3.1" inch screen which i bought only a couple days earlier to replace the 2.4" inch screen on my Blackberry 8520 haha. So to see a device with 6" inch screen was just unthinkable.

I think the 950 XL will be a nice replacement, i personally don't think the .3" inch will make a different. Sure it's noticeable if you place the devices next to each other but otherwise its not that big of a difference. There is a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus coming soon which is rumoured to have a 6.2" inch screen, (obviously running Android) which will be massive haha. So even though W10 is obviously better ;) it may be a good idea to at least try it out when it launches.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered 950XL Dual Sim today, to replace my broken Lumia 1520. I would prefer bigger screen, up to 6,5", but ... Well, hoping that I can live with a small 5,7" display - let's see ...

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Tbh the other option to replace your 1520 is the HP Elite X3. It's 5.96" IIRC, and is certainly almost as big as the 1520. But the price, well, that depends on you, really.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Tbh the other option to replace your 1520 is the HP Elite X3. It's 5.96" IIRC, and is certainly almost as big as the 1520. But the price, well, that depends on you, really.

I replaced the 950xl with the HP X3 and I really like it. The camera isn't quite as good but for my old eyes, it's good enough. I also got a 1520 for a good price and putting the two beside each other you can tell the 1520 is a bit larger. I think you will be happy with the 950xl or the HP X3. I would go with the X3 for more money because it has the latest hardware and should be valid for a couple of years longer than the 950xl.

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your device. I remember seeing 1520 in stores and i was like 'thats so big'. At the time i was comparing it to my Blackberry Q5 with a 3.1" inch screen which i bought only a couple days earlier to replace the 2.4" inch screen on my Blackberry 8520 haha. So to see a device with 6" inch screen was just unthinkable.

I think the 950 XL will be a nice replacement, i personally don't think the .3" inch will make a different. Sure it's noticeable if you place the devices next to each other but otherwise its not that big of a difference. There is a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus coming soon which is rumoured to have a 6.2" inch screen, (obviously running Android) which will be massive haha. So even though W10 is obviously better ;) it may be a good idea to at least try it out when it launches.

Appreciate the thoughtful response but no way am I gonna use an Android device ;) Also, how did you use those tiny phone screens lol, I can't even remember that last phone I had with under a 4" screen!

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I replaced the 950xl with the HP X3 and I really like it. The camera isn't quite as good but for my old eyes, it's good enough. I also got a 1520 for a good price and putting the two beside each other you can tell the 1520 is a bit larger. I think you will be happy with the 950xl or the HP X3. I would go with the X3 for more money because it has the latest hardware and should be valid for a couple of years longer than the 950xl.

Thanks for posting man. Ya, I looked at the x3, the price wasn't a big deal because I was going to put it on credit with no interest for 24 months. I just couldn't get over the camera though, no way was I going to pay that much money for a phone with a camera that might not even be better than the one on my 1520. While I don't take a ton of pictures, I want the ones I take to be very good. My wife is still rocking her Lumia 1020 because of the camera, there is just nothing comparable, sure it's a little slow but man, when it gets a good shot it looks amazing still.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for posting man. Ya, I looked at the x3, the price wasn't a big deal because I was going to put it on credit with no interest for 24 months. I just couldn't get over the camera though, no way was I going to pay that much money for a phone with a camera that might not even be better than the one on my 1520. While I don't take a ton of pictures, I want the ones I take to be very good. My wife is still rocking her Lumia 1020 because of the camera, there is just nothing comparable, sure it's a little slow but man, when it gets a good shot it looks amazing still.

Well, some people have their own priorities when looking for a device. If camera's your concern, then certainly the 950/XL are the ones for you. But if specs are your thing, and average camera doesn't concern you, then the X3 is the way to go.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Appreciate the thoughtful response but no way am I gonna use an Android device ;) Also, how did you use those tiny phone screens lol, I can't even remember that last phone I had with under a 4" screen!

Haha no problem, i thought you would reply is a similar fashion but i had to suggest Android anyway haha. We all know W10m is better. :D

Well to be honest, when i had the 2.4" inch screen, i never had anything bigger so it didn't feel small, and when i got the 3.1" inch screen it felt really big haha. Looking back now, it was always a struggle lol.

Currently have a 5.4" inch screen and it's amazing. (I'm 5" foot 10) so hands are a little smaller and anything bigger than that will feel like a tablet. Don't think i would be able to go back to a sub 4" inch phone. Feels tiny now.

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Originally posted by Sean Burcham
I'm still rockin my 1520, but am kind of unsure if I should upgrade to the 950XL. Could you let me know how you like it after a week or so of day to day use? I would be pretty interested.

Ok so I am almost five days in with my 950 XL here are my thoughts:

-It definitely "seems faster" than my 1520, no doubts about it.
-You only really notice the difference in screen size to the 1520 if compared side by side, otherwise the screen size is just fine.
-Still miss the "weight" of my 1520.
-Camera is good, don't know that I would call it "amazing" though as some others have.
-The 950 XL doesn't feel as good to hold as the 1520, using a case really improved this, but I hate using a case, especially on a phone where I can just swap out the housing if it gets dinged.
-Bluetooth connectivity with my car is alot more reliable with the 950 XL. Ever since I upgraded to Win10 on my 1520, Bluetooth connectivity had been very inconsistent, which is odd because I never had a problem on Win8.
-Can't use the 950 XL with gloves, really disappointing.
-Hate on screen soft keys, gimme hardware keys any day.
-Iris scanner is so inconsistent, I can't recommend it as a feature.
-Fast charge is cool, even though I had to buy all new accessories.

Overall I like my 950 XL but I don't love it, although I didn't expect to love it so it's on par with my thoughts going in. I would say it's a good replacement for the 1520 but only because there really isn't anything more comparable right now and the average camera on the x3 is a deal breaker for me. In conclusion, I'll miss my 1520.

Sean Burcham

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Ok so I am almost five days in with my 950 XL here are my thoughts:

-It definitely "seems faster" than my 1520, no doubts about it.
-You only really notice the difference in screen size to the 1520 if compared side by side, otherwise the screen size is just fine.
-Still miss the "weight" of my 1520.
-Camera is good, don't know that I would call it "amazing" though as some others have.
-The 950 XL doesn't feel as good to hold as the 1520, using a case really improved this, but I hate using a case, especially on a phone where I can just swap out the housing if it gets dinged.
-Bluetooth connectivity with my car is alot more reliable with the 950 XL. Ever since I upgraded to Win10 on my 1520, Bluetooth connectivity had been very inconsistent, which is odd because I never had a problem on Win8.
-Can't use the 950 XL with gloves, really disappointing.
-Hate on screen soft keys, gimme hardware keys any day.
-Iris scanner is so inconsistent, I can't recommend it as a feature.
-Fast charge is cool, even though I had to buy all new accessories.

Overall I like my 950 XL but I don't love it, although I didn't expect to love it so it's on par with my thoughts going in. I would say it's a good replacement for the 1520 but only because there really isn't anything more comparable right now and the average camera on the x3 is a deal breaker for me. In conclusion, I'll miss my 1520.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn't missing much and your post kind of solidified that. I'll be keeping my 1520 until it dies I guess, or until the next best thing comes around (if it ever does).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte