So.... I'm a dumbass

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my 950XL and it hit on the 1cm area not protected by my glass protector. I ordered a new front glass only with LOCA, no videos to be found on its removal though. Anyone? Advice? Help? Video? Someone in Austin that will do the repair?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
The whole LCD assembly is $180+ for a decent quality one. The phone is discontinued and can be bought new for ~$300. So again, see my original post. I can't be the only person with this phone to attempt this.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
And this is why myself, and others, grow tired of this forum. Do a google search. I'm not wanting this thread to turn into a variant version debate. Has. Anyone. Had. To. Replace. The. Glass. On. Their. 950. XL. Or. Knows. Where. A. Video. May. Be. Hidden. ?. There's nothing on YouTube but one in German for a 950. Not sure how it compares to the XL.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Where have You seen 950XL for $300?
I bought a new 950XL at the Microsoft Store for $284 around Christmas time. It was on sale for $299 but I got a 5% veteran's discount. I'm glad I bought it then. I figured it might be a closeout price that would last until they were gone but the price went back up a few days later.

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
And this is why myself, and others, grow tired of this forum. Do a google search. I'm not wanting this thread to turn into a variant version debate. Has. Anyone. Had. To. Replace. The. Glass. On. Their. 950. XL. Or. Knows. Where. A. Video. May. Be. Hidden. ?. There's nothing on YouTube but one in German for a 950. Not sure how it compares to the XL.

Well, you asked for advice, so I advised that I wouldn't try a glass replacement as it is incredibly difficult, so...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's near impossible to do successfully. I smashed the outer glass on my 950. Bought a replacement on eBay, bought the kit for removing the old glass and loca, bought replacement loca and a UV torch to cure it when replaced. Literally 5 mins into trying to remove the old glass and I'd shattered the LCD underneath too and I like to think I was very careful and confident to do it. Then I had the predicament you are in now or will be soon enough - Replace the whole LCD (which is much much easier) or replace the whole phone with a 2nd hand one as the price will be almost the same.

As for videos or guides, there isn't many. I was using the German one you mentioned and another for a 1020 on youtube and 'winging it'

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The digitizer is glued to the outer glass and it amazingly fragile. Due to the high failure rate and difficulty of removing and rebonding the digitizer much less it surviving the removal from the LCD the "Glass Only" repair is not viable.

Why do they sell it then? Because people are dishonest and your willing to buy.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I ordered a new front glass only with LOCA, no videos to be found on its removal though...

You've chosen the more difficult route. my only experience is with the lumia 640xl, and i'm actually pretty surprised at home similar the 2 phones are(950xl versus 640xl). I was in the same boat, in that i didn't want to spend a boatload of money on a new screen assembly for this rather low end phone. based on that experience, i would recommend replacing the whole assembly. since you already are getting just the screen, i suppose there's no harm in just diy'ing this, and if it doesn't work, send it to palco.

It took about an hour for the 640xl, but i did it, and the items i needed are an amazon order away. for the 640xl while you need the screen, you'll also need something to pry, a suction cub, and also the adhesive tape. also, you'll need the proper torx wrench as well(i don't know the size).

the biggest risk is that by not getting the screen to lay flat against the case, light will come in from the sides, and throw of the sensors, basically ruining glance screen.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Well well I was wrong, forgive me, if you pause at 1:57 on that video it looks like the digitizer is glued to the LCD making the glass only repair feasible. This is a definite departure from the usual when it comes to Lumia phones. A couple of things worry me about the video. First being the amount to loca he used, it's almost certain he got glue into the sensors on the chin. Second was shadows on the bottom half of the screen after the repair. Third he forced the wire. If you try this yourself use heat enough to ensure the wire slides through the glue smoothly without burning the polarizing filter.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I was trying to repair some digitizer like this (but was actually a Sony) after like 4 hours I ended with the LCD broken too, the problem is the whole piece is glued, the frame where is glued is also very hard to handle it.

As someone suggested, maybe if you take your device with the front glass they should charge you less.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
No one I called in Austin, TX will touch it. And I'm not mailing it off either. Absolute worst case I get an Elite X3. But I figure, looking at the video, a second set of hands would do wonders for getting the glue to stay warm. As for the amount of LOCA, I agree that he used a lot.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I cracked the screen on my 950 XL on Christmas day. The new phone now only costs half the price of when it was first launch. I called up the service center and asked about the repair cost. I was informed that the screen+display cost half the price of a new phone and I still need to pay for labor. I tried searching on eBay and the screen+display cost about the same as what the service center quoted.
Is it possible to just to change the front screen and use back the old display. Have anyone successfully separated the screen from the display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss