Is it still worth investing in a 950 xl?

Bradley57

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey,

This is my first post on the forums and I'm just asking for advice. Currently Using the Lumia 1320 and considering its dying a slow death now , I'm looking for a replacement and since the price of 950 XL is under £300 now my eyes are firmly fixed.

Im aware the handset's been out a while so , would people still recommend this handset or is it worth looking at alliterative devices.Really all I use my handset for is photographs , WhatsApp and emails other then that not much really.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ehh, I suppose you could do fine with a 950 XL with your usage.

Frankly I'd start looking at other devices like a Blackberry DTEK60 or OnePlus 3T but a 950 XL will probably be alright if the price is fine and you won't mind being abandoned again in maybe a year or two depending. W10M is a step down in speed and reliability compared to WP8 though. It's not as bad as it once was but it still may be noticeable.

But to be fair, I think you may be the perfect person to recommend a 950 XL to though.

rb2468

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
My wife has a 950 and I have a 950xl. We bought unlocked phones and went with ATT on a month to month plan. (I hate being locked in for 2 years) We started with 920s and had a couple other windows phone models through time. Our experience with these Windows Phones has been very positive and if we could go back in time and choose again, we would do the same. We make calls, texts, emails, take a lot of pictures, play games, check spread sheets, documents, project to big screen TV, and experiment with a variety of apps. Our household includes a Dell all-in-one, Dell Laptop, two Surface tablets, an xbox one and xbox one s. The new Microsoft leadership is extremely refreshing and we are ready to review the next version windows phones as soon as we can. My only problem with the 950xl has been that it turned on with a dim screen or the screen went dim while using. I found the problem to be caused by a less than perfect connection on the battery. Removing, cleaning and re-inserting the battery has solved this problem. After a few months this problem came back and was again solved with same procedure. I love the 950xl and recommend it to others. Get a glass screen protector and case cover for style. The camera is amazing. Enjoy

Gerritdelarey

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got myself a 950 and 950xl with docking station on an amazing deal in South Africa. What a machine the XL is. I used a 1020 before till I broke the screen, then used an Android for a while, and it is mickey mouse...the 950XL rocks, amazing screen, stunning pics, and for daily use the messaging, email, and web browsing is brilliant. If u want a ton of apps, use a notebook, and if u want to play games, get an Android and join God google, :(.
Windows phone ROCKS !!

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
While I like my 950xl I would not recommend buying it (or any Windows phone).

A. The 950xl is fragile VERY FRAGILE. Even in a otterbox style case and having a tempered glass screen protector on it I have managed to break the screen twice.

B. Windows mobile is dead and apps are dropping at an alarmingly fast rate. I've lost 4 apps since the beginning of the year. 4 apps that had been on the Windows platform for a long time that just stopped getting support and working period (one of those apps was a paid app too).

Microsoft has made it clear to software and hardware manufacturers that Windows mobile is done. Microsoft is not even building phone/UWP for their own products right now.

I'm using my 950xl until it breaks again and then moving on to Android.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It depends on your needs. I decided to get a Lumia 950XL and stop using Android. I don't care that much about apps and I also believe that if Microsoft succeeds in making UWP apps more attractive to developers, that Windows 10 Mobile will also benefit from it. The most important thing for me though is how the OS works. I really like to have a true companion to my Win10 Surface Book. I have apps for almost everything I need, and for the things there is no app, I have found workarounds (for the moment). Of course it is alarming to see people and companies dropping support for Windows Mobile, so I wouldn't blame anyone saying to go with iOS or Android. If you want to play it safe then go with iOS or Android. I decided to risk it a bit. I also like the Lumia camera a lot. I have an HTC 10 (that I am going to sell now), and I thought it made good pictures until I made the first photos with my Lumia. The difference was so big, I couldn't believe it..

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It depends on your needs. I decided to get a Lumia 950XL and stop using Android. I don't care that much about apps and I also believe that if Microsoft succeeds in making UWP apps more attractive to developers, that Windows 10 Mobile will also benefit from it. The most important thing for me though is how the OS works. I really like to have a true companion to my Win10 Surface Book. I have apps for almost everything I need, and for the things there is no app, I have found workarounds (for the moment). Of course it is alarming to see people and companies dropping support for Windows Mobile, so I wouldn't blame anyone saying to go with iOS or Android. If you want to play it safe then go with iOS or Android. I decided to risk it a bit. I also like the Lumia camera a lot. I have an HTC 10 (that I am going to sell now), and I thought it made good pictures until I made the first photos with my Lumia. The difference was so big, I couldn't believe it..

Good point about the Surface book. I have a W10 laptop and a Surface 3. I like having that collaboration between them.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
While I like my 950xl I would not recommend buying it (or any Windows phone).

A. The 950xl is fragile VERY FRAGILE. Even in a otterbox style case and having a tempered glass screen protector on it I have managed to break the screen twice.

B. Windows mobile is dead and apps are dropping at an alarmingly fast rate. I've lost 4 apps since the beginning of the year. 4 apps that had been on the Windows platform for a long time that just stopped getting support and working period (one of those apps was a paid app too).

Microsoft has made it clear to software and hardware manufacturers that Windows mobile is done. Microsoft is not even building phone/UWP for their own products right now.

I'm using my 950xl until it breaks again and then moving on to Android.

I'm in the same boat. I have had my 950XL since launch, love it. great phone.

However in the last few months i've noticed reliablity dip on the phone. I've been noticing long delays in new photos appearing in my gallery, i always have to force the photo and messaging app closed for them to show up so i can send an mms of whatever image i just took.

My keyboard space bar stops more frequently and i have to reboot the phone so i can send a text with spaces.

Sometimes my main side button to unlock the screen just doesn't work unless i press it 2 or 3 times.

Facebook app has been rubbish from the beginning. It's worse than it's ever been on WP10.

the features of WP10 are great, however WP8 was much better to use.

I think my WP time is up now, especially considering the support is dropping like mad for apps.
I've been loyal since the 920. Upgraded to 1020, then i had 2 x L930 and now my 950XL.

the only plus right now for me is windows integration. It just works and that is valuable to me.

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
However, it's a great device all around (not really, there are heating issues for me, it's a tad slow in comparison to my other phone). However, 1-2 years ago, it was an innovation and I loved the design and features it had.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
No. 640XL is better designed and one third the price. Get 640XL and wait to see if Surface Phone comes. If no Surface phone this year, get game changer iPhone 8.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I both have a Lumia 950 and we are very happy with them for the exellent camera (which seems to give better quality pictures than her sister's Samsung phone). Even low light photgraphs are pretty good all things considered. HDR is also a very nice feature. I use the dedicated camera button a lot, but my wife uses the on screen button. Whatsapp is fine, Outlook email is good but recently has an occasional bug which causes slowdown - closing and reopening the app fixes it. Since we are getting monthly windows updates, hopefully that will be patched out soon. I am happy with the OS support and MS apps are also regularly updated. MS Maps is really good for in car navigation, no data connection needed. Stick with the Microsoft Facebook app which comes pre-installed is my advice - the official Facebook app is much less smooth.

I would suggest you try holding a 950 XL in your hand if you can, as I found it a bit too large for comfortable one-handed use, which is why we picked the 950. I think for the price of 300 GBP/EUR you really are getting very good value for money. The MOZO covers make it look very nice too, although I picked an impact resistant one from Tech21 instead - look in the microsoft store.

One last thing - the wireless charging is very convenient and works well with our IKEA charging plate. We have 5 phones (950, 930) so wireless charging is really handy.

Last edited:

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, Welcome to WindowsCentral Bradley57! :D

Phone wise, it's solid and well built. OS Wise, its great to use and smooth. App wise, eh, could be better and there are a couple 'titles' missing. If you are able to pick the device up for a decent price then go for it. But also keep that door open for the possibility of Android or IOS.

A similar thing like this happened for Blackberry users when the 'Blackberry Passport" went on sale for $190. People were also asking if its worth it. I always say, if you love the company, and you love the OS, then get it. Even if you don't keep it long, its still nice to have as a 'memory' when you look back on all your previous devices. :)

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

This is my first post on the forums and I'm just asking for advice. Currently Using the Lumia 1320 and considering its dying a slow death now , I'm looking for a replacement and since the price of 950 XL is under £300 now my eyes are firmly fixed.

Im aware the handset's been out a while so , would people still recommend this handset or is it worth looking at alliterative devices.Really all I use my handset for is photographs , WhatsApp and emails other then that not much really.

I think it will be ok for you.

But I f you want a newer Windows Device maybe the Alcatel Idol 4S will suits you more for the timeproof test.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Welcome to the forums!

If you like Windows mobile then I would say it's a good choice, especially at the current price.

Good luck!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No. 640XL is better designed and one third the price. Get 640XL and wait to see if Surface Phone comes. If no Surface phone this year, get game changer iPhone 8.

It's a bit odd that you suggest buying a 640XL to save money, and follow that up with then buying an additional Surface or iPhone which will both be at least double the cost of a 950XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb