Will We Get Any Firmware Updates?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had it since launched and haven't seen any firmware updates coming through at all. Any word on any firmware updates? Hp put out a bunch for the elite x3 but so far nothing for the idol 4s

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Are there firmware level bugs? E.g. camera issues or calls dropping?

The OS can fix many things, firmware updates are for low level hardware related issues.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Are there firmware level bugs? E.g. camera issues or calls dropping?

The OS can fix many things, firmware updates are for low level hardware related issues.
I think the camera could benefit from firmware, assuming Alcatel has people that are capable of improving it. Other than that there aren't any issues that I'm aware of with the phone. It's the most trouble free phone I've ever owned. I don't expect any firmware updates.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any word on any firmware updates?

I think the camera could benefit from firmware, assuming Alcatel has people that are capable of improving it. Other than that there aren't any issues that I'm aware of with the phone. It's the most trouble free phone I've ever owned. I don't expect any firmware updates.

I wouldn't count on it... From what I can tell, Alcatel doesn't tweak camera, they just let the Qualcomm SoC handle it by default. This based on my use and Reg browsing of Idol 4S Windows and my use of an Android Idol 3... There were APIs in Android for more advanced camera function that they never hooked into for the Idol 3.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for opening a thread on this. I called Alcatel today, and had to battle the support rep who could not differentiate between warranty support and FW support for this device. He finally sent in a ticket and said I should get something back in 72hrs. I wanted to know how long Alcatel would or could if needed support the FW updates for this device. He kept telling 12 months after my purchase date...

I then also sent in an email inquiry with the same question to make sure the point I wanted answered went to them clearly.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had it since launched and haven't seen any firmware updates coming through at all. Any word on any firmware updates? Hp put out a bunch for the elite x3 but so far nothing for the idol 4s

Which could almost be a good thing...Meaning there are no real serious issues with the phone right out of the box.

I think it was over 3 months after release before the x3 got its first fw update, but I could be mistaken.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for opening a thread on this. I called Alcatel today, and had to battle the support rep who could not differentiate between warranty support and FW support for this device. He finally sent in a ticket and said I should get something back in 72hrs. I wanted to know how long Alcatel would or could if needed support the FW updates for this device. He kept telling 12 months after my purchase date...

I then also sent in an email inquiry with the same question to make sure the point I wanted answered went to them clearly.

I hope you do hear back, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I had a problem with the freebies they initially offered and they promised to get back to me within a specified period of time. I've never gotten a response even after following up. I'm afraid it's typical of customer service these days.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I hope you do hear back, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I had a problem with the freebies they initially offered and they promised to get back to me within a specified period of time. I've never gotten a response even after following up. I'm afraid it's typical of customer service these days.
I remember seeing your post about that.

viper1970

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
If thats the case, then they theoretically "could" improve the camera, but like you im not holding my breath. The Idol 4s has so much potential. If Alcatel could tweak the software to use the gyro's as a way to stabilize the camera just like the pixel phones, then this camera would be fantastic. I mean, anything to get it to perform better would be a bonus . But from the looks of it, Alcatel has washed their hands of the Idol 4s which is a shame.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If thats the case, then they theoretically "could" improve the camera, but like you im not holding my breath. The Idol 4s has so much potential. If Alcatel could tweak the software to use the gyro's as a way to stabilize the camera just like the pixel phones, then this camera would be fantastic. I mean, anything to get it to perform better would be a bonus . But from the looks of it, Alcatel has washed their hands of the Idol 4s which is a shame.

What makes you think Alcatel has walked away from the Idol 4s?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
That's what I'm wondering. I don't see any proof of this.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
It's all speculation people talk like they know when they don't nobody look he works for Alcatel to comment on their behalf.

Phones go on sale all the time this is the first or maybe second time that I've seen it on sale

Sent from Idol 4s

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm I willing to bet that being a flagship-like phone we see at least one good fw update for it. Did the fierce xl get any?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Just a side note. And this is typical...I noticed mine the unlocked one from Microsoft has a newer fw version then the T-Mobile model one located on the WDRT.

My verison is 1052.16.09031.50700

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm I willing to bet that being a flagship-like phone we see at least one good fw update for it. Did the fierce xl get any?
I think it's possible for the unlocked phone, but I'll be really (pleasantly) surprised if the T-Mobile version gets anything. If I had known for sure that there would be an unlocked version, I would have waited. I always prefer unlocked over carrier.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it likely someone will figure out a way to flash the T-Mobile version to make it an unbranded model, similar to what you can do with some carrier L640s?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
First we need an Image for "Open Market" on WDRT...

I think it will be broken down by region. So if you have one like mine it will be a NA (N. America) ROM. The open market is a place holder I think, but I could be wrong. The T-Mobile file is just one whole FFU like the X3 is. So maybe they will have multiple options (IDOL 4s pictures) if more than one region opens up over time. If that is the case the WDRT tool may get updated before we see the ROM for a non-T-mobile unit show up.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be broken down by region. So if you have one like mine it will be a NA (N. America) ROM. The open market is a place holder I think, but I could be wrong. The T-Mobile file is just one whole FFU like the X3 is. So maybe they will have multiple options (IDOL 4s pictures) if more than one region opens up over time. If that is the case the WDRT tool may get updated before we see the ROM for a non-T-mobile unit show up.
And doesn't it also take some hacking to get a branded phone to accept another ROM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb