Bad review of our phone

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
These reviews are often inaccurate noting how the reviewer doesn't actually live with a device long enough to give it a chance.

Thanks for the link!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My guess is he got a bad apple (no pun intended) AND he doesn't know squat about Windows phones. Dim screen? Bad battery life? A cheaper Continuum alternative?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya a lot of that could be subjective especially not knowing what they don't know. Last I checked the X3 was capable of over 450 nits. It maxes out over 550. Typical is around 350. All of their tests might just be from high level, and are not extensive or deeper.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting choice of words since from what I've read he's an Apple enthusiast.

Seriously, there was no subliminal cheap shot intended. I was referring to the bad apple spoiling the bunch saying. It's not my fault that Jobs named his company after something so easily mocked.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was a decent enough review. It seems to cover all the bases. And whilst I have not yet had the pleasure of using, or seeing, the Alcatel Windows phone, every review of any Windows phone is bound to revert to how bad the OS is on the whole, namely the app gap. No matter how great the phone is, any review will always focus on that, and people will try their hardest to find faults in either the Windows device or OS. It's a shame the same attention to detail, or lack thereof, is not used for iOS or Android as much. Face it, everyone loves to hate on Windows phone. It's a fact of life. Embrace it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was a decent enough review. It seems to cover all the bases. And whilst I have not yet had the pleasure of using, or seeing, the Alcatel Windows phone, every review of any Windows phone is bound to revert to how bad the OS is on the whole, namely the app gap. No matter how great the phone is, any review will always focus on that, and people will try their hardest to find faults in either the Windows device or OS. It's a shame the same attention to detail, or lack thereof, is not used for iOS or Android as much. Face it, everyone loves to hate on Windows phone. It's a fact of life. Embrace it.

Except the reviewer didn't harp on the OS. The Idol has been universally applauded by actual users for having excellent battery life and a bright display. As has been mentioned above by owners of this fine device, the review unit this guy had must have been defective.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My guess is he got a bad apple (no pun intended) AND he doesn't know squat about Windows phones. Dim screen? Bad battery life? A cheaper Continuum alternative?
I'm guessing they accidentally left out the word "don't" where it says under verdict: "get ... an inexpensive model if you [don't] want Continuum." That would make more sense and fit exactly with the review.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they accidentally left out the word "don't" where it says under verdict: "get ... an inexpensive model if you [don't] want Continuum." That would make more sense and fit exactly with the review.

Unless someone corrects me, the Idol IS the least expensive Continuum-capable phone available.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree. This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the battery life is bad on this phone. If this is bad, then I wonder what the 950 is. Terrible?

Unless someone corrects me, the Idol IS the least expensive Continuum-capable phone available.
As of yesterday, you are correct. It's cheaper than a new 950 now, which is kind of laughable but interesting.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I like the way reviews are done on the MONA websites.

Here most of the time the editorial staff will qualify how the review was done i.e; with OS version, how long the device was used on which network in what location etc.
This offers much more credibility in my opinion.
One of the reasons a lot of folks were big time followers of Lisa Gade early on.

I think a small bit of background from the reviewer is important for readers.
When a reviewer jumps over things in a less than detailed way readers will do the same regarding the opinions if wanting realtime and solid device info.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the way reviews are done on the MONA websites.

Here most of the time the editorial staff will qualify how the review was done i.e; with OS version, how long the device was used on which network in what location etc.
This offers much more credibility in my opinion.
One of the reasons a lot of folks were big time followers of Lisa Gade early on.

When a reviewer jumps over things in a less than detailed way readers will do the same regarding the opinions if wanting realtime and solid device info.

Oh wow, Lisa Gade. I remember her from Mobile Tech Review.

It also helps to have a working knowledge of the OS to render a proper review. This is why I've always preferred reading Eric Zeman from Phone Scoop.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I like that you stated this. I totally agree.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like he got a piece of crap for a phone. Hey, it happens. But when you have an ecosystem as anemic as ours, any defect is seen like an indictment of the entire ecosystem. Its part of the burden of being treated as some hobby than a serious product. Some of this falls on our CEO who seems to have decided to sit this one out until 2018.

Not saying he doesn't have good reason to, just saying this with so many fits and starts, this is where we find ourselves today. What I would be keenly interested in is a review or reviews from those that are all about this ecosystem and not straddling in more than one. Philip Michals not to be confused with George Michaels just seemed like just another immature android complainer. The guy who drew the short straw and had no choice in doing the a Windows Phone review and really didn't want to. Much of his "whine" list appear to be software fixes anyway. So I can't take Philip Michaels at this word as he seems less than forthright in his review.

Having said all that, we do have problems on multiple fronts but quality control should not be one of them. If Microsoft is taking a hands off position when companies like Alcatel builds in their name, it tells me this is just a hobby and we need to recognize our legacy as it is being written. If MS intends to deliver a new standard for smart phone as in the mythical Surface phone, something I have never heard them admit to developing, gather your friends around for comfort because this kinds of reviews will pretty much write themselves.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Except the reviewer didn't harp on the OS. The Idol has been universally applauded by actual users for having excellent battery life and a bright display. As has been mentioned above by owners of this fine device, the review unit this guy had must have been defective.

Sadly, as much as I want to see this phone, it will never arrive where I am. I was lucky enough to just get a 950XL.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree. This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the battery life is bad on this phone. If this is bad, then I wonder what the 950 is. Terrible?
I've seen drastic swings in battery life in all 6 Windows phones in our family with no apparent differences in usage. Maybe they were testing the 4S on a bad day. I suspect some innocuous event sometimes triggers some background activity in an app or more likely Windows itself. Its why you see some people posting how some new release really improved battery life while others say it killed theirs. The new release (or reset, etc) just started the clock ticking again on whatever triggers the battery drain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12