Is it worth upgrading from 950?

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My 950 has good camera, NFC but really dislike the slow performance and bugs. I know 4s doesn't have NFC, so that's a sacrifice. But I hope everything else is a major improvement. Does any of you have 4s and 950? Can you compare the improvements between the 2 devices? The new price point is very attractive.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a 950 but I can tell you that the performance of the Idol 4s is superb. You would also gain storage, ram, fantastic speakers and excellent build quality, to name a few. You would lose NFC, Glance and would have a lesser camera. I guess what it comes down to is which aspects you find most important in your phone. I put build quality and performance at the top of my list and this phone delivers on both counts.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
You're going to run into the same problems with the Idol 4s. The issue isn't your hardware, Windows 10 Mobile is a mess.

The only bugs I run into are Facebook and language prediction in the keyboard (both of which are software issues). Other than that, the Idol 4s performs flawlessly for me. It doesn't have performance issues. You certainly won't find the kind of complaints here that you will find in the L950 forum (not saying it's a bad phone, just that it appears to have issues that the Idol doesn't have). I'm not saying your device doesn't have performance issues but, if it does, it's not typical.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
upgrade from 950 to Idol 4s ,no no, don't do such. only thing that would be better is feel of phone in hand.

I think you're dismissing battery life improvements, speakers, and improved performance. To me, battery life and improved performance are worthy things to consider upgrading for.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
before you trash your 950, you might want to try reinstalling the OS via WDRT, I've read many others who have had improved experiences with the device.

The biggest tradeoff I guess will be camera quality but everything else, the idol 4S looks like the clear winner.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
before you trash your 950, you might want to try reinstalling the OS via WDRT, I've read many others who have had improved experiences with the device.

The biggest tradeoff I guess will be camera quality but everything else, the idol 4S looks like the clear winner.

I can support this claim. Am a 950 user myself, and did this, and phone was miles better afterwards... for a short time. After frequent updates via the Fast Ring, the phone is a bit buggy now. Not as terrible as it was pre-WDRT, but it's still annoying i.e. camera bugs. Hardly any reboots though so it's still alright.

I might consider doing a WDRT on my phone once the proper CU (Creator's Update) is released to the public.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
slow performance wise, I think you would notice quite a difference from 950 to idol 4s... I notice it from my 950xl to X3 but it wasn't enough to really drive me yet. But from 950, it should be more and definitely don't forget the battery...

It's nice to be out and about all day, using the phone often and not worry about battery. I can't speak from personal experience, but reading other comments, it's a win.

I find the complaints about 950 interesting as my wife uses one. And seems quite happy with it. She's not into the app except for say whatsapp and instagram... other than that it's about time wasting games for her. She does complain about battery but acknowledges she can be on the screen a lot playing games. Otherwise it seems to work reliably for what she needs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's nice to be out and about all day, using the phone often and not worry about battery. I can't speak from personal experience, but reading other comments, it's a win.

I find the complaints about 950 interesting as my wife uses one. And seems quite happy with it. She's not into the app except for say whatsapp and instagram... other than that it's about time wasting games for her. She does complain about battery but acknowledges she can be on the screen a lot playing games. Otherwise it seems to work reliably for what she needs.

I don't dislike my 950 at all but even as a somewhat light user, the battery life barely makes a day. Otherwise, I am generally pleased with it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't dislike my 950 at all but even as a somewhat light user, the battery life barely makes a day. Otherwise, I am generally pleased with it.

I would end up putting mine on the charger at least 3 times a day. But i am awake a lot of the day and use my mobile device almost that entire time or in between. It would never drain to zero but at around 50% or so I would throw it on a charger for as much time as I could so that it would never get too low. That is the main reason I liked the X3. Aside from the print sensor to unlock, it would go almost two full days without charging on my use.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would end up putting mine on the charger at least 3 times a day. But i am awake a lot of the day and use my mobile device almost that entire time or in between. It would never drain to zero but at around 50% or so I would throw it on a charger for as much time as I could so that it would never get too low. That is the main reason I liked the X3. Aside from the print sensor to unlock, it would go almost two full days without charging on my use.

That sounds really annoying to have it on the charger that much, but I can understand. What you do with putting it on the charger around 50% is what I do with 34-39%. I do that with all of my phones too.

Wow the x3 sounds like it was a true champ! That's impressive. My other phones don't have epic battery life like the x3 does but I usually get more than a day. A day and some (3-4 hours, sometimes 6 hours) is good for me, since daily charging is annoying to me.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
The 4S has never once frozen or rebooted in a month's time. The 950 would a few times each day. Granted, this was back a ways in one of the many half-baked iterations of W10M.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I've played with 4s at Microsoft store for about half and hour. Decided to stick with my Lumia 950. Mainly due to the size and camera. The pictures I take on my phone wows my frieda every time ay parties. This includes iPhone 7 Samsung note 5 and OnePlus. Nothing comes close to mine. I dont have any reboot and freezing issues on mine except fpr a couple of times over the last 2 months. I can live with that. So Lumia for me all the way.

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've played with 4s at Microsoft store for about half and hour. Decided to stick with my Lumia 950. Mainly due to the size and camera. The pictures I take on my phone wows my frieda every time ay parties. This includes iPhone 7 Samsung note 5 and OnePlus. Nothing comes close to mine. I dont have any reboot and freezing issues on mine except fpr a couple of times over the last 2 months. I can live with that. So Lumia for me all the way.

Sent from mTalk

The 950 has a very nice camera, no doubt. I decided to go with the 4s for better battery life and overall performance. Have had no reboot or freezing issues.
Either phone is a gem.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the 4s this weekend. I really like the hardware build that feels premium in your hand. I am amazed how much difference it is compared with 950. Metal band and glass back does make a big impact. Speakers are amazingly loud and crisp. My wife even refused to give it back to me - she is a IPhone 6s+ user.

Screen colors are more vibrant than 950. Colors actually pop. Screen is crisp and really nice at 5.5 - I never expected to like that.

I am still testing out the battery. Haven't notice much improvement over 950 yet.

App speed is okay and it may be due to developer not doing a good job optimizing for W10M.

Some compromises in the camera dept but I am impressed with its panorama though. Colors are actually more life like vs Lumia signature yellow-tint.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I have never used the Idol 4S but I own the BlackBerry DTEK60 which is built on the same reference design and used a Lumia 950XL up to that point. These day's I'm using the DTEK60 -- based on the same design -- and an HP Elite x3 on the WP side.

I would personally stick with the 950. The Idol 4S is undoubtedly the sexier phone, but the tradeoffs will be the screen resolution and the fact you probably won't be first to get updates with a carrier-locked Idol.

OTOH, with this being a T-Mobile certified device, you will pick up Voice Over LTE and Band 12 coverage (Extended Range LTE). Visual VM should also work without incident (I know it was wonky on unlocked 950s at some times).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans