Is the 1520 the best Windows Phone of all time?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's the best phone on W8.1. Absolutely.
On W10, it shows it's age but even then, it won't get easily bullied by the 950/XL. It is an beast. I cant compare it to any non-Lumia phone cos I have not seen any of those being sold or in the wild in my region.

.... !!

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Though I have yet to actually own one, the Lumia 1520 and 950 XL are both of high interest to me. The larger screen estate on the 1520 has me looking at it more, so maybe I might get one later? Who knows! :cool: I'd ideally go for Ferrari Red or Dodge Challenger Green.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Ooh.. Ferrari Red is a bit flash and slippery. I prefer the matt Lemon Yellow, feels great without getting greasy fingerprints at the back.. I used both before, naked, without casings...

.... !!

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Simple question - for 1520 owners, past owners, or just Windows Phone users... is the 1520 the BEST Windows Phone of all time? Sound off!! :)

As someone who doesnt like big phones, No. I like 720 and 730 though(same design language). I wish a 4.7in screen flagship with similar looks.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
was going to go for the 950XL but it has very average build quality, so decided to look at the 1520 and bought it immediately, gorgeous design and build quality, especially compared to the 950XL, I've had the 1520 a week or 2 now on W 10 and am loving it, battery life is great, been 57 hours since last charge and still on 22%, very stable, just loving it, had an iPhone 7 for a few months but wanted something different and am really enjoying it. Is it the best ever, not sure its still new but it looks promising.

chris6mafia

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I also have been using a 1520 for a few weeks (coming from an iPhone 7) on windows 10 and love it! The only issue I have is when i use GPS and Bluetooth, it freezes the phone. A Work around is to not have my device connected to my car's Bluetooth while using GPS.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely loved my 1520, it was probably my favorite phone of all time. However, I still would argue that the Lumia 920 was the best Windows Phone of all time.

The 920 was announced in tandem with the release of Windows Phone 8. Nokia packed a ton of new features to go with the advanced new OS, and when the 920 came out, it was for that brief moment, not just the best Windows Phone, but the best smartphone in the market. Nokia may not have invented anything that hadn't been done in another smartphone, but at the time, there wasn't a single other smartphone available that had every feature that was new and innovative. NFC, Qi wireless charging, the backlit OIS camera that was the best smartphone camera on the market for quite a while. Until Nokia released the beastly 1020, every tech website and blog smartphone review included pictures that were compared against photos shot on a Lumia 920.

The 920 technical specs, screen size and quality, processor, RAM, storage were all comparable to high end phones of it's time, as opposed to when WP7 phones were always one full generation behind Android. The bright, colorful polycarbonate unibody made the phone stand out from other phones in the market. The Lumia 920 ultimately put Windows Phone 8 into a position where it was as close to mainstream as Windows Phone was ever going to get.

Paul Foulkes

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Had my 1520 ( mine is red and gorgeous ) since March 2014. Happily running W10M. Still can't find any decent replacement. I might just keep it forever. Battery life is still really good, I love the wireless charging. Masses of storage. What is not to like? Has been paid off for almost a year so I pay £18/month for all calls, texts and 5gb of data, same cost all over Europe, so I just can't see the point in changing.
Definitely the best phone ever

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely loved my 1520, it was probably my favorite phone of all time. However, I still would argue that the Lumia 920 was the best Windows Phone of all time.

The 920 was announced in tandem with the release of Windows Phone 8. Nokia packed a ton of new features to go with the advanced new OS, and when the 920 came out, it was for that brief moment, not just the best Windows Phone, but the best smartphone in the market. Nokia may not have invented anything that hadn't been done in another smartphone, but at the time, there wasn't a single other smartphone available that had every feature that was new and innovative. NFC, Qi wireless charging, the backlit OIS camera that was the best smartphone camera on the market for quite a while. Until Nokia released the beastly 1020, every tech website and blog smartphone review included pictures that were compared against photos shot on a Lumia 920.

The 920 technical specs, screen size and quality, processor, RAM, storage were all comparable to high end phones of it's time, as opposed to when WP7 phones were always one full generation behind Android. The bright, colorful polycarbonate unibody made the phone stand out from other phones in the market. The Lumia 920 ultimately put Windows Phone 8 into a position where it was as close to mainstream as Windows Phone was ever going to get.

My first WP was a 920, absolutely loved it as it kept pace with ever evolving OS and firmware... Cyan, 8.1, denim, and finally entering its autumnal period in W10..
.. I still think it's unbeatable by any phone out there when it comes to handheld very low light macro shots...
.. if there is ever a phone meant to stop bullets, this is it. ..

.... !!

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

The 920 was announced in tandem with the release of Windows Phone 8. Nokia packed a ton of new features to go with the advanced new OS, and when the 920 came out, it was for that brief moment, not just the best Windows Phone, but the best smartphone in the market.

So true. Although I'd still take the 1520 over the 920, the Lumia 920 was my "lost love" - LOL. Everything you mention is spot on.

When the Lumia 920 was announced in conjunction with Windows Phone 8, it grabbed headlines across the internet, it caught my attention, introducing me to the world of Windows Phone, and it was love at first sight.

I was still a flip phone user, reluctant to move on to a smart phone. I'd say to everybody, "I don't need a hand computer", I loved my flip phone (Samsung SPH-A900, aka 'the blade'). When I first saw the unveiling of the Lumia 920, I was instantly sold. The 920 convinced me to finally catch up with the world and get a smart phone.

The beautiful design, the world changing camera which was light years ahead of iPhone and Android at the time, the super sensitive touch 720p HD display when the iPhone was well below that, wireless charging, etc. Windows Phone 8 was so refreshing with its UI, and the integrated social media was a "killer app" among the other cool features of the OS.

Then the world came crashing down for me - carrier exclusivity. As much as I desperately wanted a Lumia 920, it was exclusive to Rogers (our 'evil' equivalent to Comcast) here in Canada, and I would not switch carriers for a phone. There were rumours of a six month exclusivity deal, but nothing ever changed. Then the Lumia 925 was released, but not in Canada. I emailed Mr. Elop out of desperation - please take my money, please let me purchase a Lumia 925 directly from Nokia. Someone at Nokia was asked by Mr. Elop's email response to assist me, only for the helper to offer help in the form of "you can get a 920 from Rogers".

I was so hyped up about the Lumia 920, that all my obsessing about it led my brother to spontaneously go out and buy one (he was on Rogers), tossing his iPhone 4s aside and sticking with Windows Phone to this day (he's now on a Lumia 650 after his 920's battery stopped holding a charge).

Had to settle for a Samsung ATIV S ($0 on 2 year contract, so not bad), before getting the 1520 off Kijiji when that 2-year contract expired.

Sorry for the essay - just that the Lumia 920 brings up a lot of memories, and being another one of those "what could have been" moments in the history of Windows Phone if it weren't for carrier exclusivity holding back sales and exposure to the devices.

Honestly, had I been able to get a Lumia 920 at launch, I'd likely still be using it - assuming that the battery was still working.

Greatest of all time: the Lumia 1520 and 920 can stand together on the podium. :)

The Lumia 920 established the framework and the essence of what a Lumia was. The 1520 was the fitting "swan song", the last true Nokia Lumia, at the core building upon the features introduced with the 920.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
For me I think it is. I know some people might say the Lumia 1020 too, since it has the killer camera, but I never really got into it because of the slightly date processor, which dampens the camera experience a little. The Lumia 1520 has a more complete package to me. Gorgeous screen, nice speaker, great camera and mics, fast performance, support for SD card, and great battery life. It's a pretty complete hardware package if you ask me, with a design that still holds up today.

But the thing that has kept me from using a windows phone full time is of course apps, and in particular google services.

Not forgetting the Lumia 920 as mentioned by RJ Priest. It was a truly groundbreaking phone for its time with its technology, and the design is still reminiscent of the Lumia 800, which was my very first windows phone, and a phone that i still think is one of the best looking smartphones today.

Anyway, this thread inspired me to go out and make a video about the Lumia 1520. It's been fun trying to use the phone again in 2017 to see how it holds up. :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For me I think it is. I know some people might say the Lumia 1020 too, since it has the killer camera, but I never really got into it because of the slightly date processor, which dampens the camera experience a little. The Lumia 1520 has a more complete package to me. Gorgeous screen, nice speaker, great camera and mics, fast performance, support for SD card, and great battery life. It's a pretty complete hardware package if you ask me, with a design that still holds up today.

But the thing that has kept me from using a windows phone full time is of course apps, and in particular google services.

Not forgetting the Lumia 920 as mentioned by RJ Priest. It was a truly groundbreaking phone for its time with its technology, and the design is still reminiscent of the Lumia 800, which was my very first windows phone, and a phone that i still think is one of the best looking smartphones today.

Anyway, this thread inspired me to go out and make a video about the Lumia 1520. It's been fun trying to use the phone again in 2017 to see how it holds up. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SLhG32lRmo

Great Video. Watching it brought a few tears regarding the RM-938 I once owned. I now have the HP X3 and really love it. if I were to buy a backup WP, it would be the newest 1520 model I could get. Again, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos