Idol 4S Windows 10 model now available on Amazon carrier unlocked

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Priced at $449.99 a little cheaper than the MS store... (The 20 bucks was worth it to have it 1 month sooner for me :smile: )
But its good to have another option for people to buy

See the link
Amazon

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
please be aware if you load the windows insider onto these devices there is still no open market recovery image on the recovery tool, so you will be stuck on insider builds with no way to get back to the original system image. You can use the tmobile image but it will leave you with a branded tmobile device and the firmware is older.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
please be aware if you load the windows insider onto these devices there is still no open market recovery image on the recovery tool, so you will be stuck on insider builds with no way to get back to the original system image. You can use the tmobile image but it will leave you with a branded tmobile device and the firmware is older.

So you can confirm that cross flashing is not disallowed by WDRT?

Because myself and a few others may want to go the other way... T-Mo to Open Market.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Correct for flashing the unlocked model. Next trial is when the Open Market rom comes... Before I returned my device to Microsoft, I tested flashing the T-Mobile rom and it flashed with no issues. Unfortunately I had to return it like that but the Microsoft Rep seemed to not even care. Never turned the device on or looked at it. Just processed the refund. Same unlocked hw just with a T-Mobile rom instead, I guess they will figure it out when it goes back to the stock room...

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So you can confirm that cross flashing is not disallowed by WDRT?

Because myself and a few others may want to go the other way... T-Mo to Open Market.

I don't know if it would work going from the tmobile locked version to the open market one when it arrives, but give it a try and let us know.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Correct for flashing the unlocked model. Next trial is when the Open Market rom comes... Before I returned my device to Microsoft, I tested flashing the T-Mobile rom and it flashed with no issues. Unfortunately I had to return it like that but the Microsoft Rep seemed to not even care. Never turned the device on or looked at it. Just processed the refund. Same unlocked hw just with a T-Mobile rom instead, I guess they will figure it out when it goes back to the stock room...

They will probably flash the right ROM before it's resold. The store close to me seems very good at correcting some of my boo boos.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
forgot the quote...
I don't know if it would work going from the tmobile locked version to the open market one when it arrives, but give it a try and let us know.
This device flashes a little different than most other devices. Most of us are use to the Lumia boot loader style flashing where it resets the device to AppFlash mode. The Idol4s has to be rebooted to the sprocket/lightning bolt screen then flashed using WDRT. The PlatformID for the T-Mobile and the unlocked model based on my findings are also identical. It is matter of waiting for the FFU to appear in the tool and then see.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, you saying that has me wondering. If we are able to "debrand", would it mess up my Tmo SMS/MMS (and WiFi calling) since they are my carrier. I've always been able to get unlocked phones to play nice with Tmo but this would be new territory.

I'm 1000% positive you would loose T-Mo WiFi calling and VoLTE.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There is no reason to debrand in the US if you are using a branded phone on that provider, unless you really want something the unbranded FW/SW offers.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
There is no reason to debrand in the US if you are using a branded phone on that provider, unless you really want something the unbranded FW/SW offers.

I was thinking from the standpoint if, in the unlikely event, Alcatel does a firmware update it's nice to have a non-carrier phone because you know you will get it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking from the standpoint if, in the unlikely event, Alcatel does a firmware update it's nice to have a non-carrier phone because you know you will get it.
This will be the interesting part. I was able to flash the T-Mobile FW with no issues too. If the open market NA (North America) FW flashes on the T-Mobile model without issues, then you could try it and then roll back if needed.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm 1000% positive you would loose T-Mo WiFi calling and VoLTE.

Pretty sure the Wifi Calling will not work. But I thought Unlocked phones on T-Mobile worked with their VoLTE services right out of the box...part of being the "uncarrier" network.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Had it in my cart half a dozen times, i have a bunch of Amazon credit this month from work travel and am seriously considering getting it... I'm waiting out MWC this weekend in the event a Surface Phone gets announced but I can't imagine that would not have leaked in some capacity by now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Had it in my cart half a dozen times, i have a bunch of Amazon credit this month from work travel and am seriously considering getting it... I'm waiting out MWC this weekend in the event a Surface Phone gets announced but I can't imagine that would not have leaked in some capacity by now.

The new common wisdom is Surface Mobile Device in 2018...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb