Insider update always stalls out while downloading

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 4S yesterday to replace a 950XL I'm giving to my mom. I turned on Insider Preview, and set it to Slow. Since then, I've been trying to download 14965.1001, except that it never finishes downloading. It'll stall at some random point (50-80%) and then just sit there forever. Sometimes it'll start up again, and go a little bit, and then stall out again.

It's only been two days, and maybe it'll finally finish downloading itself, but I've never had this problem with any of the other Windows phones I had on the Insider program. They would all just download the update over a variable amount of time, but tens of minutes, not overnight.

Any ideas?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had that on my L640 also. I think I turned off wifi/data for a few minutes, then back on and I forced it through. Had to do that a couple of times also.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to get it to download for the last two days, turning on and off the data. So far, I'm up to 81%. :-( When it's trying to update, it gets excessively hot.

I do wonder if I just have a bad phone. With the current OS, it's been a mess with sometimes bad touch issues (swipes being taps) and the "turning on the speaker when you move it away from your face" works so unreliably I had to turn it off. Not a happy camper so far, but I keep hoping if I can get the update installed, my problems will go away.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it might be a Slow Ring issue with this particular build. The exact same thing happens to me; however, I can download the Release Preview and the Fast Ring with no problem.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You sir, are exactly right. I figured this out eventually on my own, but boy, I wish I'd seen this comment earlier. I spent a LOT of time and aggravation before I tumbled on the fact that the Slow release wouldn't work.

Now that I've downloaded the Fast release, the phone seems to be working a lot better. I am cautiously optimistic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos