Windows Hello Issue

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Howdy - Is anyone else running into an error with the Idol 4s phone saying 'Windows Hello isn't available on this device' when trying to setup the fingerprint sensor?

I briefly saw this error on my first unit, which I exchanged due to an SD card dismount issue. However, it then changed status after a few seconds and I was able to register my fingerprints.

Fast forward a week or so and I'm just now trying to setup Windows Hello in the same manner on the new unit and it doesn't appear to be recognizing the fingerprint sensor. I really don't wanna have to return this phone again, so I'm hoping there's an easy solution here.

wp_ss_20170303_0001.jpg

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have not witnessed that yet. When you say "same manner" does that mean right out of the box, after a hard reset, after a WDRT reset, or...?

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I have not witnessed that yet. When you say "same manner" does that mean right out of the box, after a hard reset, after a WDRT reset, or...?

This was trying to set it up after the latest W10 Mobile build was installed. Not sure whether I setup Windows Hello on my first unit before or after the latest build was installed. But it definitely worked afterwards.

On this unit however, I'm just getting around to setting up Windows Hello as I was focused on my SD card issue for a week or so. And it's simply not allowing me to set it up the same way, as I'm assuming the fingerprint sensor is not being detected. I did just try to switch to the latest release preview build (10.0.14393.726) as part of Windows insider to see if that would fix it. That did not help.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Out of the box. I also used it on my first unit after it had updated to the current W10M build with no issues.

On this unit however, I'm just getting around to setting up Windows Hello as I was focused on my SD card issue for a week or so. And it's simply not allowing me to set it up the same way, as I'm assuming the fingerprint sensor is not being detected. I did just try to switch to the latest release preview build as part of Windows insider to see if that would fix it. That did not help.
Now that I think of it, I had a similar experience on my last unlocked model. I returned that one, but only because I got the same model cheaper through Amazon...

When I reset the first one I owned, it did appear the Finger Print option under Windows Hello was not available, but within like a second it showed up. Windows 10 Mobile is like that, where setting and apps do not completely provision until you go in and "mess" with them. Most features/apps with their registry setting, options, etc. do not activate until you open to use it or toggle it for the first time. Try hard resetting the release preview build you are on now 14393.726. Last resort if this is the T-mobile model I would use the windows device recovery tool.

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I did a reset and the Windows Hello option actually returned. However, it looks like they've changed something on this build as the tutorial screen has changed and my finger prints are never accepted - there's no feedback from the registration process at all while I swipe my finger across the sensor, so I have to cancel out of it. So either the sensor is actually defective or something broke in this build.

I'm gonna try and restore back to the latest production build, do a hard reset again and see where I stand. I'm perilously close to just returning it outright however - I've set the groundwork for that already as I'm tired of sinking time and energy into this phone at this point.

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
And.....I used the WDRT tool to reflash the phone back to TMobile image/build 10.0.14393.726. Same fingerprint GUI appears though, so maybe I'm mistaken there. And it still doesn't work.

Guess I'm headed back to the store. Sigh.....

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
And.....I used the WDRT tool to reflash the phone back to TMobile image/build 10.0.14393.726. Same fingerprint GUI appears though, so maybe I'm mistaken there. And it still doesn't work.

Guess I'm headed back to the store. Sigh.....
The image build on WDRT is .726?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
. . . and my finger prints are never accepted - there's no feedback from the registration process at all while I swipe my finger across the sensor, so I have to cancel out of it. So either the sensor is actually defective or something broke in this build. . . .

Hmm. "Swipe" doesn't sound right. The correct process should be to place the finger on the sensor, and to keep lifting and placing when prompted, not swiping.

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Just returned the phone for an exchange, so this will be my final post. Will keep an eye on this forum to see if they fix some of these issues with a firmware update. Going back to my lumia 640 for now. But I'm likely gonna hop into the Android pool longer term, as my wife is getting irritated with me having to borrow her phone to use various apps.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Just returned the phone for an exchange, so this will be my final post. Will keep an eye on this forum to see if they fix some of these issues with a firmware update. Going back to my lumia 640 for now. But I'm likely gonna hop into the Android pool longer term, as my wife is getting irritated with me having to borrow her phone to use various apps.
I would have to assume that your issue was specifically phone related. Since you had it with two phones, extremely bad luck? Many of us have set up our fingerprint scanners without issues like that, so I doubt there will be a firmware update for it.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I would have to assume that your issue was specifically phone related. Since you had it with two phones, extremely bad luck? Many of us have set up our fingerprint scanners without issues like that, so I doubt there will be a firmware update for it.

Exactly. I don't think its a widespread issue. Must be device dependent.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa