Honest answers for 950xl

Scott King2

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I have always been fond of Windows OS. I reluctantly own an iPhone 7 plus it's fair but not as solid as I heard iPhones were I had a Samsung s7 before it but after 5 phones with the same issues I switched. I have a small internet sales business. I do a lot of my sales and work on my iPhone but I feel it's not ideal. So honest answers is the Windows OS solid enough that I would make a good choice going to a 950xl. Do you feel it would be better for what I want to use it for? Thanks

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have an iphone and a 950 xl, I'm not sure what short fall you have from the iPhone, and how are you conducting this online sales business? If it is via email and browser, then the 950 is a capable device. When you start relying on apps, that's a different story (invoicing etc).

Scott King2

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Only apps I really use are ms note, ms one drive, excel, and ebay. I would say my biggest issue is I have to place orders through a website and the iphone seems to do an awful job with how it fits on the screen I have to keep bouncing back and forth from landscape view to upright just to see where i need to fill in boxes with text info

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Only apps I really use are ms note, ms one drive, excel, and ebay. I would say my biggest issue is I have to place orders through a website and the iphone seems to do an awful job with how it fits on the screen I have to keep bouncing back and forth from landscape view to upright just to see where i need to fill in boxes with text info

sounds more like the website is not optimized for mobile use. May be you can borrow a friend's device and check the website on the edge browser?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
As long as you update the Lumia 950 XL with the latest firmware/software updates before properly setting it up, it's a stable, fun device to use. Earlier builds of Windows 10 Mobile weren't particularly stable but nowadays I rarely have any issues with my Lumia 950 XL and it just works. I set the display to 300% font size so now I see even more on the spectacular QHD OLED display (it's a far better screen than the iPhone 7+). It seems like it might be a great option for what you're looking for, especially considering the fact that the Lumia 950 XL has a removable battery (leaving potential for hot swapping) and microSD card support (a boon for anyone who needs a bit of storage). Would I personally suggest it? Definitely. Do I think it would work for your scenario? That depends on whether or not Microsoft Edge would be any better than Safari at rendering the website. I'm inclined to think that setting Edge to render websites as desktop pages (an easy thing to do through settings...it's just a few taps) would help your situation, especially given the Lumia 950 XL's larger, higher resolution screen.

All I can really tell you...try it before you buy it. I love my Lumia 950 XL but that doesn't mean you will.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
The email app is absolutely unreliable on W10M. Some builds ago just opening an email from say UPS would force my phone to lock up, and opening some emails caused my phone to manually reboot. If you rely on email do not make the switch right now.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have always been fond of Windows OS. I reluctantly own an iPhone 7 plus it's fair but not as solid as I heard iPhones were I had a Samsung s7 before it but after 5 phones with the same issues I switched. I have a small internet sales business. I do a lot of my sales and work on my iPhone but I feel it's not ideal. So honest answers is the Windows OS solid enough that I would make a good choice going to a 950xl. Do you feel it would be better for what I want to use it for? Thanks
You might want to also look at the Alcatel Idol 4S for Windows. Same approx price as the 950XL for new non carrier branded versions.

Alcatel has faster processor, more memory, more storage, much better battery life.

Objective areas where 950XL is better: optical camera stabilization, Glance, Qi charging, faster charging, NFC.

Subjective: 950XL has about same size but higher res screen (5.7 UHD vs. 5.5 FHD), appearance. Stock, the Alcatel looks and feels a lot better.

I bought both. I carry the 950XL and my wife the Alcatel. If it wasn't for how much I like the Mozo leather and wood backs, I would go with the Alcatel. I don't take enough pictures for the optical stabilization to be a decider and don't use NFC. I don't care much for the 950XL battery life being maybe half what the Alcatel's is.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The email app is absolutely unreliable on W10M. Some builds ago just opening an email from say UPS would force my phone to lock up, and opening some emails caused my phone to manually reboot. If you rely on email do not make the switch right now.

Could it have been your phone? I have had multiple Windows 10 devices and never experienced this.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You might want to also look at the Alcatel Idol 4S for Windows. Same approx price as the 950XL for new non carrier branded versions.

Alcatel has faster processor, more memory, more storage, much better battery life.

Objective areas where 950XL is better: optical camera stabilization, Glance, Qi charging, faster charging, NFC.

Subjective: 950XL has about same size but higher res screen (5.7 UHD vs. 5.5 FHD), appearance. Stock, the Alcatel looks and feels a lot better.

I bought both. I carry the 950XL and my wife the Alcatel. If it wasn't for how much I like the Mozo leather and wood backs, I would go with the Alcatel. I don't take enough pictures for the optical stabilization to be a decider and don't use NFC. I don't care much for the 950XL battery life being maybe half what the Alcatel's is.

I do miss the Mozo back but everything else is sweet. I'm not a big camera person but do appreciate the battery life and processor.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Could it have been your phone? I have had multiple Windows 10 devices and never experienced this.

Trust me, I wasn't the only one with these problems. It was a very common topic discussed in these forums. That is what finally pushed me to a different OS.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Trust me, I wasn't the only one with these problems. It was a very common topic discussed in these forums. That is what finally pushed me to a different OS.

Perhaps, but you can't make a sweeping statement if it doesn't affect everyone. People are on different devices, insider builds, etc. which provides many variables.
Not disputing you, just pointing out an alternative view.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Had the Ativ S, 1020, 830, 650 and 950, a few times in the early stages of the game my 830 did reboot on occasion (once/twice a month) but was fixed after an 8.1 update or hard reset (can't quite remember). Other than that can't say I've ever had a chronic reboot issue on any of Windows phones for any other reason... Touch wood.

Now I'm not saying that wasn't the case with you as there has been well known inconsistencies within the platform experiencing it myself, just not in this instance.Speaking of hard resets, have you've done one of late and if so, same, worse or better results afterwards.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps, but you can't make a sweeping statement if it doesn't affect everyone. People are on different devices, insider builds, etc. which provides many variables.

I have had 3 previous windows phones and now the 950XL and never had any e-mail problems or any other problems what's so ever. It's possible your particular phone ?????? has something wrong, is it's under warranty I would send it in for repair/exchange.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I have had 3 previous windows phones and now the 950XL and never had any e-mail problems or any other problems what's so ever. It's possible your particular phone 📞 has something wrong, is it's under warranty I would send it in for repair/exchange.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I'd say you'd be OK with the first three but believe the eBay App is no longer available. In essence you'd be relying on the Edge browser not only for eBay but possibly in many other instances. I've had issues personally with Edge not displaying pages properly or not at all so it's anyone's guess if this will affect you. The only real way to know is to take a phone running W10M for a test drive, preferably a 950 XL or... I agree though the Alcatel Idol 4S may be the better choice for your type of usage, newer, better specs in some respects and superior battery life, so I hear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3