Considering to move from L930 to L650. Worth it ?

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

Fellow member looking for some serious advice here (I currently own 2x L930).

1st suffered damage after vertical drop to concrete; I was researching price for repair, but it was almost 60% of price that was valid at that time.
So I bought 2nd one, as there was discount in MS Store during Black Friday, and it was just a bit more expensive than price for repair. However, 2nd also suffered some damage, albeit less than 1st one. That was just around the time I was doing research on problematic MICs. Turns out, my 2nd piece was problematic, however because of damage and price for repair, I deemed it useless to contact support (I heard some awful stories about repairs). Basically I can't record proper video because of MIC issues, and I am considering to buy dedicated compact camera anyway.

I can get L650 Dual SIM variant for a mere 130 € / 136 $ (incl. VAT).
I was hoping to find some 950 Dual SIM, but I realized I missed that train long ago :grin:
I am seriously considering to retire both 930s, so before I do that, I'd like to ask some questions:

1) How is L650 performing on most current stable W10M release ? Any annoying bugs ?​
2) 2000 mAh is quite small battery - can phone survive 1 day on moderate usage ? That would be LTE on all day, some FB, some Reddit, sporadic light gaming. I plan to get some powerbank later.​
3) What is final FW version, and do we expect some more updates ?​
4) I saw some user review, where it was said that L650 does not have electromagnetic sensor (compas) ? Does this somehow hamper usage of maps ? (not that I use them very often).​

Thank you in advance for all answers.

Bobi

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to tag @Elky64 and @RumoredNow but I'll also offer my own experience.

1) I didn't have issues with it on the current production ring. It wasn't laggy but at the same time, it wasn't super fast either.
2) In my experience, if you plan to use Edge for a long period of time (30+ minute sessions), it will not last a day for you. Some people are able to squeeze out a day but I always get slightly less than a day.
3) No idea, sorry but there will be more software updates, probably.
4) In my experience, no.

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
1) For me it's stable, no problems at all.
2) 2000 mAh battery is indeed small, but Snapdragon 212 is low-end cpu, so it's power requirements are also low, therefore it can last for 1 day easily with such a usage as you are describing.
3) Depends on region, but I have an unlocked version (European) with fw ver. 1078.00042.16352.50011
This one is the newest one (string "xx.00042.xx" is important here) and it contains Double tap to wake. But if I'm not mistaken, US Cricket version is still on older fw version without DTTW.
There is no word about future fw updates (it never was for any MS phone), but OS updates are released periodically every 2nd Tuesday in a month.
4) Yes, that's true, it doesn't have a compass (shame on MS!!) but it doesn't have a much of an impact on MS Maps app usage.. actually I'm not quite sure if a support for a compass is even implemented in Maps app..

EDIT: I would just add that if you are used to WP 8.1 on your L930, WM 10 will probably seems quite slow in comparison. Unfortunately that's true even with L950.. :(

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1) How is L650 performing on most current stable W10M release ? Any annoying bugs ?
2) 2000 mAh is quite small battery - can phone survive 1 day on moderate usage ? That would be LTE on all day, some FB, some Reddit, sporadic light gaming. I plan to get some powerbank later.
3) What is final FW version, and do we expect some more updates ?
4) I saw some user review, where it was said that L650 does not have electromagnetic sensor (compas) ? Does this somehow hamper usage of maps ? (not that I use them very often).

1) I found the 650 smooth and pleasurable. FWIW, I think built for W10M runs the OS better than Upgraded units. The 650 is not a powerhouse, as you know, so much depends on your daily use habits. If you aren't juggling apps all day (multitask) and using resource heavy messengers (FB, Whatsapp, etc.) it should be fine. I loved the screen and the camera is actually very decent. I took some stunning shots with mine, IMHO. Expect less in low-light and with "action" shots. 16GB internal storage is nice. Great look and feel to the device. Might be a bit flimsy because of all the weight shaving. Definitely go with a case since it seems you have that oopsie thing going on...

2) I'm a pretty moderate user and always got through a day.

3) FW latest, I could not say. I would not rule out FW updates for the factory unlocked version, but would not expect much.

4) The only effect no magnetometer has on maps is some lag in direction orientation. Most noticeable when walking with nav. It's not a deal breaker, IMHO.

My 2 cents. Get a 650. It's a very nice everyday phone in a no frills sort of way. As long as your expectation level is that it is budget. But it is very nice budget.

Next step, get a phone toolkit of find someone to do the job. Swap all the internals from 930 #1 into the body and display of 930 #2 . Maybe even test batteries to see which proves better. Assemble the best 930 you can from the two you have and join us here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...oh-1oh2oh-nine3oh-1c0n-eight3oh-new-post.html

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

Fellow member looking for some serious advice here (I currently own 2x L930).

1st suffered damage after vertical drop to concrete; I was researching price for repair, but it was almost 60% of price that was valid at that time.
So I bought 2nd one, as there was discount in MS Store during Black Friday, and it was just a bit more expensive than price for repair. However, 2nd also suffered some damage, albeit less than 1st one. That was just around the time I was doing research on problematic MICs. Turns out, my 2nd piece was problematic, however because of damage and price for repair, I deemed it useless to contact support (I heard some awful stories about repairs). Basically I can't record proper video because of MIC issues, and I am considering to buy dedicated compact camera anyway.

I can get L650 Dual SIM variant for a mere 130 € / 136 $ (incl. VAT).
I was hoping to find some 950 Dual SIM, but I realized I missed that train long ago :grin:
I am seriously considering to retire both 930s, so before I do that, I'd like to ask some questions:

1) How is L650 performing on most current stable W10M release ? Any annoying bugs ?​
2) 2000 mAh is quite small battery - can phone survive 1 day on moderate usage ? That would be LTE on all day, some FB, some Reddit, sporadic light gaming. I plan to get some powerbank later.​
3) What is final FW version, and do we expect some more updates ?​
4) I saw some user review, where it was said that L650 does not have electromagnetic sensor (compas) ? Does this somehow hamper usage of maps ? (not that I use them very often).​

Thank you in advance for all answers.

Bobi

1] Without being overly dramatic and IMO, the 650 is a pretty capable device running the current production build of W10M. No not the fastest kid on the block but with all the positives it brings to the table, I'm willing to deal with that aspect. Any annoying bugs that I've found are present on my 830/950 too (both same builds as 650), so at this point none are "650 only" related that I've noticed.

2] I'm a moderate user too so mine gets me through a day no problem. My typical 16+ hr day nets me between 55-65% with lowest around 45%. Very rarely have I seen it dip below the 30% mark even on an extended day/usage. Bottom line... We are happy with how the battery performs.

3] Unsure of final FW version. I'm not expecting but hoping more updates with come fourth.

4] Rarely use maps but when I have, no complaints.

Some highlights for me...

* Good value for the $$$

* Nice design

* Great feel in-hand w/case I've chosen

* Beautiful display

* 16GB internal storage

* Above average camera in decent lighting (exceeded my expectations)

* Removable battery

As a side note... Withdrawals were getting the better of me so we reinstated the 650 as our daily driver after less than a week being without, boy did I miss it!!! :kiss:

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
@libra89 @Elky64 @RumoredNow @Dano91 @Walter Wagenleithner

Thank you guys for your responses. I have carefully read your opinions.
Out of curiosity, I went also through few articles in this sub-forum, and I am quite nervous about issues people ran into...

Is that GPS problem @Dano91 mentioned still present ? I am also going to buy unlocked phone in Czech Republic, but if it is that bad that GPS has a fixation problems even on open fields, or that it has problem to keep navigating, that's quite disturbing... I don't use Maps that much, but if I do, I have a good reason for that, and I am worried to be in middle of nowhere with GPS I can't rely on...
Also, that missing compass - is it that thing which allows me to turn around with phone and making map rotating as well ? So for example, without compass, I can't tap in map to show me where is north, correct ? Not being picky, just curious.

As far as battery goes, I am quite careful about what is running on background, so I hope I will just block as much stuff as I can, leaving only necessary things running on background. Also, most of the time I have 0 apps opened and running in background. I just want that when I switch on LTE and let some stuff sync, like calendar or notes, that it will not just drain battery in minutes. Although, I will miss wireless charging, I was considering some Qi pad for L930. Maybe somebody could provide some tips on battery savings, like how much stuff I can turn off/disable ?

Speaking of damage control :grin: , I will consider some case, although that massive damage was caused by my drunk friends :grin: Can somebody give some recommendation on cases, while not making phone bulky ?

As for W10M being smooth, I have production build and Fast Ring on L930s, and I am used to them not being as smooth as WP8.1 was back in a days. As long as OS does not stutter, I am fine with it.

If I decide to go with L650, what would be best approach ? Take a phone, do not even turn it on, just plug into PC, and run WDRT to flash to latest FW/OS revision ? I believe that this would make it a device with very fresh start. Thoughts ?

P.S.: After I get L650 (I think I will pull the trigger this week), I will purchase replacement assembly for 930 (as glass is damaged, and frame around it as well), and I will place internals of 1st 930 into it. Might be still functional after that with all MICs functional. :wink:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you get the 650, you can do that for sure since there might be updates available (I mean on the FW side, even though I think DttW was the last update there).

As for savings, you can always reduce how often your email syncs, and use "managed by windows" for apps that you want updates from. For the others, don't allow them to run in the background if you don't care for notifications.

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll like to add that the latest Creators update (15xyz series) has an ADDITIONAL background usage saving feature in Mobile Data settings. It restrict background data usage and this will in turn help with battery backup.
I've used my phone normally with LTE on the whole day and it lasts easily.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

Sorry for MIA :angel: Today I picked up my L650 :smile:

It was very last piece I was able to get, and I got it as "used" (it was in showroom), but no physical damage.

I am still getting used to it, it's a lot ! lighter than 930.
Build quality feels exactly like low priced device, although only back cover is not able to stay in one place. It's not very comfortable, but I decided to purchase some case, and I went with this nice MOZO case. It's stylish, and with lighter phone I guess it will feel even better. :smile:

I went through basic setup, it's charging now, and I can't wait to put it in that MOZO case few weeks later. I am happy it is Dual SIM, no more keeping an eye on 2 phones.

I am going to flash it with WDRT as soon as I can.

So thanks for you input guys. :wink:

P.S.: Oh, and - you don't appreciate Glance Screen until you have it ! :shocked:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

Sorry for MIA :angel: Today I picked up my L650 :smile:

It was very last piece I was able to get, and I got it as "used" (it was in showroom), but no physical damage.

I am still getting used to it, it's a lot ! lighter than 930.
Build quality feels exactly like low priced device, although only back cover is not able to stay in one place. It's not very comfortable, but I decided to purchase some case, and I went with this nice MOZO case. It's stylish, and with lighter phone I guess it will feel even better. :smile:

I went through basic setup, it's charging now, and I can't wait to put it in that MOZO case few weeks later. I am happy it is Dual SIM, no more keeping an eye on 2 phones.

I am going to flash it with WDRT as soon as I can.

So thanks for you input guys. :wink:

P.S.: Oh, and - you don't appreciate Glance Screen until you have it ! :shocked:

Congrats! Enjoy and hope it works out for you.

To me it's lightweight does give a sense of "cheapness" but, at least on mine, build quality is actually quite good I find. Haven't had any issues with back cover although it does take a bit of effort to snap into place properly.

As for comfort, I'd say not so much if naked, with case I have chosen though it has turned into a very comfortable and perfectly sized phone for me. Below is my cases (650/950) and we're lovin them. :smile:

Yeah glance is a nice feature for sure.

650_950-2(edit).jpg

650_950-1(edit).jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos