Leaning towards the Elite X3 but unsure???

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you still restoring from the 950 backup? Wonder if it showed that after the first restore you did and maybe that is part of it (Hotspot not looking right)? And yes moving from LTE to H+ is bummer. Maybe try putting roaming on? I am still trying to understand how AT&T's interoperability with Tmobile's LTE band 12 works exactly. If the phone has band 12 but an ATT sim it would seem logical that roaming be on to be able to know to jump to a band other than what is suppose to run on...anyway maybe worth a try I guess.

Nope, when I wiped the phone the other night I did not bother with the backup. It was definitely the long way to do it, but I manually redid every setting, added every account and downloaded all of my apps. I kept my photos and music on my SD card but that is it. I should have thought to backup my ringtones from the phones drive before proceeding because it turns out the X3 has a pretty stark collection of tones. But I can pull them off my 950 at some point.

Nope turned roaming back on but everything is the same.

I'm going to give HP a call and see if they have any ideas. Hopefully they can help as I am running out of options. I really do not want to have to return the phone as I love it. But if my data speeds aren't much better then what I get through my DSL I might have to think about it. Now that I have Hotspot available on my phone at no extra cost I do not want to go back to using my 'pay as you go' hotspot which costs me $50 or more per month.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You might be getting only or mostly bands 5 and 2 out there for AT&T. Bands 12 and 17 are the primary LTE bands.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much...depends on who you ask...anything up to 21Mbit/s. You can see an updated matrix on Wikipedia if you search in it for AT&T Mobility.

Who you ask is correct. I've been told by AT&T that it is both slower and faster, HP says it is faster.

OK for anybody experiencing the same H+ issues on AT&T with the X3 here is the complete journey, I'm posting it all as I don't know which if any of the earlier steps were needed to get to the end result. Also keep in mind I live in an extremely rural area (middle of nowhere Montana) and the AT&T tower closest to my house might not have been updated this decade, so your experience might vary. There are no T-Mobile towers any where near but there is a Verizon tower right next to the AT&T tower. I don't know if the existence or lack of other towers matters in this case, but it might be relevant to point out only because I know I did not get the below results roaming a near by T-Mobile tower.

Day 1:
  • AT&T phone support changes imei. This is no help, speeds still slow but they tell me H+ should be faster then 4g
Day 2:
  • Visited AT&T
  • They checked all settings
  • Put in new SIM Card
  • Turned off roaming.
  • Told me that H+ is slower than 4G.
  • When I got home I was still on H+
  • Husband changed several settings in many variations still H+ and slow speeds.
Day 3:
  • As per Nate's suggestion turned roaming back on. Still H+
  • Called HP, not able to help with this, but told us it's all good because H+ is faster than 4g
  • Speed tests still struggling to go above 1mbps
  • Last ditch effort, called AT&T again.
  • First rep is no help but again tells me H+ is slower than 4g
  • Transferred to 2nd rep who looked up the stats for my local tower & the tower in town. According to him local tower only gets 3g capable of 3.5mbps town tower gets LTE
  • He also told us that H+ = 3.5g and for marketing purposes when phones with AT&T software (not unlocked phones) show 4g they are really getting 3.5g in other words H+
  • So the question we presented to the rep was why is my phone slower than all others in the house if the other phones 4g is = to my H+
  • AT this point AT&T rep had us change the APN to NXTGENPHONE. Not sure why he did not suggest this in the first place.

End result I'm still showing H or H+. BUT now have the fastest download speed I have ever seen at our house. I don't know officially if H+ is faster than 4g as my local tower does not support 4g only 3.5g. I do know my H+ is now faster than the "fake for marketing purposes" 4g on the husbands droid. I'm Averaging between 4 and 5mbps with a high of 6.30. Upload speeds not as good but usable. My download speeds since the APN change have been consistently better by 1 to 2 mbps than the Androids & iPhones in the house as well as MUCH better than my 950 ever got.

speed.jpg

If anyone needs the settings Internet APN settings are below.

iapn1.jpg

iapn2.jpg

And now that I know I am keeping the phone I am going to apply the Liquid Glass Screen Protector that just arrived in the mail.

Thanks for the input and assistance it is much appreciated.

Attachments

• mmsapn1.jpg
    mmsapn1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 15
  • mmsapn2.jpg
    mmsapn2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Who you ask is correct. I've been told by AT&T that it is both slower and faster, HP says it is faster.

OK for anybody experiencing the same H+ issues on AT&T with the X3 here is the complete journey, I'm posting it all as I don't know which if any of the earlier steps were needed to get to the end result. Also keep in mind I live in an extremely rural area (middle of nowhere Montana) and the tower closest to my house might not have been updated this decade, so your experience might vary.

Day 1:
  • AT&T phone support changes imei this is no help

Day 2:
  • Visited AT&T
  • They checked all settings
  • Put in new SIM Card
  • Turned off roaming.
  • Told me that H+ is slower then 4G.
  • When I got home I was still on H+
  • Husband changed several settings in many variations still H+ and slow speeds.

(so if you are paying attention at this point it seems as if H+ is slower then 4G at least in a rural area on AT&T)

Day 3:
  • Called HP, not able to help with this, but told us it's all good because H+ is faster then 4g
  • Speed tests still struggling to go above 1mbps
  • Last ditched effort, called AT&T again.
  • First rep is no help but again tells me H+ is slower then 4g
  • Transferred to 2nd rep who looked up the stats for my local tower & the tower in town, according to him local tower only gets 3g town tower gets LTE
  • He also told us that H+ = 3.5g and for marketing purposes when phones with AT&T software (not unlocked phones) show 4g they are really getting 3.5g in other words H+
  • So the question we presented to the rep was why is my phone slower then all others in the house if the other phones 4g is = to my H+
  • AT&T rep had us change the APN to NXTGENPHONE

End result I now have the fastest download speed I have ever seen at our house. Averaging between 4 and 5mbps with a high of 6.30. Upload speeds not as good but usable.

View attachment 134410

If anyone needs the settings Internet APN and MMS APN are below

View attachment 134411

View attachment 134412

View attachment 134413

View attachment 134414

And now that I know I am keeping the phone I am going to apply the Liquid Glass Screen Protector that just arrived in the mail.

Thanks for the input and assistance it is much appreciated.
One day I will figure out how to delete my default apn out of every unlocked Windows Phone I use on AT&T, which defaults to apn phone instead of nxtgenphone. Good job on that. Unless the unlocked phone was made 5 years ago it should default to nxtgenphone. I have no idea why Microsoft cannot provision this correctly.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
One day I will figure out how to delete my default apn out of every unlocked Windows Phone I use on AT&T, which defaults to apn phone instead of nxtgenphone. Good job on that. Unless the unlocked phone was made 5 years ago it should default to nxtgenphone. I have no idea why Microsoft cannot provision this correctly.

I’ll be honest I was truly getting ready to return the phone. I had my figure on the return button in Amazon when my husband decided to give AT&T one last try! Had rep 1 not transferred him to rep 2 the phone would be in a package and on its way back!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Which tells me there are too many people in tech support who might not be qualified to do what they do!

Probably, but I'm not sure what the answer is.
We have the same thing at work. Calling the help desk gets you a variety of possible scenarios. I imagine it is due to the vast array of situations and variables issues can bring. I also doubt these are highly paid tech gurus. Most are following templates or schematics to see if they can solve the problem. Often times it works if its a common issue. If its more difficult it may take days for a solution.
Anyway, I'm glad you got it resolved and can enjoy your new X3!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Probably, but I'm not sure what the answer is.
We have the same thing at work. Calling the help desk gets you a variety of possible scenarios. I imagine it is due to the vast array of situations and variables issues can bring. I also doubt these are highly paid tech gurus. Most are following templates or schematics to see if they can solve the problem. Often times it works if its a common issue. If its more difficult it may take days for a solution.
Anyway, I'm glad you got it resolved and can enjoy your new X3!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
Any time "Call Center" is involved or prefaces the type of support you are getting, then quotas are factor too. Time on the call, resolution count, time to resolve, all those play a factor. I too can relate, and it burns me when the call center sends their problems to us or others, with either incorrect assumptions/info/details, not enough, or the worst is with no info or details at all.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Just an FYI it was not my intention to shed a light on call centers or tech support. My husband managed call center for years. But there is no denying that there are always those that want to win the day for fastest call times and you can tell they aren't interested interested in actually helping. Many are wonderful, I was referring to those that make you wonder when you hang up if they actually got paid for that call!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
If anyone uses the settings I posted above please note I have removed the MMS settings as they were incorrect. Turns out the settings we had worked until I tried to send an attachment OR tried to open some but not all attachments. The default settings on the phone are the ones that work, so you do not need to change the MMS settings!

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
So, Mrs Jenny.. :) after and while having dealt with your SIM and LTE issue, what can you tell us about your usage experience with x3 Elite? you know, the usual ( battery life, smoothness of operation, stability of apps, browsing experience)..

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So, Mrs Jenny.. :) after and while having dealt with your SIM and LTE issue, what can you tell us about your usage experience with x3 Elite? you know, the usual ( battery life, smoothness of operation, stability of apps, browsing experience)..

Sorry for my delayed response I was distracted by a big project!

I'm very happy with the phone!

Some of the initial issues were a bit annoying but nothing that was a deal breaker!

Battery life is extraordinary! I have never drained it or gotten to a level where I have been worried it might die. I usually charge it at about 40%, but I am well over a day in when I get there. And as advertised it charges super fast!

I don't use many apps, but I have not had any issues or crashes on that front. I'm a fan of the basic windows apps; weather, outlook, money, news etc. and they are working exactly as expected. I have not yet gotten around to setting up Cortana, been meaning to, but for the past week there has not been enough hours in the day. Once I get it setup I expect it to work as it did on past phones!

As far as browser goes this remains a sore spot IMHO when it comes to windows phones. I personally hate edge. I've been playing around with Surfy Browser and so far I like it. However until MS allows us to change the default browser using others will remain a sore spot!

It is the best phone I have ever used and operates smoothly in every way. Any issues I have are related to the growing pains MS has had with the operating system and not inherent to the hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077