Do You VR?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling this is going to come up overwhelmingly "meh" as a response. Let's see. :winktongue:

Idol 4S Windows comes with VR bundled in. Yes, we all know that W10M doesn't have the most VR Apps and the selection is limited. Thoughtful observes may have noted that Microsoft looks poised to go all in with AR (Augmented Reality) and/or MR (Mixed Reality) across their platforms. Hopefully, W10M will get in on it and our Idol 4S rigs will be poised to take advantage.

Do you use the VR? Do you like it? Do you think the headset is good? Do you think the phone is built well enough for it?

Do you use it a lot? How often?

Do you show it off to friends and family?

Do you hope we see more Apps for VR/AR/MR coming in a big wave after Creators Update and beyond?

Are you a VRHead?

Tell us what you think about the VR situation on W10M and with the Idol 4S Windows in particular.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm a self confessed gadget geek and love trying the next big thing or possible next big thing but can honestly say I've never tried VR full stop. I'm really interested but still waiting to see of its going to stick around and be a thing. It's probably safe to say it is given all the big tech firms starting to invest heavily with upcoming products (Hololens, Samsung GearVR, PlayStation, Xbox etc etc) but I've got 3 3D TV's in my house that we're going to be the next big thing too but haven't been used for that purpose in a few years.
I'll probably jump on board with the next XBox (Project Scorpio) unless I get a free headset with an upcoming phone purchase

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hell to the NO!! I prefer Chivas Regal to make me that dizzy.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

I actually prefer nothing that makes me dizzy. I tried it, even though I knew it would. It's funny, I can ride the wildest roller coasters and they don't make me the least bit queasy, but certain video games (going all the way back to Wolfenstein and Doom) will leave me nauseated for hours.

BTW, you're too young to be retired. :grin:

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have it and tried the VR. It's underwhelming due to limited content. You can sample and watch 360 videos from Youtube. Yes, low framerate will make anyone dizzy. It's an issue plaguing all AR and VR that requires developers to get their framerate up and apply good practices.

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I tried it once for about 10 minutes and felt nauseous for a while after (at least an hour). I pulled it out again about a week ago and after about 30 seconds felt dizzy. I'm done. I hope high end 90fps wont make me feel that way. I would eventually like a rift or vive.

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When I got the idol it was a nice plus to get the VR but ultimately it's a waste of time and space. I tried it in the first week and almost puked after abt 30 minutes. It probably would have been better if there were directions on how to use the VR but I spent the whole time trying to just orient myself to the system, and by the time I figured it out I was super dizzy. Since then I've pulled it out once for a friend to try and then it went right back in the box and that's where its been for months.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When I got the idol it was a nice plus to get the VR but ultimately it's a waste of time and space.

Since then I've pulled it out once for a friend to try and then it went right back in the box and that's where its been for months.

Pretty much what Michael Fisher said during his review too.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but feel that the VR thing is going to go like 3D TV's, that is not very far.

I've seen potential applications for it in business (i.e. construction industry where they do site walk throughs and layout plans for site ergonomics), but not entirely sure it's really useful as opposed to current alternatives.

The only potential reason I'd use it is to watch stuff in bed, lying down. I suppose you could get 3D content as well that way, but it's neither here nor there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but feel that the VR thing is going to go like 3D TV's, that is not very far.

I've seen potential applications for it in business (i.e. construction industry where they do site walk throughs and layout plans for site ergonomics), but not entirely sure it's really useful as opposed to current alternatives.

The only potential reason I'd use it is to watch stuff in bed, lying down. I suppose you could get 3D content as well that way, but it's neither here nor there.

I can't see VR doing anything that BIM or Revit isn't doing now.

anon(5618912)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
No, because I cant get past the frickin startup screen

Edit: Finally got it to work, but when trying to view VR videos through the browser, it doesn't work. Works with the pre-installed apps tho

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...or spin around in circles real fast...

I've come to the conclusion I need a stool that swivels 360º to really take advantage.

So, to answer my own questions.

Do you use the VR? Do you like it? Do you think the headset is good? Do you think the phone is built well enough for it?
I do use the VR. I do like it. I think the headset is a great value bundled in like it is. Way better than a generic fits any phone I tried. Zero light bleed, comfortable, adjustable, good field of view, exposes the camera for AR and when you leave that cover off it also helps combat heat build up. I like the way the phone runs the VR. I think it does very well indeed. The screen being "only" 1080p doesn't bother me. I don't see pixelation and maybe that is because I'm not scrutinizing for it.

Do you use it a lot? How often?
I dive as much as I can. It's not my primary hobby, but I manage a few hours every now and then. I'll likely do more in future rather than less.

Do you show it off to friends and family?
Sure thing. It's a cool toy and people seem to like it.

Do you hope we see more Apps for VR/AR/MR coming in a big wave after Creators Update and beyond?
Yes please. I really hope that W10M doesn't get left out of the "weaponization" of VR/AR that is going on now. Apple is pretty far behind until they find a way to "invent" VR so their platform can uber-monetize it and charge obscene amounts. Microsoft has a chance to push something forward here and I was really happy to see Alcatel bring their Idol series VR over here.

Are you a VRHead?
Why yes, I am. :cool: Maybe you should check it out...

Tell us what you think about the VR situation on W10M and with the Idol 4S Windows in particular.
Obviously there are not as many apps for VR on W10M as there are on Android. I hope that changes. Fibrum is a pretty big player and I'm glad they came over with Alcatel. They are very well represented in the Store. Let's have more of that. I'd like to see more apps come over on the Bridges... Fulldive would be a great addition so we have another launcher.

For the Idol 4S Windows, the only real complaint I have is being unable to add VR apps to the in-house launcher. That is a bummer.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope i got 2 of them and only used those goggles once I'm gonna sell them on eBay honestly probably

Sent from Idol 4s

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...only used those goggles once I'm gonna sell them on eBay honestly probably...

They only fit 3 phones properly. The Idol 4S Android and the Idol 4S Windows both come with the headset and who needs two for one phone?

IMHO, you should put them on Android Central and Crackberry Marketplace forums and look for DTEK 60 users who might want one.

I'd think $30 shipped sounds about right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss