Lumia 640 phone storage problem

anon(10192285)

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Just signed up for forum. Need some help advice etc. I have an ongoing issue with a lack of storage on the phone memory on Lumia 640 which I think may eventually mean I have to move on to a new phone. Given the the fact that Microsoft are basically ditching lumia phones this will probably entail kissing goodbye to Windows and finally turning to Android.

The problem with the lack of storage crops up every time there is a phone update,which has just occurred. This time I had to clear some space before I could update, I had to clear 700 mb.

It is basically email, calendar and Edge that take up large amounts of storage on my phone, email/calendar 850mb and 250mb with Edge. I cleared as much as I could, deleting emails and history and favourites etc but I just don't seem to be able to reduce it much.

Can anybody suggest how I can reduce the storage on these apps and what I can do generally to reduce storage. I have cleared photos, Whatsapp and other storage hogging apps. I would like to uninstall or move some of the preloaded Microsoft apps like Groove and Xbox that I don't use but it appears to be impossible.

Any help appreciated.

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you have and use an SD card? That is always an option to move some apps onto and free up space on the device. I'm not sure on what could be done to shrink the apps, short of doing what you already have done.
Is there anything else in use on there that takes up space - maps for example, specific games? I have looked at my L640 and the system and reserved is at 3.3GB with apps and games at 2.10GB, my mail and calendar is only 131MB but I keep on top of my mail with little in the inbox and just routine day to day calendar entries.

The Groove and Xbox apps are quite minimal <100MB each (at least on my phone) so would make little impact to storage space by deleting anyway.
Sorry I can't help more, but maybe that gives a few ideas.

Wan Firas

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Try to clear Edge history & sync mails for a week. Check Maps too. If still no avail, should try factory reset as you already have the urge to jump ship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99