Elite x3 continues to wake up while on the road

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
So far I'm enjoying the x3 but there's one quirk that has me leaning towards going back to my Lumia 950 XL.

When placed in a car cradle, the Elite x3 constantly wakes up while driving around. I'm using a TYTL cradle and at first I thought it was the Qi charger being tempermental but with the charger turned off, the screen still constantly wakes up.

The screen does wake up when a new notification is received or the Elite x3 is fully charged, but otherwise the screen should be turned off. Turning off the Tap to Wake feature did help reduce the frequency of the screen waking up, but it drives me nuts to have the screen pop-on every few seconds. Especially when driving at night.

Anyone else having this issue? If so any fixes out there that works?

Ank J

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi George,
Do you have any issues while using H elite x3 at night. It seems mine Phone has way too minimum brightness.HP elite x3 minimum brightness is way too high at night. It lights up the whole room while using Microsoft edge at night. Is there any way to decrease the minimum brightness or any app which does that? I have many apps in android and ios store which does that. Please advice is there any dimmer or low brightness setting in Hp elite x3 or any app.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Hi George,
Do you have any issues while using H elite x3 at night. It seems mine Phone has way too minimum brightness.HP elite x3 minimum brightness is way too high at night. It lights up the whole room while using Microsoft edge at night. Is there any way to decrease the minimum brightness or any app which does that? I have many apps in android and ios store which does that. Please advice is there any dimmer or low brightness setting in Hp elite x3 or any app.

Can't say that I've had issues with the screen brightness. The auto brightness does seem to be a little on the dim side when compared to the Lumia 950 XL but, I haven't experienced it being too bright.

Other than the odd issue with the phone waking up while in the car, the only other screen oddity I've run across is that the Tap to Wake can be stubborn even after adjusting the sensitivity.

So far everything that I've found quirky about the x3 seems to be fixable with software tweaks. Which is good for HP if they keep pushing the updates out.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Can try to reduce the sensitivity settings in Extra.

Tried that and while it reduced the issues while on the road, you need a mallet to wake up the screen otherwise. I ended up turning the Tap to Wake feature off, but still get an occasional wake-up while in the cradle. Could be Qi related as well.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Have you found that tap-to-wake causes any additional battery drain when being used normally? I'm just setting up my x3 as my daily driver and was curious i battery life might take a hit since it's using motion sensors versus the digitizer on the Lumia 950/950XL.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Tried that and while it reduced the issues while on the road, you need a mallet to wake up the screen otherwise. I ended up turning the Tap to Wake feature off, but still get an occasional wake-up while in the cradle. Could be Qi related as well.

That would be my guess. If you barely nudge it it will act like you just placed it on charge, which lights up the screen.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Allen Rhodes
Originally Posted by George Ponder

That would be my guess. If you barely nudge it it will act like you just placed it on charge, which lights up the screen.

I played around with this on my own device this evening, and the double tap to wake seems very finicky when using the device in my hand, although I could see how the motions that happen when driving could cause it to freak out. I have disabled the double tap to wake on my x3 for now, may play with it more later.

babyishcare

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
I figured this feature needs its own thread, with the hope of getting HP's attention, because right now its pretty much a disaster. As best as I can tell, raise to wake doesn't work, period. Lower to sleep may work, but I wouldn't know, because the second you put the device down, even with sensitivity at the lowest, double-tap to wake just wakes the device again. And the best part is the flicker you get when you put the phone in a car mount. DT2W uses the accelerometer, which sounds fantastic, but the sensor obviously detects the vibrations of the car as taps and begins flashing the device on and off rapidly.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
, but the sensor obviously detects the vibrations of the car as taps and begins flashing the device on and off rapidly.
Is that with latest firmware? I understood they fixed the sensitivity. I was playing with DTTW but it isn't as smooth as on my 950xl or OneM8. Besides I use the fingerprint unlock now.

Sent from mTalk

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
There was an update after the latest firmware to the "app" I believe. After that it behaves a bit better, but not perfect and it still wakes up in the car but it depends on what car I drive. Wakes up a lot in my Volvo V70 but much less in my Citroen C5. :cool:

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I do believe there was a DTTW update in the last week or so. I didn't use the feature so not sure if it has been improved or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett