What is the best way to set up a new 950

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I purchased a used 950 from Swappa several weeks ago. I installed Windows Insider and run Release Preview. It runs fast and smooth.
I installed a 64GB MicroSd card where I store most apps, music and photos. However, since this phone is blessed with internal 32GB, I have the entire USA map, and several games including Asphault 8 Airborne stored on the device, as these programs run better from the device rather than the MicroSD card, IMO.
In addition, I spent a lot of time setting up my notifications. This can be somewhat tedious, but worth the effort.
To maximize the battery and get me through the day, I have carefully chosen which apps can run in the background. I keep the screen at 75% unless I'm outside, then bump it up to 100. I also purchased a cheap QI wireless charger and just lay the phone on it when I'm home.
To save cellular data usage and to increase upload and download speeds, I shut off the cellular data and have the phone set up to automatically connect with Wifi at home, too.
I have not been successful using Windows Hello, but didn't expect to since I wear progressive glasses.
Continuum does not interest me, and I use Cortana sparingly due to privacy concerns.
I enjoy tinkering with the start, lock screens and settings. The windows mobile OS can be frustrating, but I wouldn't have it any other way
I hope this helps you with your new 950:excited:

Archdean

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, I am a long time user of W10M with a 640 and 640xl .
Did you go directly to release preview or update in steps?

Continuum and Cortana does not interest me either :angel:

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
Once I received the phone, I simply turned it on and answered all the prompts for region, time zone, and Microsoft account.Then I waited for all the Microsoft installed apps and settings to be updated, then went right to the Release Preview. If I recall correctly, I had to install the Windows Insider from the store, but it might have installed with the initial phone setup.
By the way, my wife continues to enjoy her 640 with 8.1.

Archdean

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
My 640 updated last night to 15051.0 slow ring Insider preview and seems to be working well so far and very little battery usage do you recommend it for the 950?

all other comments are welcome as well, phone arrives tomorrow.

Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos