How is Lumia 950 XL in 2017 with Creators Update?

stringdt

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
i'm in the slow ring with the cu, nothing has changed to me, the phone always has been very responsive, but it stills warming like hell, the battery is decent but it could be better (aprox 8 hours with lte, gps activated, normal use)

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Fast Ring. With minimal to moderate usage, for example when at work where I use the phone mainly to make calls or surf a little social stuff, the phone lasts me about 7-8 hours, coming down from 100 to 30 percent battery. I've gotten more than 12 hours on a similar usage pattern with battery save on all the time. All the above are on LTE dual sim.

Performance wise apps seem to open faster, run stable as compared tp previous builds, overall a more polished feel (same as when the anniversary update had arrived). I would say performance is as I would expect from this phone.

Taking photos and videos is better, my phone doesn't heat up when doing so. However, the phone does heat up when put om charging some times. Phone heating up is much less frequent than I remember (or I may have gotten used to it).

Using the phone as a hotspot or similar uses, like processor heavy games, or prolonged camera use will start to drain the battery fast - since the first scenario is project wifi signals, and the others use the screen a lot.
Windows hello / iris scanner works much better, faster and quite reliable. Even works from a farther distance, the improvement is quite noticeable.

In some of the earlier builds the connect page in settings used to crash upon opening, but works fine now.

All in all, if you are thinking of installing, it's a good build/update

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Would you recommend buying a second hand 950 XL now?? Im fed up with Android and Apple has never been my thing

I have a similar conundrum, I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and, although hate is too strong I really can't get used to it. I've been eyeing another 950XL. What put me off before was the battery life but I may just have to put up with that.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, lumia 950XL on creators update is more or less the same as it was, when you left the platform (if you already owned it before):)

- battery life still mediocre
- iris scanner still load of crap
- camera still great:)

What changed: you can get it really cheap, it feels faster and edge is way better.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm on slow ring but have not gotten any updates at all.

My version is still: 10.0.15063.138

Check for updates all the time but there are never any available.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Updated today automatically and everything seems to be working fine. Still a bit warm after the update. I'm not on any of the Insider Rings. I may be hallucinating but Edge seems to work much faster after the CU update and the ability to read ebooks in Edge is a nice feature. Also noticed that Glance seems far more responsive but iris recognition (while wearing glasses) is still very poor.

Last edited:

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine updated overnight. Everything OK except the Barclays banking app and Pingit report my 950XL is "jailbroken" and won't let me launch the apps.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
... Also noticed that Glance seems far more responsive ...
...but it is automatically turned off with battery saver enabled. (See my thread on this.) Lots of people in the Feedback Hub complaining that we don't have the option to enable during battery saver like we used to.

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't aware of that so thanks for the heads up. I only have the battery saver turned on if the battery falls below 5% but never come near to depleting the battery.

tralphs

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone use the Bose QC20 with their 950XL. I have a ticking noise in the left ear piece when there is no audio output. The noise cancelling function has to be turned on to hear the ticking.
I just upgraded to the creator update but that didn't fix it.
Not sure if a hard reset would clear this issue.
It is fine with other headphones and the headphones work perfectly with any other device (Lumia 930 etc).
I have seen this issue reported in forums but there hasn't been a fix documented.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb