Went in for hardware issue with my 950 XL, came out with the Elite X3 =D (YRMV)

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience to all in cause people here are lurking and wanting to possibly hop on the X3 train. Today I was the last straw for my 950 XL, as it keeps freezing, delaying sent sms by 4-10 seconds, pictures don't show up after taking them ect. I made an appointment with the Microsoft Store at the Domain in Austin, TX to see what can be done about it. I do have Microsoft Complete, which covers you for 2 years on hardware/1 year for accidental damage.

When I mentioned the freezing phone, and showed a picture that a friend took of my screen, the employee immediately said its a static hardware issue and you can get a replacement. He then proceeded to tell me a "problem" they are dealing with right now, with the 950/950XL. He said that due to the Microsoft's removal of the Lumia line at stores, there are no replacements in stock, and that I would have to wait a week to get a replacement 950XL from somewhere else (I'm guessing wherever they are manufactured?), OR I can get refunded my $649 dollars in the form of Store Credit.

Of course I've been wanting to try out the X3 and this proposition was a no brainer. I left with a brand new X3, HP Silicone case, and HP Screen protector. In the meantime this will hold me over until the rumored Surface Phone comes out. So if you have Microsoft Complete on your 950/950 XL and have not exhausted your claims, this is the perfect opportunity to own this device without paying anything.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow that's awesome! Congrats on your x3 and I hope that you'll enjoy your new phone, along with that excellent battery life!

Please don't forget to share your impressions.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I haven't updated everything just yet (need wifi), but what I can tell immediately is how fast the IRIS scanner works and super long battery. My IRIS scanner on the 950xl would take a couple of seconds, where on this device its nearly instant.

saloei

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
The iris scanner is great but the fingerprint scanner is faster and more convenient. I have both enabled as I can't use the fingerprint scanner when using gloves.
If you're thinking of getting the Elite X3 phone, get your hands on one like this poster did and you too, will walk out with one in your pocket.
I have no regrets replacing my Lumia 950XL with the elite X3. I had the same exact complaints the original poster had with his Lumia 950XL. I didn't know the photo problems mentioned above were hardware related, but does explain why it couldn't be fixed with a firmware or Windows update.
If you're undecided in getting the elite x3, take a walk into a Microsoft store.

Last edited:

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Fantastic. Can't wait to see your impressions going forward. I love seeing the excitement and positivity over a new device.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the X3 crowd. Be sure and do the firmware updates so you have a decent experience. You will enjoy the device.

Sent from mTalk

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Be sure to give the fingerprint scanner a try too. It is faster and most of the time easier to use than the iris scanner.

I have MS Complete on my 950XL and should have lobbied harder to get it swapped for an x3 rather than paying for it :)...

Just kidding, enjoy the new device!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hypothetically, anyone who is still within the first year of purchase, with just the manufacturers warranty, should get the same treatment. Right? Of course, things like this are usually up to the discretion of the manager on duty.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
If you are experience a hardware issue yes. From what was explained to me, and the term "What Microsoft is doing.....", sounds like its company wide.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I returned mine the next day I got it unfortunately. There were 3 things I could just not get over.

1. There is no comparison between this camera and the 950 XL camera.

2. I could not record anything at 60fps. I cant remember the highest option, I believe it was 1080P /30fps.

3. You cannot turn off the camera/video sounds.

Otherwise this is an awesome phone, but just some of the things I could not get over. I ended up getting the refund and purchasing a 950 XL new from someone on Craigslist. If I were to come across this phone again for cheap, I would def pick it up as a back up.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I returned mine the next day I got it unfortunately. There were 3 things I could just not get over.

1. There is no comparison between this camera and the 950 XL camera.

2. I could not record anything at 60fps. I cant remember the highest option, I believe it was 1080P /30fps.

3. You cannot turn off the camera/video sounds.

Otherwise this is an awesome phone, but just some of the things I could not get over. I ended up getting the refund and purchasing a 950 XL new from someone on Craigslist. If I were to come across this phone again for cheap, I would def pick it up as a back up.

Aw that's a bummer. At least you tried it.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's how I got mine, went to change the 950xl, and the options were the store credit, our the phone, I should've taken the credit XD

Originally posted by Indistinguishable
Hypothetically, anyone who is still within the first year of purchase, with just the manufacturers warranty, should get the same treatment. Right? Of course, things like this are usually up to the discretion of the manager on duty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium