Biting the bullet and jumping in

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
eddieDOTexe ,This almost exact phone originally came with android from Alcatel. So you wouldn't recommend buying it ???

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's definitely a great looking phone and i almost never buy cases of screen protectors but this phone is too slippery more so than any other phones i had....i felt like i NEEDED a case and a screen protector lol

My car has aux port, so I'm stuck. But i talked to Alcatel on twitter they are saying you need a 3 ring aux cord for this phone ive been using a 2 ring, when i get some time this weekend I'm going to try Walmart or best buy and see if i can find a 3 ring aux cord to see if that works. I had bought a cheap one at 5 below after checking target and they didn't have one and it didn't work at all but I'll chalk that one up to a cheap cord
Sent from Idol 4s

Yeah, that three ring versus two ring thing can mess things up bad. Even different three ring cables don't always work perfectly. For my phone, I need three ring ones, and when I find 'the perfect cable
' I sort of treasure it lol.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
eddieDOTexe ,This almost exact phone originally came with android from Alcatel. So you wouldn't recommend buying it ???

If you like W10M the Idol 4S Windows is great hardware. I do not believe that eddieDOTexe is talking about hardware at all.

As for stability, I've not had stability issues with my Idol 4S.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If you like W10M the Idol 4S Windows is great hardware. I do not believe that eddieDOTexe is talking about hardware at all.

As for stability, I've not had stability issues with my Idol 4S.
Ya, I have noticed that even though it does not have all the bells and whistles of features right out the gate that it seems to never hiccup either. I guess it goes with the territory. Run it stock as long a you can to asses stability, then add new features, tweaks, and such. Even though Alcatel has not done that themselves, I have went ahead and done more than a handful of tweaks to help my self enjoy and quite happily use the phone while being productive all the same. But it comes with the occasional hiccups, but I know what it is from...other than my share of use out of the phone, it is a good kick starter for the consumer wanting W10M right now.

Windows_Phone_Joe

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I have been an active member at a sister site, CrackBerry. I purchased my first BlackBerry in 2005 and I have been a user pretty much ever since. I have left at times only to return. I have always loved my physical keyboards and BlackBerry's build construction. However, I feel as though all of that is changing now. BlackBerry has abandoned BB10. My prized BB10 phones such as the Classic and the Passport are dying a slow and painful death. BlackBerry has decided to go the route of using Android on their devices now. I have the Priv, their first foray into BlackBerry Android, and have been patiently awaiting their new offering in the KEYone. The problem with the Priv, and assumingly the KEYone, is that the have Android...which I absolutely do not like. I have tried, and tried, and tried, to get on board with Android. Unfortunately, despite what phone I have used running it, it has the same reoccurring issues. Battery drain. Apps crashing. System stalling. God the system stalling. Every time I try to use one I start with feeling hopeful and then that quickly fades away.

Therefore I am now forced to perhaps abandon the platform that I have supported for well over a decade. A platform that I own stock in. I have been a dedicated user, a faithful soldier. I am still going to buy the KEYone when it is finally released. I will give it a honest try. But given that it has Android I am not overly hopeful that I will be pleased.

As much as I dislike Android though I have a similar disdain for iPhone. I d not care for their ecosystem and I do not like the general attitude towards Apple and how they can seemingly do no wrong. That lead me with no viable option for a smartphone with the exception of Windows. During one of my times away from BlackBerry I had used a Dell Venue Pro which I thoroughly enjoyed. Later I used the HTC M8 which was good, albeit got hot. Both great phones at their time.

Upon making the decision to start a slow integration into Windows Phone I started looking at handsets. This is where I was most surprised. It does not seems that there has been many handsets released recently. I see the 950/950xl. Both which I was familiar with having read about them at the time of their release. I also discovered the HP Elite X3 and the Alcatel Idol 4S. I was prepared to pull the trigger on the Elite X3 that was being sold here in the Marketplace when I stumbled upon the Idol 4S being sold at half the price. I pulled the trigger and purchased a new in the box device for $250.

SO, long post to get here. Are there any tips or information that I should know about in regards to this phone? Any suggestions one could give in setting it up, etc? Thank you for reading my post and commenting.

I love my Alcatel Idol 4s. If you are current Windows Phone user and your upgrading to this phone, make sure you upgrade the phone before doing a restore from your previous phone. All sorts of problems can occur if you do not do it that way. Brightness issue is one of them. the phone feels good in the hand, but so hard to find a rugged case for it. it's fast and haven't had any issues with it. Battery life is very nice too. By the time I've done a little more than 8 hours at work I am surprised to see that it is barely at 40 to 50%, which means I probably still have about a good 12 hours to go. It's been five hours since my last charge and it's at 85% with 22 hours left to go. Very nice screen as well. Apps I use are "Perfect Tube" for YouTube which I prefer over the regular app on other platforms. Poki to access getpocket.com, and CNX Player for watching personal videos or downloaded videos. Currently running a 64gb micro sd for all my storage. I sometimes slide my finger on the fingerprint sensor so that It can recognize my fingerprint faster.

klewis2046

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Back in the day, the only phone that I would only look at is a BB phone. The BB Bold was my last BB phone. Used several android phones and a Iphone 4 until I migrated over to windows. My first Windows Phone was the Lumia 935. The Live tiles caught my eye, I was hooked after that regardless of the lack of apps. Been using windows phones ever since with no looking back. Just upgraded recently from the L640 to the Idol 4S which was a huge upgrade. The speed alone of the Idol 4S is amazing. I don’t think that I can go below the specs of the Idol 4S when it’s time to upgrade again. Of course, I still love the live tiles especially when there live inside the folders on the Start Menu. The option of adjusting the transparency of the tiles is another great feature I love. I use One Note mostly throughout the day between work and home, so it is great that I can sync my One Note with my phone and PC using Windows 10. Being able to play my music between the Idol 4S, PC and Xbox One is great. I recently had no problems projecting the Idol 4s to my smart screen with no problems. The Idol4S handled the wireless projection with no problems, worked great.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fast ring and no problems. Phone runs great. Only thing id say to do is def get a case and tempered glass screen protectors the phone looks great but very slippery in hand with no case. There's also some well known headphone jack issues

Sent from Idol 4s

What's WRRT? if that just a typo for Windows recovery tool! I'm trying to find out before going insiders on my new unlocked 4S (coming today) does recovery tool have software fire the unlocked version?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What's WRRT? if that just a typo for Windows recovery tool! I'm trying to find out before going insiders on my new unlocked 4S (coming today) does recovery tool have software fire the unlocked version?
Last I checked no. It's taking an insane amount of time. Beginning to think they are preparing to clean up the tool for the idol or other devices maybe harden the unlocked ffu...I have no clue why it is still not there. Alcatel probably is not much influence in getting it up faster.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
A bit off topic I know but now that I just got my 4S I installed the Facebook app made by Facebook the font is very small compared to what it was with Microsoft's Facebook app on my 640 and 640XL. Am I missing something or does anyone else see this issue. I would like a bit larger font. All other apps font is bigger, like Twitter. Oh, FB Messenger is also very small font. Anyone know how to sideload or install the Microsoft FB app?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
A bit off topic I know but now that I just got my 4S I installed the Facebook app made by Facebook the font is very small compared to what it was with Microsoft's Facebook app on my 640 and 640XL. Am I missing something or does anyone else see this issue. I would like a bit larger font. All other apps font is bigger, like Twitter. Oh, FB Messenger is also very small font. Anyone know how to sideload or install the Microsoft FB app?

FB is in the windows store.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Did you go insiders with your Idol 4S?

your phone is currently supported and will get the latest updates, I see no point in getting unstable fast ring builds. Unless you really want to get latest, greatest and buggiest LOL!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Settings > System > Display > Size of text, apps and items on this display > crank it up...

Does windows 10 mobile have custom scaling?

Uh, yup...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
On low resolution screen fonts will look bigger. On high resolution screen fonts will be smaller.
That might not necessarily be the case. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop on all my devices and the icons and fonts are noticeably larger on my Idol than on my iPhone or Android. All 3 have 5-1/2" displays and all 3 have the same FHD resolution.

The "new" Facebook app is a Project Islandwood product and may be scaled to iOS standards. Personally, I always liked the larger fonts since I'm no longer 20/20.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
That might not necessarily be the case. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop on all my devices and the icons and fonts are noticeably larger on my Idol than on my iPhone or Android. All 3 have 5-1/2" displays and all 3 have the same FHD resolution.

The "new" Facebook app is a Project Islandwood product and may be scaled to iOS standards. Personally, I always liked the larger fonts since I'm no longer 20/20.

There ya go. Me too. HAHA. I'd like all apps to have options for; small, medium, and large font options.

Felix Canales

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
Originally posted by steadydon

Go to Settings/Ease of access/ here you can adjust the "text scaling" option.
Alternative you also can adjust another scaling value in Settings/display/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos